Ok some I am thinking about adding some new colors to my guitar. The only problem is that I have never painted before.

I want to add Blue bevels on my solid black guitar to you know....make it my own.

2 questions
Is it ok to use spray paint??
Should I use clear-coat spay on top?

Any tips??

I want to do somthing like this.
i doubt painting over a polyurethane finish will work well. you would probably have to sand where you want to paint and then use primer to get it to stick. if you want it to look good you should probably just disassemble, sand it down and start from scratch. if youve never painted before it will look bad no matter what you do. it takes a little experience even to just spray paint something and leave a smooth and even coat. i would suggest learning on something cheaper than a guitar.
you can head to home depot or whatever even like..micheals and get wood primer and like lacquer
tape it up to make it clean
So you don't think it will work if I spray over the polyurethane finish, let it dry then at 1 or 2 clear coats?
Quote by King of King V
So you don't think it will work if I spray over the polyurethane finish, let it dry then at 1 or 2 clear coats?

HELL no. Never spray over Poly..
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.