so right now i have this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=482627&index=4

but i need more..i feel like its not powerful enough so im looking to put this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MC412-4X12-200W-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=600556

and this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC100-Classic-Plus-100w-Amp-Head?sku=481028

together...

do you think its a good idea?

and while im here..can you help explain the difference between solid state, tube, and hybrid amp heads?
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Well i know the head is good, not sure about the cabinet though.

can you tell me some stuff about the head?

i have always been a vox man

really want a tube amp..and that vox head is a tubed head...

i just want to try a different cabinet while sticking to a vintaged style..and i figured marshall is my best bet

would i want to get the 200 watt marshall cabinet shown or..

this one?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1960-300W-4x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=605013

or is there much of a difference?
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
It's not powerful enough?
What do you play for crowds of a million people or something?

And obviously get the Marshall 1960 cab. The other one you pointed out is disgusting.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
It's not powerful enough?
What do you play for crowds of a million people or something?

And obviously get the Marshall 1960 cab. The other one you pointed out is disgusting.

can you help me understand why?

oh and no i dont play for that big of crowds..but i just need more!

Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by enselmis
first one, full stack is wayyyyy too loud for anything but arenas

GTFO

and yeah, the Vox is a british voiced amp, it's good for classic rock, but not really for anything more gain wise then that, the cleans are really nice i thought and it's an acclaimed brand, even there SS modellers are great. Try it out and see if it's for you, cause there not for everyone.
The head is pretty awesome man but with a ****ty cab it won't sound like it could. I see Marshall 1960 cabs go for 400ish used all the time and they are some of the most popular cabs around.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by enselmis
first one, full stack is wayyyyy too loud for anything but arenas

The second link just has a picture of a full stack, but TS would only buy one of the cabs.

I say get the 1960A with that head if you want to get a big name cab, but you should look into Avatar cabinets (www.avatarspeakers.com). You really only need a 212 to go with that head, and it will be plenty loud. It'll be like $350 and you can get all kinds of cool colors, and the same speakers that are in that marshall cab (V30s).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^ yeah i don't know much about that cab, but from the opinions here, i'd say the 1960 would be better.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
GTFO

and yeah, the Vox is a british voiced amp, it's good for classic rock, but not really for anything more gain wise then that, the cleans are really nice i thought and it's an acclaimed brand, even there SS modellers are great. Try it out and see if it's for you, cause there not for everyone.

well i love vox to death...i love everything about vox..so its for me

i play more vintaged stuff anyways

Quote by Sid McCall
The second link just has a picture of a full stack, but TS would only buy one of the cabs.

I say get the 1960A with that head if you want to get a big name cab, but you should look into Avatar cabinets (www.avatarspeakers.com). You really only need a 212 to go with that head, and it will be plenty loud. It'll be like $350 and you can get all kinds of cool colors, and the same speakers that are in that marshall cab (V30s).

im looking for a 4x12...just cause

your link doesnt work
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
the head would be nice but for the cab you wouldnt be getting anything better than what you already have. you could upgrade for a little less by getting some premium speakers ( i recommend vintage 30s, who doesnt?) and loading up your current cab with them and it would blow away that marshall cab. as for the other question SS amps have a digital preamp and a digital power amp and sound very ummm... digital. tube amps use tubes in the preamp and in the power section and sound warmer with better distortion and have a more "organic" response to player inputs. hybrids try to get some tube goodness at a lower price by using some solid state components to save money. there are a few different hybrids out there. some are all tube and just have digital FX in there and usually sound very good and tubelike. some have just a tube preamp so you can get tube distortion like if you had a distortion pedal with tubes in it like an english muffin or tonebone but run that into a digital power amp robbing you of the best kind of tube distortion, face melting poweramp distortion sweetness. and there are some (rarely enough that i cant remember an example right now) that have a digital preamp and run into a tube power amp so you can get some ripping tube distortion but you have to get it by cranking it all the way up and the preamp usually still colors the sound in a cold digital way. just go all tube and you wont have to worry about anything. except for retubing it every year or so.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
the head would be nice but for the cab you wouldnt be getting anything better than what you already have. you could upgrade for a little less by getting some premium speakers ( i recommend vintage 30s, who doesnt?) and loading up your current cab with them and it would blow away that marshall cab. as for the other question SS amps have a digital preamp and a digital power amp and sound very ummm... digital. tube amps use tubes in the preamp and in the power section and sound warmer with better distortion and have a more "organic" response to player inputs. hybrids try to get some tube goodness at a lower price by using some solid state components to save money. there are a few different hybrids out there. some are all tube and just have digital FX in there and usually sound very good and tubelike. some have just a tube preamp so you can get tube distortion like if you had a distortion pedal with tubes in it like an english muffin or tonebone but run that into a digital power amp robbing you of the best kind of tube distortion, face melting poweramp distortion sweetness. and there are some (rarely enough that i cant remember an example right now) that have a digital preamp and run into a tube power amp so you can get some ripping tube distortion but you have to get it by cranking it all the way up and the preamp usually still colors the sound in a cold digital way. just go all tube and you wont have to worry about anything. except for retubing it every year or so.

thanks

but where would i got to get my cabinet modified??

can you give me a link to some good speakers?

and i am looking for a cabinet with more power..higher wattage levels and what ever...beter ohms

that kinda stuff.
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by amazing FretMan
thanks

and i am looking for a cabinet with more power..higher wattage levels and what ever...beter ohms

that kinda stuff.

a bigger cab won't let you get any louder, just more head room (so it sounds different when you push it more)
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
a bigger cab won't let you get any louder, just more head room (so it sounds different when you push it more)

well i wouldnt want to blow out my cabinet or anything..i play pretty loud hah

i just want a great sounding cab..but i want it to be different from what i have...i only trust marshall and vox..so yeah..

hiwatts are to expensive anyways..
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by amazing FretMan
thanks

that kinda stuff.

Argh, people in this thread are frustrating me.

Okay, for one TS, the wattage of your cabinet won't make you sound louder,
its the wattage of the head that = volume
ohms aren't something that can be measured in quality, ohms are the electrical resistance between the head and the cab, they both have to match up.
Also, a 212 cabinet is as loud as a 412 cabinet, the only difference is that a 412 makes you seem cooler =P

Okay to add on to this:
Your cabinet won't friggin' blow out.
They don't just explode if you turn your volume past 8.
As long as the cabinets wattage is equal, or more than the heads wattage,
and you won't be able to find a 412 cab below 100 watts anyways.

And trusting only Marshall and Vox is a really REALLY closed-minded thing to do.
There are many better brands out there.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Mar 2, 2009,
^ Yeah, i know that, i was saying i agree with the rest of the posters that it is better then the cabinet in the OP
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Argh, people in this thread are frustrating me.

Okay, for one TS, the wattage of your cabinet won't make you sound louder,
its the wattage of the head that = volume
ohms aren't something that can be measured in quality, ohms are the electrical resistance between the head and the cab, they both have to match up.
Also, a 212 cabinet is as loud as a 412 cabinet, the only difference is that a 412 makes you seem cooler =P

And to PollywantsCrack no, Avatar cabinets are equal in quality, if not BETTER than marshall 1960's.

i know the cab wattage wont make you sound louder i meant that i want the wattage to be higher so it can handle the head..

and i just started reading up on ohms..so yeah thanks for teaching me something!

and 4x12 makes me feel badass..thats why i want it lol

so you would recommend the 1960's marshall cab?
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Hey Fret Man!!!! Haven't seen you in forever since I left the Pit. But yeah, what they're saying is good stuff. I suggest avatar because they're custom cabs, handmade, and you can choose the speaker. www.avatarspeakers.com

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Mar 2, 2009,
Oh, my bad Polly, I interpreted your post wrong.

TS: Just remember that you can get a 212 cabinet of MUCH higher quality for the same
price as the 1960.

Also I would suggest Avatar if you live in the U.S.
Theres many many cabinet companies and brands that have better
cabs than the 1960 (although the 1960 is still a nice cab) but if
you're really glued to marshall, then just go for it.

Oh, and again make sure that the ohmage on the 1960 and your head match up when you buy the new equipment.
If they aren't it'll REALLY damage your amp.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
you should be able to mod it yourelf. you just take out the old speakers and put the new ones in the same way the old came out. just make sure the polarity (ie positive and negative, or + and-) are hooked up the right way around on the speaker terminals. oh and that second marshall cab you mentioned is much nicer than the one for the MG series you were talking about at first. the 1960 cab would be nicely voiced for the also brittish sounding vox.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Hey Fret Man!!!! Haven't seen you in forever since I left the Pit. But yeah, what they're saying is good stuff. I suggest avatar because they're custom cabs, handmade, and you can choose the speaker. www.avatarspeakers.com

hey whats up!!

thanks i will look into the avatars....what are amazingly awesome fantastic speakers?
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
lots. Some good ones are the hellatone 30's and hellatones 60's. They're Celestion v15s and v30s, but the guys at avatar break them in for you somehow, they have a page on what they do to them, but all I know is that they sound awesome. They have G12T-75s, which were used in a lot of old Marshall cabs, but I personally don't like them that much, but you might. And try to get around your amp's wattage if you want the speakers to get a good breakup. if you get the 4x12, you might want the 30watt speakers instead so you will have 120 watts and get a good breakup.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
you should be able to mod it yourelf. you just take out the old speakers and put the new ones in the same way the old came out. just make sure the polarity (ie positive and negative, or + and-) are hooked up the right way around on the speaker terminals. oh and that second marshall cab you mentioned is much nicer than the one for the MG series you were talking about at first. the 1960 cab would be nicely voiced for the also brittish sounding vox.

The first cab isn't an MG cab, but it's still no where near as good as the 1960 cab, but do check out avatarspeakers.com