I wouldn't think so
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
.........you have more pieces in your neck than anyone else
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Depends.

They are more stable and less susceptible to humidity and and stuff like that. If they contain different woods they can add a new dimension of tone, and look really awesome.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
theyre stronger and look better depending on taste but thats about it
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
The manufacturers have the ability to use less wood when making a multi piece neck since it can be fitted together instead of cut and carved form one solid chunk of wood.The way the laminates run in the the neck also helps to prevent warping,or so I've been told.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

they're stronger, but if i'm not mistaken they can hurt your sustain?
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Not that I can think of.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Sam_Prillaman
they're stronger, but if i'm not mistaken they can hurt your sustain?
This is exactly it. They'll also naturally dampen the response of your guitar, effectively making your tone muddier.

Generally speaking they're not a good idea unless the neck is very thin and it is going to often be set up for different tunings, especially with unusually thick strings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
From the little searching I did it seems theres no real scientific fact in regards to the tone difference of laminates v 1 piece. There were lots of opinions. The acoustic guys seems to like em. And seem to be popular with 12 strings due to the extra strength. Most wont notice any real tone difference between laminate and 1 piece, except we havent heard from eric johnson on the subject yet. This might end up like the bolt/set/neck thru debate. Or the flat/quarter sawn debate. With the various sides debating their opinions to the bitter end with no real facts to justify any 1 theory. I have a warmoth 5 piece mahogany neck on a guitar, plays good stays in tune, but it would be hard to compare to my other mahogany necked guitar as its a set neck LP.
They are stronger than other necks.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It looks awesome with trans finish Imo
Less chance of warping or twisting
Stronger neck
Ibanez ICT-700 WH

Behringer V-Amp Pro

Fender Frontman 25A
Quote by MrFlibble
This is exactly it. They'll also naturally dampen the response of your guitar, effectively making your tone muddier.

Generally speaking they're not a good idea unless the neck is very thin and it is going to often be set up for different tunings, especially with unusually thick strings.

I'd say this may be close to correct.

I have an Ibanez RGR421EXFM with a 5 piece maple neck and it sounds muddy to an extent (not in a bad way for me though, the tone is perfect for what I want, love it).
Although this may be mostly or all because of the V8 and V7 pickups which are muddy themselves.

When I read this comment I was like "sweeeeet" cos the neck is thin for most guitars (quite thick for an Ibanez however), I change tunings a lot with it and I use quite heavy strings lol.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Mar 3, 2009,