Page 1 of 2
Alrighty, so here is the deal. I have a Line 6 Spider III (lame, i know) and i am always playing on the Bumblefoot 1 setting. It has the perfect amount of distortion that I need. So when i upgrade to my new amp what distortion pedal could i use to replicate the Bumblefoot 1 setting? So I basically need a pedal that has A WHOLE LOT OF DISTORTION. I have a Jemini pedal and it just doesnt give me enough distortion. So what should I get?

I hope this in the right forum btw. If not just tell me where to put it.

Thanks

EDIT: I play mostly metal. And my guitar is a Jackson Kelly KE3.
Last edited by a7xplayer at Mar 2, 2009,
My Boss mt-2 metal zone is really good i have one but byfar and im embarresed to say this is my podxt ha its got the best dis.
The best bang for your buck would probably be either a BOSS Metal Zone or a BOSS Metal Core. Go to your local Guitar Center and try them both out. Even though they may sound like the same pedal by looking at the name, there is a big difference between the two. Also, try the Metal Muff. I have had no experience with it but UGer's rave about it here.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45 1x12
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS CE-2 Chorus
ISP Decimator
The muff is bad ass. I have a Big muff and fits my distortion needs. But yeah I also heard the Metal Muff is pretty good as well.
i dont really have a price range. and, is there some sort of pedal that has kinda knobs at the top where i can find whatever tone i like and then save it to a certain button on the pedal. i was thinking it would be nice to click a button and be on clean then click and be on distortion, and then click to get some crunch? atleast 5 buttons would be nice so i get 2 cleans, 2 distortions, and a crunch?
when you get a new amp, just use the amp's distortion...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by a7xplayer
how about the line 6 podxt live?

I've got the POD XT Live and the distortions on board are just so-so in my opinion. I favor the proco rat model over the tubescreamer, but check it out for yourself to be sure. If your willing to shell out the bucks for a POD you may want to look at some of the higher gain boutique pedals. Wampler, skreddy, barber, etc all have some excellent pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Why would you want to buy a new amp if your happy with your spider's distortion? And why would want the exact same crappy distortion you already have with a new amp? Seriously, it doesn't make sense.

If you want to get spider distortion out of a pedal, id suggest a boss metalzone. If you want good distortion, buy a good tube amp, and a nice overdrive pedal to tighten the sound up.

And if you don't get it by now:

A: Buy a good amp and realize that spider's distortion is crap.
B: Waste your money on a junk amp and junk pedal and get the horrible spider distortion.
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
Why would you want to buy a new amp if your happy with your spider's distortion? And why would want the exact same crappy distortion you already have with a new amp? Seriously, it doesn't make sense.

If you want to get spider distortion out of a pedal, id suggest a boss metalzone. If you want good distortion, buy a good tube amp, and a nice overdrive pedal to tighten the sound up.

B: Waste your money on a junk amp and junk pedal and get the horrible spider distortion.

He said he wanted the same amount of distortion, not the same distiortion tonally.

But I agree on getting a decent amp that has the distortion he requires, rather than skimping on the amp and getting a pedal. TS - what amp are you looking at to replace the Spider?
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
when you get a new amp, just use the amp's distortion...

This
And this:

Quote by Lefty Guitarist

Quote by Lefty Guitarist

i hate the spider. but it isnt as bad as everyone says so. and i love the amount of distortion i get out of it. and i need a bigger amp with better tone. so stop jumping on the spider hate bandwagon. they are bad bud great practise and jam amps. they sound really bad with pedals too
Quote by Mathamology
He said he wanted the same amount of distortion, not the same distiortion tonally.

But I agree on getting a decent amp that has the distortion he requires, rather than skimping on the amp and getting a pedal. TS - what amp are you looking at to replace the Spider?

im not sure what kinda amp yet. possibly marshall. not sure. maybe a carvin legacy
Quote by youngncy
My Boss mt-2 metal zone is really good i have one but byfar and im embarresed to say this is my podxt ha its got the best dis.

nothing wrong with the pod XT

I use one for recording.. it takes a fair bit of tweaking but is certainly capable of great results.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by a7xplayer
no. then i cant just flick through tones and stuff quickly. and i might not like the distortion that comes with the amp

... how about you get a decent amp that you like the distortion on. Right now it sounds like all you've ever played is a Spider III and you won't know real tone or distortion until you stop trying to make yourself sound like a Spider.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I would never suggest using the amps distortion unless you have a NICE tube amp, but even then, you wont get the amount of distortion you want. Like youve read, EHX's metal muff is pretty good. Also Rat distortion is good and a Fetish distortion can put out some pretty gritty gain based stuff you want. I've never been TOO impressed with any Boss distortion, but they have some good overdrives. Id go for the Rat or Fetish distortions. You could find a nice used one somewhere.
Don't get any pedal other than an EQ or wah (or MAYBE a whammy but that's pushing it) for a moddelling amp - it'll sound like arse.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
If you think you can afford Marshall or Carvin, get a Carvin V3. It's multi channel, can get lots of distortion, and you can flick through tones with the footswitch!!! Good grief, you will live if your amp doesn't have 1,000,000,000,000 tones you won't use. Between, three channels, and your guitar's pickups, that should be enough tones to flick through... Also...you usually try amps out before you buy. How else do you know if it sounds good??? Anyway, you might also look into a Bugera 333XL halfstack. I got metal sounds with the gain on 3.5!
Quote by epiphonesg94
I would never suggest using the amps distortion unless you have a NICE tube amp, but even then, you wont get the amount of distortion you want. Like youve read, EHX's metal muff is pretty good. Also Rat distortion is good and a Fetish distortion can put out some pretty gritty gain based stuff you want. I've never been TOO impressed with any Boss distortion, but they have some good overdrives. Id go for the Rat or Fetish distortions. You could find a nice used one somewhere.

TS, just get a different amp with a gain channel you like. It's not rocket science.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Mar 7, 2009,
buy a Carvin tube amp, they rock
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
k. lets put myself in a scenario. im playing a song. im using distortion from the amp. then all of a sudden a clean bit comes up. and i am 5 feet away from my amp. i cant just use mind powers to make it go clean. everything is easier with the foot. im not gonna use the amp distortion. i want pedals. its easier to get the tone i like.
Quote by stratman_13

TS, just get a different amp with a gain channel you like. It's not rocket science.

Well, thats true, but I've never been too impressed with a soild states gain channel, but I can be proved wrong. I just like using pedals for the ease and control.
Quote by stratman_13

This
Quote by a7xplayer
k. lets put myself in a scenario. im playing a song. im using distortion from the amp. then all of a sudden a clean bit comes up. and i am 5 feet away from my amp. i cant just use mind powers to make it go clean. everything is easier with the foot. im not gonna use the amp distortion. i want pedals. its easier to get the tone i like.

No disrespect, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Have you never heard of a footswitch? My friend has a Mesa Boogie 5:25, and uses a normal Mesa footswitch for distortion, because the distortion he has rocks. You seem absolutely determined not to find a way to have a thousand settings on one amp.

As for a couple of your other remarks, you're not going to find many pedals that will save five different distortion settings for you... unless it's some Line 6 digital processor or something.

If you really want that many different distortions, buy a bunch of good pedals. Don't think that Spider is the only way to have availablility to a wide variety of sounds. I have never found a need for more than two types of distortion: light and heavy. You want in between? Get a tube, and use the volume knob to roll back on the gain and clean it up a bit.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Quote by a7xplayer
no. then i cant just flick through tones and stuff quickly. and i might not like the distortion that comes with the amp

ever heard of a footswitch for an amp? and i hope you realize that distortion pedals are trying to imitate amp distortion
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
ever heard of a footswitch for an amp? and i hope you realize that distortion pedals are trying to imitate amp distortion

Best thing for you to do is get a decent valve amp and then if you really need that extra boost then I would recommend a good OD pedal.

Like a maxon which drives the amp even harder causing further breakup in the sound at least... this is what I would do
Quote by OneTimer1127
No disrespect, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Have you never heard of a footswitch? My friend has a Mesa Boogie 5:25, and uses a normal Mesa footswitch for distortion, because the distortion he has rocks. You seem absolutely determined not to find a way to have a thousand settings on one amp.

As for a couple of your other remarks, you're not going to find many pedals that will save five different distortion settings for you... unless it's some Line 6 digital processor or something.

If you really want that many different distortions, buy a bunch of good pedals. Don't think that Spider is the only way to have availablility to a wide variety of sounds. I have never found a need for more than two types of distortion: light and heavy. You want in between? Get a tube, and use the volume knob to roll back on the gain and clean it up a bit.

yes i have heard of a foot switch. but seriously, i have tried many amps and i cant get enough distortion out of them. i am looking for ALOT of distortion. and i dont think spider is the only way to have a large variety. everyone has there style of what they like and what they dont. personally i like to be able to just tap my foot and be on a distorted setting. then come up to a part where i need more and then i can tap my foot and have even more.
Yeah, but with something like an FBV footswitch, you can select between the 4 saved channels on your amp. Plus, it comes with a volume pedal/crappy wah.

You can set each channel up, one for clean, one for driven, one for heavy distortion, one with effects maybe... you can even set the heavy channel with the distortion boost. Green Insane, I think, has a wide range of sounds with the Mid knob.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by leondb
Yeah, but with something like an FBV footswitch, you can select between the 4 saved channels on your amp. Plus, it comes with a volume pedal/crappy wah.

You can set each channel up, one for clean, one for driven, one for heavy distortion, one with effects maybe... you can even set the heavy channel with the distortion boost. Green Insane, I think, has a wide range of sounds with the Mid knob.

ok. thanks for this. ya thats all i really need. i think.
Quote by a7xplayer
yes i have heard of a foot switch. but seriously, i have tried many amps and i cant get enough distortion out of them. i am looking for ALOT of distortion. and i dont think spider is the only way to have a large variety. everyone has there style of what they like and what they dont. personally i like to be able to just tap my foot and be on a distorted setting. then come up to a part where i need more and then i can tap my foot and have even more.

Well you can use the amp's distorsion and have an overdrive pedal to boost it up and get more distorsion. You could also look at the Blackstar HT Dual, wich is a pedal with 2 channels, one clean/crunch and one distorted
Quote by a7xplayer

1. learn to not cover your playing up with gain
2. on many amps, there'll be three channels, or a gain boost, so that you can add more distortion when you need
3. i dont get why you think amps dont have enough gain, have you ever tried a good high gain amp?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
If you want MORE gain out of a Spider, then your concept of gain is wrong.
The Spider has an absolute shit ton of gain.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Page 1 of 2