So one day i was rummaging through a friends attic (He and his wife had just moved in and anything in the attic they said was "Up for grabs") And i found this Old electric guitar. The only clue to what brand it was was a little sticker saying "Prestige" On the Headstock.

Google only came up prestige guitars, but only with their catalog of new, shiny guitars..

I was thinking maybe someone on Ultimate guitar may know what model it is.

Here are pictures of the body and neck:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a336/rinku411/FILE0074.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a336/rinku411/FILE0075.jpg

All i really want to know is the model, Or when it was made.. Or both.

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum.
That's amazing. I would keep that guitar and play it for the rest of my days
Sweet. Does it sound good? Either way, it looks like it would be a nice axe to have around regardless of what brand it is.
idk if its the same guitar, but one of my roommates has a guitar that looks just like this one. his is a 1970s (i believe), gibson made, 'affordable' guitar. basically his is an epiphone-like guitar as in its the cheaper version of the gibson counterpart.

EDIT: my roommate has two off brand 70s guitars, i got the other one confused with this one, his that looks like this is made by Global and looks exactly like that except with a black pickguard
Last edited by Twelf_Fret at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by ortrigger
Sweet. Does it sound good? Either way, it looks like it would be a nice axe to have around regardless of what brand it is.

It sounds a bit dull, but with the right amp settings it sounds ok. And i think there is a short in the cord socket, Because if it is jiggled by accident, The sound cuts out.

Other than that and the strings (Yes i haven't changed the strings at all) Its an ok guitar.
I figured I'd go and post those for you:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Rinku
It sounds a bit dull, but with the right amp settings it sounds ok. And i think there is a short in the cord socket, Because if it is jiggled by accident, The sound cuts out.

Other than that and the strings (Yes i haven't changed the strings at all) Its an ok guitar.

Throw one of these puppies on it and re-do all the electronics and then string change and you should have a wonderful instrument. 130 USD for everything, maybe.
It's a rebranded Teisco Audtion/Cameo, I believe. I acutally just picked up a Global that's very similar and I've got an older Kent/Guyatone/Teisco body that I modded. Those older pickups can sound pretty awesome. If I'm not mistaken, that is in fact a tiesco gold foil pickup in there, which is a VERY nice sounding pickup. I'm personally rather impressed with the pickups in these old japanese numbers and would suggest not changing it out. If the neck's still good, you can have a pretty nice sounding/playing unique instrument there. My Global wasn't as lucky, the frets were mangled, so I ordered some extra jumbo fret wire and I'm doing my first refretting on this pos, these old japanese guitars are also cool for projects.

If you're looking to sell it, I wouldn't expect to fetch much more than $50-$100 for it.

edit: I should add, those gold foil pickups have a great "dirty" blues sound to them. I believe Roy Cooder had one in his strat, alone with a vintage National lap steel pickup.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
It's a rebranded Teisco Audtion/Cameo, I believe. I acutally just picked up a Global that's very similar and I've got an older Kent/Guyatone/Teisco body that I modded. Those older pickups can sound pretty awesome. If I'm not mistaken, that is in fact a tiesco gold foil pickup in there, which is a VERY nice sounding pickup. I'm personally rather impressed with the pickups in these old japanese numbers and would suggest not changing it out. If the neck's still good, you can have a pretty nice sounding/playing unique instrument there. My Global wasn't as lucky, the frets were mangled, so I ordered some extra jumbo fret wire and I'm doing my first refretting on this pos, these old japanese guitars are also cool for projects.

If you're looking to sell it, I wouldn't expect to fetch much more than $50-$100 for it.

edit: I should add, those gold foil pickups have a great "dirty" blues sound to them. I believe Roy Cooder had one in his strat, alone with a vintage National lap steel pickup.

When i first found it i was thinking of selling it, but i decided to hang onto it when i played it.

heh, I haven't the money for changing anything out on this thing except maybe the strings and the nut. The strings are very much acoustic like (the G string is wound steel) and don't bend very well, so i'll probably switch them out. And yeah it sounds good for blues.

Thanks man, I'm glad someone knew what it was
Quote by Rinku
When i first found it i was thinking of selling it, but i decided to hang onto it when i played it.

heh, I haven't the money for changing anything out on this thing except maybe the strings and the nut. The strings are very much acoustic like (the G string is wound steel) and don't bend very well, so i'll probably switch them out. And yeah it sounds good for blues.

Thanks man, I'm glad someone knew what it was

yeah, those things really aren't worth selling. I know way too much about those old 60's and 70's japanese guitars (I own 4, for christ's sake!), but you can really get some winners out of the pile.
Quote by Thomme
yeah, those things really aren't worth selling. I know way too much about those old 60's and 70's japanese guitars (I own 4, for christ's sake!), but you can really get some winners out of the pile.

70's Japanese guitars = FTW.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by Rtard_GWARRIOR
70's Japanese guitars = FTW.

'specially the well made lawsuit copies. I've seen a lot of 70's japanese guitars that are just garbage... like the bolt on LP copies with the funky sized humbuckers that buck hum.... yeesh. I got lucky with my Ibanez, Sigma and the freaky thing I got, not so lucky with the Global, just put the first 12 frets in today, they don't seat correctly! Apparently the 70's japanese fretwire was much thicker than today's stuff!
I Got a Very Similar One That Looks almost exactly what you got but mine has a slight difrence in the Body, 3 Pickups and a Whammy Bar and its very hard to find the value :l It als has the "Prestige" Brand At a The Headstock Of the Guitar
Last edited by shadow0895 at Sep 9, 2010,
Of course it sounds dull TS, only god knows how long those strings have been on there. Get some new ones on ASAP!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I got on of these from a family friend whos son messed it up pretty bad. the fact that its as old as dirt doesnt help either. I have been wondering where i can find identical parts to rebuild it and havent found anything yet. and suggestions?
Quote by shadow0895
I Got a Very Similar One That Looks almost exactly what you got but mine has a slight difrence in the Body, 3 Pickups and a Whammy Bar and its very hard to find the value :l It als has the "Prestige" Brand At a The Headstock Of the Guitar

you think you can put up some pictures so i can see if mine was at one point, like yours?
It doesn't appear to be the brand Prestige, they seem to only make LP shaped guitars.
Probably some fender knockoff, although it looks pretty sweet.

How does it play?
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3