Page 1 of 3
Post your controversial opinions here but, before you do that, here are some ground rules...

-Don't get butthurt because somebody said something that you disagree with.
-Don't get butthurt because somebody disagreed with what you said.
-No bashing
-Debating is fine, that's what this thread is for. However, arguing is not. Everybody knows that arguing on the internet is retarded and only results in a pain in the ass.
-Avoid name calling, you're only proving that you can't actually prove your point if that's what you have to resort to.

Follow these rules and this thread won't be doomed to fail like the last one.

So, lets get this thread rolling...

My favorite Mayem album is Grand Declaration of War.

My favorite Pestilence album is Spheres.

Slam Death ****ing rules.

discuss
Quote by Pernell
I gave up trying to get into Opeth after 2 weeks because it just bored the **** outta me.

I actually had the same problem when I first got into Opeth so, I ended up not listening to them for a while. When I came back to them, I fell in love.
agreed on the opeth, i liked the song drapery falls, and everything else bored me... and i have a high capacity for potentially boring things, (ex. I love wolves in the throne room)
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by Pernell
I gave up trying to get into Opeth after 2 weeks because it just bored the **** outta me.

while i do find some opeth boring, some songs [for example, benighted] are amazing.
the guitarring in some of their songs is magnificent.
such a sexy fusion of classical styling and modern metal.

on a completely unrelated matter, MISERY SIGNALS PISS EXCELLENCE!!!
The MAYH to Damnation+ Watershed chunk of Opeth's discography makes me fall asleep, and a fair amount of black metal is garbage.

Dying Fetus reminds of me of a more modern Obituary

Decrepit Birth reminds me of the kind of stuff that Schuldiner would've composed if he was alive and had constantly progressing musical ideas

Electric Wizard reminds me of a more heavy version of Sabbath at thier most stonerific moments

I lump Strapping Young Lad, Gojira, Decapitated, and Morbid Angel in one big pile of a genre

I like Brain Drill

Random, but techno/trance music= evolution of tribal dance music? =O

Done for now, but I know I have more stupid comparisons somewhere in my mind, trapped between fogs of green....
EPIC CONTROVERSIAL: I think Metal is an additude, not a genre defined nitpickingly. However, i do respect the opinions of the 'elites' therefore i wouldnt post my music here and call it "Metal"
I like breakdowns here and there, but i agree the overuse of them is retarded
Last edited by Shustermeister at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by piratemetalhead

Decrepit Birth reminds me of the kind of stuff that Schuldiner would've composed if he was alive and had constantly progressing musical ideas

which is why they RULE
Quote by Shustermeister
EPIC CONTROVERSIAL: I think Metal is an additude, not a genre defined nitpickingly. However, i do respect the opinions of the 'elites' therefore i wouldnt post my music here and call it "Metal"
I like breakdowns here and there, but i agree the overuse of them is retarded

I think i see what you're saying about metal being an attitude but then again, that could make anything metal if it had the right attitude. Even rap or alternative rock.

I like slam style breakdowns but I can't stand deathcore style breakdowns.

edit: I LOVE slam style breakdowns.
Quote by AA00P
Burzum, Mayhem, and Darkthrone are overrated.

I was actually tempted to say that that's quite the opposite for veteran black metal fans, but I quite obviously, whether you're a poseur or a walking black metal dictionary who keeps track of what's kvlt or not on the internet, you have mixed opinions on those bands.

From observation, the really vocal fans treat Varg like he's a god amongst men, while any sane, self-respecting fan of theirs will probably tell you that Burzum's music is good. Like just about any band, once their popularity goes up, so does the amount of haters. It's just all down to how vocal the twats get.

I personal think Darkthrone are awesome. Mayhem, I've never really gotten into, and I had a little Burzum moment. They're still fun to listen to on occassion.

EDIT:

Regarding Decrepit Birth, I think they're a steaming pile of wank who are not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as anything even remotely related to Chuck Schuldiner. They make mediocre, uninspired wank that tries too hard to be a continuation of Sound of Perseverance, but holds little substance. It feels like riffs that have been haplessly glued together to constitute "songs".
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by A Certain Death
while i do find some opeth boring, some songs [for example, benighted] are amazing.
the guitarring in some of their songs is magnificent.
such a sexy fusion of classical styling and modern metal.

on a completely unrelated matter, MISERY SIGNALS PISS EXCELLENCE!!!

If you like the Classical/Modern metal style then you should listen to Sinergy's "Passage to the reaper" it reminds me SO MUCH of classical. I only mention the one song because i don't know if you'd consider the rest of the songs classical/mod metal
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
Probably be killed for this, but my opinion is still subject to change seeing as I haven't listened to them in awhile. Here it goes, I don't find Carcass to be that amazing, and I find them to be quite dull actually. Keep in my mind I haven't listened to them for awhile, so perhaps if I give them another chance I'll see what you all see, but until then, meh.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Contraband

EDIT:

Regarding Decrepit Birth, I think they're a steaming pile of wank who are not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as anything even remotely related to Chuck Schuldiner. They make mediocre, uninspired wank that tries too hard to be a continuation of Sound of Perseverance, but holds little substance. It feels like riffs that have been haplessly glued together to constitute a "song".

You officially have a new friend
Quote by The Virtuoso
Probably be killed for this, but my opinion is still subject to change seeing as I haven't listened to them in awhile. Here it goes, I don't find Carcass to be that amazing, and I find them to be quite dull actually. Keep in my mind I haven't listened to them for awhile, so perhaps if I give them another chance I'll see what you all see, but until then, meh.

I was the same way until a few months ago. Even now, I only like Reek of Putrefaction and Symphonies of Sickness.
I cannot get into black metal. I don't know what it is. Some of it makes me laugh because there's no way in hell that people dressed up like Kiss yelling like crickets can be taken seriously. Other times I can't hear what the hell is going on, so I never listen to it. No disrespect, it's a cool genre, my ear just can't make sense out of most of it.

EDIT: Totally random and unrelated opinion: I don't really care for Cynic.
Last edited by beadhangingOne at Mar 2, 2009,
^What bands have you heard regarding black metal?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Also...what about Symphony X? Sometimes i listen and they are ****ING WICKED then it fades. then they sound ****ing wicked again...then it fades...anyone else have this problem?
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Quote by viewerfromnihil
You officially have a new friend

Why, hello good sir.

I have honestly tried to enjoy it. I even overlooked the fact that they practically forgot what they were doing the previous album. Sure, it wasn't a very logical progression as they incorporated little of that album, but I tried to take it in as a totally separate album from a different band. Still, the passages felt forced, like DB were trying to wow you every riff. The album could have used better flow through smoother transitions and perhaps sticking with certain riffs without trying to be progressive for the sake of being progressive by changing the feel so often.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband

mediocre, uninspired wank.

Those three words pretty much cover 3/4 of all the metal I listen to
Quote by Contraband
I was actually tempted to say that that's quite the opposite for veteran black metal fans, but I think that all around, whether you're a poseur or a walking black metal dictionary who keeps track of what's kvlt or not on the internet, you have mixed opinions on those bands.

From observation, the really vocal fans treat Varg like he's a god amongst men, while any sane, self-respecting fan of theirs will probably tell you that Burzum's music is good. Like just about any band, once their popularity goes up, so does the amount of haters. It's just all down to how vocal the twats get.

I personal think Darkthrone are awesome. Mayhem, I've never really gotten into, and I had a little Burzum moment. They're still fun to listen to on occassion.

Well said.
I think there needs to be one of those dictionary topics in this forum like there is in the hardcore forum explaining the elements of acceptable metal amoung this forum
Quote by BeastTheBand
Also...what about Symphony X? Sometimes i listen and they are ****ING WICKED then it fades. then they sound ****ing wicked again...then it fades...anyone else have this problem?

I have always loved Symphony X. One of my favourite bands. Paradise Lost was cheese and getting a TAD too repetitive for my tastes, but still a phenomenal album by all means.
I've found Jesus
Quote by The Virtuoso
^What bands have you heard regarding black metal?

Emperor, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Immortal, Burzum, Mayhem, Beherit, Bathory, Nargaroth and a couple of others.

Stuff like that. It's not that I think it sucks or anything, I just cannot get into it for the life of me.
Quote by Contraband
I have always loved Symphony X. One of my favourite bands. Paradise Lost was cheese and getting a TAD too repetitive for my tastes, but still a phenomenal album by all means.

I really like The lie of Lies and Serpent's Kiss out of all of em...others i can't seem to stick with! Am I just retarded? lol
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Quote by Contraband
Why, hello good sir.

I have honestly tried to enjoy it. I even overlooked the fact that they practically forgot what they were doing the previous album. Sure, it wasn't a very logical progression as they incorporated little of that album, but I tried to take it in as a totally separate album from a different band. Still, the passages felt forced, like DB were trying to wow you every riff. The album could have used better flow through smoother transitions and perhaps sticking with certain riffs without trying to be progressive for the sake of being progressive by changing the feel so often.

I'll admit that I haven't given it a fair chance but I've heard plenty of those newer nonsense wankery "hey look I can sweep pick and then tap and then go chug chug chug" bands and I really do not enjoy it. I love Tech-Death but don't like that style of Tech-Death.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Emperor, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Immortal, Burzum, Mayhem, Beherit, Bathory, Nargaroth and a couple of others.

Stuff like that. It's not that I think it sucks or anything, I just cannot get into it for the life of me.

Are you one of the ones that can't get into it because of the Orchestra element to some of them? I tend to hear that a lot.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

^Try Vesperian Sorrow, you might like them.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by BeastTheBand
I really like The lie of Lies and Serpent's Kiss out of all of em...others i can't seem to stick with! Am I just retarded? lol

Standouts for me include Seven, Paradise Lost, Walls of Babylon and the last track.

Domination is nice, but reminds me too much of Sea of Lies. And Set the World on Fire is just....one of the cheesiest things they've done. Still awesome. But I prefer the slightly more poetic and serious Symphony X such as on V: Mythology Suite.
I've found Jesus
Quote by viewerfromnihil
I'll admit that I haven't given it a fair chance but I've heard plenty of those newer nonsense wankery "hey look I can sweep pick and then tap and then go chug chug chug" bands and I really do not enjoy it. I love Tech-Death but don't like that style of Tech-Death.

I know for a fact you haven't listened to the album. Did I give it to you at one point?
Quote by beadhangingOne

Try starting out with n00b black metal and then moving to those bands. That's pretty much what I had to do except for Emperor that is. With Emperor, I had trouble getting into Nightside and Anthems but not IX Equilibrium. Try starting with that album and progressing to the older material.
Quote by Psychopathology
I know for a fact you haven't listened to the album. Did I give it to you at one point?

nope and nope

I've browsed them and listened to one or two songs but, I'll humor you and give them a second chance. PM me some good songs to check out.
Quote by The Virtuoso
^Try Vesperian Sorrow, you might like them.

Sooo going to grooveshark them!!

(www.grooveshark.com for all your band testing out needs! I haven't come across a "Sorry, no results" yet!)
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Quote by viewerfromnihil

Try out some Spawn of Possession. Pure evil music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN0Lj4m3GU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIJ9IDzUit4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BbBB_s7jM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z79-Zp6A7o&feature=related

Beaaaasts.
So I'm at 2:30 of Decrepit Birth's latest album. Already feels like they've thrown way too many ideas at me. They seriously don't build up tension at all, unlike Death, which would use repetition as a means of building up the perfect amount of tension before Chuck would throw some really awesome riff or solo or bridge at you. DB just throw **** in and expect it to have the same sort of effect that Death did.

Also, quite simply - Death riffs are memorable. I remember absolutely nothing from the first song on DBW, and I'm on the 2nd now.

Wasted talent.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by piratemetalhead

Checked out the first song... not bad at all. Not my particular taste but not bad. I'll have to look into them some more.
Page 1 of 3