Hi guys,I'm new here and I was wondering if there was any difference in tone between a Mesa Single rectifier and a Dual rectifier?
Single Rectifier = 50 watts, two channels and only SS rectification.
Dual Rectifier = 100 watts, 2 or 3 channels depending on age and tube or SS rectification.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Thanks, four channels is really more than what i needed.Especially since I only use the modern and clean channels.
Why do you need 4 channels? If you want 4 channels you can go with a Roadster or Road king. If you really want a Mesa that is.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Eh...there isn't a noticeable volume difference betwixt 50 and 100 tube watts. At least, not at levels you'll ever notice.

I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Both sound equally loose, fizzy, undefined, inarticulate, and muddy.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Both sound equally loose, fizzy, undefined, inarticulate, and muddy.

If you like dry compressed gain staging, then yes, I would agree with you
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
The Rectos are a tweakers amp, it'll take you weeks at least to dial in your tone. I love the way a properly tuned recto sounds and I'd own one myself if I could afford one.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
If you like dry compressed gain staging, then yes, I would agree with you

Engl =/= dry

VHT and Splawn = Dry

Compressed yes...that's what easing up on the gain is for
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Sorry, i was referring to the compression...sorry kayman

I agree though with you, but I dunno, I think the Mesa's are perfectly tight with a good OD in front. I also do not think they are fizzy at all....but that is my preference, so therefore telling someone that an amp is ********* is a matter of opinion, and should not be given in the form of a discouraging remark.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Sorry, i was referring to the compression...sorry kayman

I agree though with you, but I dunno, I think the Mesa's are perfectly tight with a good OD in front. I also do not think they are fizzy at all....but that is my preference, so therefore telling someone that an amp is ********* is a matter of opinion, and should not be given in the form of a discouraging remark.

I suppose. The gripe I have with the mesa solo heads is how everyone thinks its the end all be all metal amp and yadda yadda and I guess I just PMS and take it out on others :'(. Personally, I think there are better mesa heads out there for high gain, such as the Mark Series and even Road King Recto (mmm....), ironically enough one of my favorite musicians tone is achieved with a maxon boosted recto run in stereo with a stiletto deuce (devin townsend). I guess one of the reasons I also dislike it so much is that you have to crank it like mad and spend forever dialing it in just right cuz the tone stack reacts to cuts and boosts in a really weird way. The Fireball is the total opposite for me
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
you'll get more bass out of the dual than the single. I used to own a single recto and it had a bit of a different sound compaired to the dual and triple rectos too. I feel that the dual and the triple have a fuller sound and more options as far as tube rectifier and bold and spongy. I'd get a dual if I were you, the dual won't be any louder than the single but the dual will have more headroom which is nice for cleans.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Bogner Uberschall are better for metal...

Have you ever A/B'd them side by side?

I can tell you first hand that the Uberschall is just as loose and fizzy as the Mesa....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Have you ever A/B'd them side by side?

I can tell you first hand that the Uberschall is just as loose and fizzy as the Mesa....

+100000000000000000000000000

After playing the Uber and cranking that bitch, I honestly couldn't get all the hype...VERY average sounding head if you ask me :\
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
+100000000000000000000000000

After playing the Uber and cranking that bitch, I honestly couldn't get all the hype...VERY average sounding head if you ask me :\

Uber has some weird tricks to get it sounding good. The presence control almost acts like a mid shift and presence, if it's really low, it gets kind of round and scooped with no bite. The bass has to be kept moderately low or it becomes overpowering too, I don't think I ever took it much past 10:00-11:00. I also didn't like that amp without a boost, it got too round and loose for my taste without one. Same for the Rectos IMO. Dialed right however, the Uber can be a beast.

As far as the single vs dual, matter of preference, but they do sound a bit different. Some guys like the single, but I prefer the dual. Sounds "bigger" and more aggressive to me.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
so you think the boost made a big diff with the uber? I never tried it with a boost
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups