ok so ive been playing guitar for about..... a year and...3 months ish?
to keep my interest i started making songs early on.
im self taught using the internet every time i get to a snag(which isnt too often surprisingly.)
but.. i want to get better. fast. and im very serious and dedicated. i play anywhere from...an hour to maybe... 5 or 6 almost, if not daily.

what is the.... actual way a person learns to play a guitar? just doing scales to metronomes?
trying to tackle hard songs? doing chord changed over and over?
or practicing technique like spider exercises,scales, finger gym stuff?

i need something i can sit here and actually do and practice hard. to improve.

thanks mates
What I am doing is...

Learning all the notes on the fretboard, and practicing/recognizing scales, chord fingerings and progressions, and learning to play in different keys - I just wanna be able to improvise well, and have it sound great.
all of that, over and over, for the rest of your life
Dream Theater FTW!!

Gear:
Ibanez S7320 7-string
Tama Superstar 8 pc. drum set
just feels like im progressing as slow as possible.
of course im getting better. but.
i dont know. there is no structure to my practice.

hm.
If you need to get better structure your practice a bit but not so much that practice is a chore, If you want to be fast you need to start slow speed will come with practice and repetition.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
You've only been at it 3 months. CAAAALM DOWN.

I've been at it like 3.5yrs and I still am a noob. Progress is being made, though.
i just feel like. how will doing scales and chords teach me how to play freely?

i guess my question is how does a human actually LEARN to play a guitar.

will every song i play always be just me doing it slow and just remembering it from extreme repetition?

how will only playing scales and chords teach me anything but scales and chords.
first off, post this in the right forum.

second, practicing scales over and over with a metronome makes you nothing more than another guy who can play some fast stuff but can't strum four chords.

1. learn some basic songs, learn all the basic open chords
2. learn some extended chords (major 7ths, minor 7ths, dominant 7ths etc), hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, vibrato etc, keep learning songs
3. learn the basics of theory (intervals, major scale and it's uses), pentatonic scale, keep learning songs.
4. continue with basic theory and become more knowledgeable, keep learning songs.
5. (optional) learn some more advanced theory, learn more techniques (sweep picking, multi-finger tapping if you want).

if i had a student that is how i would teach them, but people can pick up things differently, like theory came to me pretty easy, yet sweep picking was and still is a bitch for me to do.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by loadedpencil
i just feel like. how will doing scales and chords teach me how to play freely?

i guess my question is how does a human actually LEARN to play a guitar.

will every song i play always be just me doing it slow and just remembering it from extreme repetition?

how will only playing scales and chords teach me anything but scales and chords.

Pretty much.

Most songs are some combination of chords and scales are the building block for writing solos.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
1.Get a metronome
2.study theory,scales,chord patterns,progressions and so on
3.Work on alternate picking ( IMO this is such a vital thing for a guitarist)
4.Get good with phrasing and adding emotion and feeling to your playing
5.Practice......a lot,but be efficient with your practicing,don't just goof off or randomly play nonsense
6.Listen to a lot of different music to get some inspiration and open your mind up to the different styles and sounds that are out there.
7.Don't get discouraged,this isn't a race and it takes time and effort to get good with an instrument

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Having been there myself not too long ago, I know that you'll feel a slowdown after about a year. It'll come loose eventually, don't worry. Just keep playing. Learn a song or two, practice the scales with alternate picking. Chords shouldn't be forgotten either, as chords make up most of the music you can play to non-rock people, which is always fun.

Don't focus too much on getting fast; playing "correctly" and hitting all the notes is more important in my opinion. We don't need any more Malmsteens.

Learning songs teaches you more than one might think. Even though it'll only get you that far in the end, it makes you feel progress, since learning a song is a much more short-term goal than "learning to play guitar". And since you're practicing all the techniques while you're learning, it's all good. I play mostly Metallica, Alter Bridge and the likes, since it's interesting and teaches you a number of techniques along the way.
goto here http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

go through all 11 lessons. that will defiantly improve almost anyone's playing. they cover almost everything in there and since u have been playing for a little while most of it will seam easy... but trust me do everything they tell u to then do it again 100 times and u will see a great deal of improvement probably
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp