Poll: Have You Ever Got a Guitar/Bass for Free?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have You Ever Got a Guitar/Bass for Free?
Yes
78 46%
No
91 54%
Voters: 169.
Page 1 of 2
I was looking at the gear/guitar customizing section, and I was so happy to see all the guitars that have been rescued and brought back to life.

I've said I will never buy another guitar, but I gotta admit I'd probably pull one out of the garbage if I saw the neck poking out.

So, it got me thinking, has anyone ever got a guitar/bass for free before?

I'd love to hear some stories (and I'm sure others would too)

Thanks!

EDIT: It's okay to post if you got a guitar/bass for really cheap.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Mar 3, 2009,
well not free.
My friend sold me a squier strat for $10 though, it sounds great, just has a million dents and nicks
I'm FAT!
Wow, I haven't... But seriously, a squier for $10... I'd buy that.

Edit: Totally better than all the ones on craigslist for $90....
Yeah I've gotten two guitars for free. The 1st one is a crappy $80 Washburn, my sister gave it to me, she stopped playing. The 2nd one is a Squire Jazz Bass, when my friend got a new bass I asked joking "Can I have your old one?" and he said "Sure." I was like woooooow, didn't see that coming.
My Gear
Peavy Raptor 1
75w Line 6 Spider lll Amp
Epiphone Les Paul (SH-4 JB Bridge, SH-2 Neck)
Squier Jazz Bass
Crate 30w Amp
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Sheogorath
The 2nd one is a Squire Jazz Bass, when my friend got a new bass I asked joking "Can I have your old one?" and he said "Sure." I was like woooooow, didn't see that coming.

Nice! I really like the look of the Jazz Basses.

Guess it pays to ask...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
me friend got a ok bass for 3 coughdrops...
the amp costed 2 more
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
Quote by EpiHummingbird
me friend got a ok bass for 3 coughdrops...
the amp costed 2 more

*Cough* Yeah right *Cough Cough*
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Last edited by goonerbynature at Mar 3, 2009,
^^ Awesome
^Epic

Thread = win.
Quote by Sheogorath
Yeah I've gotten two guitars for free. The 1st one is a crappy $80 Washburn, my sister gave it to me, she stopped playing. The 2nd one is a Squire Jazz Bass, when my friend got a new bass I asked joking "Can I have your old one?" and he said "Sure." I was like woooooow, didn't see that coming.

Thats awesome. I should ask that more often...
I got a 40's archtop for free from my grandfather and my parents bought me the Gibby for christmas does that count lol?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
My friend recently closed his music store,and had a bunch of cheap floor models he needed to get rid of.When we were practicing over at my old mans house he brought down a bunch of the stuff and gave some of it to the band members.My dad got a Jasmine acoustic and I got some "Slammer by Hamer" 6 string electric.It's an utter piece of crap,but it was free.I'm thinking of using it as an autograph or practice guitar for modding and wiring.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
My friend recently closed his music store,and had a bunch of cheap floor models he needed to get rid of.When we were practicing over at my old mans house he brought down a bunch of the stuff and gave some of it to the band members.My dad got a Jasmine acoustic and I got some "Slammer by Hamer" 6 string electric.It's an utter piece of crap,but it was free.I'm thinking of using it as an autograph or practice guitar for modding and wiring.

They are actually named slammers because people so popularly bought them to smash on stage...
But yeah if i were you id do some odd mods to it like a duct tape finish.

I got a tele body for free after my friend gave up on it sorta.
Im selling it to another freind for 70$

I think i just found my Step #3
I almost got a '59 Les Paul for free one time.

I was over at a friend's house whose dad is a guitar teacher and I mentioned that I was looking for a new guitar. So my friend said there was an old guitar somewhere upstairs (he's not a guitarist so he didn't have a clue what it was) and offered it to me for free since it was "pretty old and probably not worth much anymore."

As you can probably guess, I almost had a heart attack thinking about getting my hands on something like that. Then his dad came upstairs and told us to put it away and get our asses back downstairs.

Almost the best day of my life.
Yes, I got my EX-400 for free. I had been going on about it for some time, and Dad bought it for Christmas. Best damn Christmas ever. My Dad's great, we both love guitars and he even listens to the same music I do, even though he's fifty-one.

I'll buy the next one (I'm planning a PRS Custom 24) myself, though. Just need to find a decent job!
My first guitar, my acoustic guitar. Was bought to me by my cousin, a guitar i will keep with me until the end of times because it has a special feeling to me. I just have to say, IT STILL PLAYS LIKE A DREAM!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
i found a 1964 harmony rocket in my nan attic. it belonged to my dad's brother. it is my most cherished possession
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
my parents gave me my first acoustic guitar free. Unfortunatly, i asked for a bass but now i play guitar and its play like a dream
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
after my uncle died my dad let me have his early 70's gibson sg custom. yeah its pretty nice...
I got my 1935 acoustic from my local tip, for 10p. So, yeah, it was practically free
Yeah, I got a free Yamaha bass.

I was at my brothers house in London for a house party and he had his bass lying around. I picked it up and started playing the bass riff for Money by Pink Floyd. His mate said "ah, do you have a bass?" "nah, but I'd like one to write bass lines with" "well, I have a Yamaha bass if you want it...I never played much and it's a shame for it not to be used".

Comes in useful from time to time, I'll say that much!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
my brother gave me
-boss ds-1
-boss hm-2
-boss flanger
& a capo
& my dad gave me his old small stone

idk if this counts
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
My brother gave me an epiphone dot because he didnt need it.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by Chaos Nil
Thread = win.

Me (threadstarter) = Happy

Thanks for all the stories everyone, I love hearing about stuff like that.
my Rickenbacker 4001 bass cost me nothing! my dad had stored it away and forgotten about it, and i dug it out a few years back and he said "oh that, i haven't played that for years, you can have it if it's any use to you."

mega happy.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have gotten as presents.
Boss Gt8
Ibanez S470dxqm
Ibanez Rg3ex1qm
EHX metal muff
digitech DF7
crate v18 2x12
'73 Takamine EF 340
'71 Yamaha nylon ( It was used as a paddle at one point LOL)
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
My pops bought me my first squier...

when my girls dad passed away, I defaulted to owning his 12 string...thing sounds beautiful
I got my 1976 Mann Les Paul for free from my dad along with a 1978 Fender Champ, With a bunch of broken and shattered tubes that cut my hand to crap when i stuck it in Lol, So i sold it for $300 and got my randall for $40.
Edit: Tubes for it were about $90 each... it took 4, And i couldnt find anywhere local that sold them. So i had to get rid of it.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 3, 2009,
My friend found a Strat in the dumpster, it was all torn up and stuff from being in there so he just said it was a vintage.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

my neighbor gave me an old flying v that my dad painted and i got new parts for. it stillsucks though

and my dads friend gave me an acrylic warlock, which ive been waiting to sell. i just dont want to sell it right away and seem like an asshole.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by Neonknight05
Epi LP flamed maple top. Beautiful, just needed some new pups.

I envy you...
Nice find though!
Page 1 of 2