I've been looking into amps that are around $1100, and one that caught my attention was the Orange Rocker 30 combo. Now, I was thinking that I could buy one, then tighten it up with an OD pedal. Has anyone ever tried this combination? I think it could make a nice Paul Gilbert-ish type of distortion that would be good for shred and hard rock.
Hmm, it could work, but I'm sure with that budget you can find something more built for shred.
I dont think an Orange is quite right for shred guitar, sure they can do it, but the Rocker 30 is a Class A, british head. IMO the distortion would sound too rough for shredding. Something like a Peavey JSX, which is nice and warm, gives a much better tone for that style again, in m opinion.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I dont think an Orange is quite right for shred guitar, sure they can do it, but the Rocker 30 is a Class A, british head. IMO the distortion would sound too rough for shredding. Something like a Peavey JSX, which is nice and warm, gives a much better tone for that style again, in m opinion.

Gilbert uses Marshalls, and Orange's sound similar to Marshall. I think it would sound alright.
Quote by littlephil
Gilbert uses Marshalls, and Orange's sound similar to Marshall. I think it would sound alright.

I know that, but Orange amps really dont sound anything like Marshalls besides the basic british crunch. They are much darker and less saggy in a way.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Their cabs are GREAT for shred and metal and t3h br00talzzz!!!111oneone
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by littlephil

Not really... I don't know why people so closely associate the tone of Oranges with that of Marshalls. That classic Marshall tone is a very bright, grind with a lot of upper midrange bark, which is not even close to what an Orange sounds like, which has more growl and has kind of a weird fuzzy kind of feel when overdriven. And this is especially the case with the Rocker 30.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Not really... I don't know why people so closely associate the tone of Oranges with that of Marshalls. That classic Marshall tone is a very bright, grind with a lot of upper midrange bark, which is not even close to what an Orange sounds like, which has more growl and has kind of a weird fuzzy kind of feel when overdriven. And this is especially the case with the Rocker 30.

Oh, ok. Didn't know that. I heard that they sounded similar, I know they wont sound the same.
I still think it could sound alright. I'd definitely be different.
How would it compare to, say, a Marshall Vintage Modern? I was watching some videos of the Orange on youtube- it seems to have a nice amount of gain on tap, and has a nice vintage-y sound to it (I think that I could probably get some Iron Maiden tones out of it, too). I would just need an organic, transparent boost (like a Fulltone OCD, or something like that) to tighten it up.
Quote by dcdossett65
I know that, but Orange amps really dont sound anything like Marshalls besides the basic british crunch. They are much darker and less saggy in a way.

I always though Oranges were more saggy than Marshalls, especially 100 watt Marshalls.
Quote by imgooley
I always though Oranges were more saggy than Marshalls, especially 100 watt Marshalls.

What do you mean by "saggy"?
Quote by BeethovensBust
What do you mean by "saggy"?

Slower, looser response/pick attack/whatever.
^Agreed, I think it'd be way too loose to do shred. Fast runs would just run into each other.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Great for stoner rock, though. Or heavy blues.
I would get a nice Laney, which is what Paul Gilbert uses.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Orange + Shred = Scale the Summit

You can shred on Orange.
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Jim Root has been shredding his nuts off on Orange for the past 4 yrs or so, and damn that is some some tone
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!