Page 1 of 2
I don't have much and this guitar didn't have a case for a well over a year how do I get rid of that built up grime using stuff that is kicking around my house?
GEAR
Guitars: LTD V401DX, USA Jackson King V (pre-fender), Knock off Jackson Kelly
Pick ups: EMGs, Seymour Duncans
Amp: Randall RG100SC w/ matching cab
Boss and Dunlop Electronics
Well u can pick up some decent cleaner at a local guitar shop for 5$ or less, when i fully clean my guitar i completely disassemble it. that way nothing blocks my way while i am cleaning
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Quote by cronarct
Well u can pick up some decent cleaner at a local guitar shop for 5$ or less, when i fully clean my guitar i completely disassemble it. that way nothing blocks my way while i am cleaning

what about hope remedy style?
GEAR
A old toothbrush always works good for getting the dust right at the frets, and pledge will clean the fretboard just fine.
this guitar has a solid two years of playing on it and has been oxidized to **** like the fret board is gross I am currently polishing the fret wire
GEAR
just use some wood cleaner. When i clean my neck off i... wait i never clean my **** nvm my gear is rubbish forget i said anything.
Assuming its a rosewood fretboard, use a little lemon oil to keep it hydrated.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Assuming its a rosewood fretboard, use a little lemon oil to keep it hydrated.

can i make it at home?
GEAR
Quote by Menza_
can i make it at home?

??
GEAR
Dont use pledge as the above person said ive been told that it has chemicals in it that can actually mess up your fretboard.

Just go to the guitar shop and pay $5 for a bottle of lemon oil, clean fretboard with it, and you win.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Dont use pledge as the above person said ive been told that it has chemicals in it that can actually mess up your fretboard.

Just go to the guitar shop and pay $5 for a bottle of lemon oil, clean fretboard with it, and you win.

I use pledge on my coffee table. I put plates and my feet on that table not my guitar. I am not that dumb :P
GEAR
Quote by Menza_
I use pledge on my coffee table. I put plates and my feet on that table not my guitar. I am not that dumb :P

Just making sure and clearing that up so as not to confuse others with his statement.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Can I make Lemon Oil though?
GEAR
make sure u dont use windex on it either because that will dry out the fret board.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Quote by Menza_
Can I make Lemon Oil though?

Wtf? Just shell out the 10 dollars to buy a bottle of it.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

lol enough with the not what to use I really have nothing to do right now sleep is not an option I just wanna make this guitar look clean
GEAR
Quote by Pr0gNut
Wtf? Just shell out the 10 dollars to buy a bottle of it.

Right now its 1 in the morning, ****s closed and I am bored
GEAR
Well if that's how you are I wouldn't try to mine the oil from lemons, its a delicate and rough process that requires skill and experience even though any noob can do it.
...ok not really but still...

I'd say best thing as far as cleaning it is to use a microfiber cloth and your breath. That's generally all you have to do to shine it up a little...

Just make sure you dont get anything fishy because fish will make the wood smell forever... same as fox urine...that stuff is strong.
Quote by Menza_
Right now its 1 in the morning, ****s closed and I am bored

Do you actually think you can just squeeze some lemon peels into a bowl and get "lemon oil" or something? Please tell me you're not that much of an idiot.

Just read this:

"the traditional lemon oil used on the unsealed rosewood fingerboards of guitars and other stringed instruments is not made from lemons. It's a different product all together, made from mineral oil and a solvent, usually naphtha, and got its name from its color and tart smell, and should not be confused with the corrosive oil of lemons."

Now unless you have mineral oil,solvents,and the knowledge of what types and proportions should be mixed I suggest you shut up,be patient,and buy some at a store.Not only would it save time,it'd also stop you from doing something stupid and potentially ****ing the guitar up.Next time you try to be a smart ass at least know what you're talking about.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

^ Actually it seemed like a legit question to me... he just wanted to see if he could make his own lemon oil... I mean even I thought it was probably made of lemons like lemon zest boiled down and strained.... or just a whole lot of lemons wiped down or something o_O
Quote by Chaos Nil
^ Actually it seemed like a legit question to me... he just wanted to see if he could make his own lemon oil... I mean even I thought it was probably made of lemons like lemon zest boiled down and strained.... or just a whole lot of lemons wiped down or something o_O

Admittedly I was a bit of a prick in that post.I'm tired and get pretty irritable when I'm lacking sleep,and TS also used this face -> ,which for some reason annoys the hell out of me.But yes,lemon oil is a misleading name.I wonder if anyone has ever just taken a lemon peel and rubbed it on their fret board thinking that it was the same thing? there has to be at least a couple people out there who have.

I'll be honest... I have been totally tempted to do that for months now... Another part of me wanted to try oranges because it seemed like it could possibly be better because I like oranges....
Quote by Chaos Nil
I'll be honest... I have been totally tempted to do that for months now... Another part of me wanted to try oranges because it seemed like it could possibly be better because I like oranges....

It is true that oranges destroy lemons and clearly are the reigning champs of the citrus world,but sadly,they can't help condition a guitar.Citrus oil contains a lot of citric acid and has corrosive properties which can damage things,so it's best left in the peel and not on a fretboard.

Quote by Chaos Nil

Id recommend the lime but limes are basicly the unwanted child of the Citrus world.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Id recommend the lime but limes are basicly the unwanted child of the Citrus world.

And then there's the grapefruit,which is like the big retarded cousin that nobody acknowledges in the family.Seriously,**** grapefruits and everything they ruin with their awful flavor.

Quote by Pr0gNut
And then there's the grapefruit,which is like the big retarded cousin that nobody acknowledges in the family.Seriously,**** grapefruits and everything they ruin with their awful flavor.

I heard grapefruits ended King Crimson.

No lie.
this thread seams like it totally lost track of its purpose lol

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Quote by Pr0gNut

Do you actually think you can just squeeze some lemon peels into a bowl and get "lemon oil" or something? Please tell me you're not that much of an idiot.

Just read this:

"the traditional lemon oil used on the unsealed rosewood fingerboards of guitars and other stringed instruments is not made from lemons. It's a different product all together, made from mineral oil and a solvent, usually naphtha, and got its name from its color and tart smell, and should not be confused with the corrosive oil of lemons."

Now unless you have mineral oil,solvents,and the knowledge of what types and proportions should be mixed I suggest you shut up,be patient,and buy some at a store.Not only would it save time,it'd also stop you from doing something stupid and potentially ****ing the guitar up.Next time you try to be a smart ass at least know what you're talking about.

I think building a Meth lab would be easier. Anyways I just used a fine steel wool and it cleaned up real nice.
GEAR
Quote by cronarct
this thread seams like it totally lost track of its purpose lol

King Crimson has Robert Fripp.
Robert Fripp plays guitar.
He probably uses lemon oil and fret polish to clean his fretboard.
He might also use pledge on the back of his neck as it doesnt ruin gloss, semi gloss, or oil based finishes unless you try really hard to make it ruin them.

Enough on topic for you?
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I heard grapefruits ended King Crimson.

No lie.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.They've been destroying breakfast and juice since the 1950's,so who knows what other nefarious deeds they've committed.Next time I go shopping in the produce section I'm totally falcon punching some grapefruits.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I wouldn't be surprised if they did.They've been destroying breakfast and juice since the 1950's,so who knows what other nefarious deeds they've committed.Next time I go shopping in the produce section I'm totally falcon punching some grapefruits.

I encourage we all destroy grapefruits around the world.
FOR THE KING
FOR THE BREAKFAST
FOR OUR TASTEBUD FREEDOM

Also so this post isn't complete spam.
I us pledge brand lemon oil and it works great.
Also may i add it makes it play much better after a long time of not polishing.
If it's a rosewood board, I'd go with lemon oil. I used it on my old EX-50 (which has seen more than two years of intense playing without cleaning) a few days ago, and it made a world of difference. Basically looks like new. Be sure to wipe off the excess though, or the fingerboard might dry up.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I encourage we all destroy grapefruits around the world.
FOR THE KING
FOR THE BREAKFAST
FOR OUR TASTEBUD FREEDOM

Also so this post isn't complete spam.
I us pledge brand lemon oil and it works great.
Also may i add it makes it play much better after a long time of not polishing.

I think there should be a group for this.It's about time UG saw some grapefruit hate.

Also,apply a small amount of lemon oil at a time TS,and wait for the wood to soak it up before applying more.Once the wood stops soaking up the oil you just wipe it clean.

Quote by Pr0gNut

I think there should be a group for this.It's about time UG saw some grapefruit hate.

Also,apply a small amount of lemon oil at a time TS,and wait for the wood to soak it up before applying more.Once the wood stops soaking up the oil you just wipe it clean.

I shall make it.

I also belive this label should be on all drinks with grapefruit added secretly without them telling us.

That allways grinds my guitar strings when i drink some orange juice and it tastes funny and i read the label really closely to find
20% Grapefruit

Also remember to tape down your frets with masking tape to not get your ferts all sticky and the sort.
I actually like grapefuits... put sugar on them and they are nice
To TS:
I use an old bank card thingy to srape the gunk off my fretboard.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I shall make it.

I also belive this label should be on all drinks with grapefruit added secretly without them telling us.

That allways grinds my guitar strings when i drink some orange juice and it tastes funny and i read the label really closely to find
20% Grapefruit

Also remember to tape down your frets with masking tape to not get your ferts all sticky and the sort.

I was too busy making the group to read this post in time haha.Also,that pic made me laugh my ass off.

Buy some lemon oil. Or a guitar polish from a shop.
Then just scrub the dirt off with a dry cloth then rub some oil into the fretboard.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
I like to use polishing compound on my necks. One rosewood/ ebony boards though is leaves white stuff in the grain so it kind of makes it look weird. It also dries it out some. But it cleans the frets and gets it looking new again. To clean the grain of the stuff left behind, I use a wet toothbrush and wipe clean. Then I put some kind or oil on it. Lemon oil or even 2-in-1 oil. (LEMON IS BETTER)

On the maple board I still use the polishing compound but dont have to go through all the extra steps to get it clean. But there are so many ways to do it. I just prefer this because of the frets getting shined up.

I aslo use 1500-2000 grit sandpaper on the frets and strings between string changes to keep them shining.
1. dont use polish on unfinished wood, like a rosewood board.
2. dont squeeze fruit.
3. do buy fretboard conditioner and use a few times a year.
4. clean crud off with soft brush like said.

5. Do NOT LEAVE STRINGS OFF unless you know how to set up a guitar.

that is all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Not to thread-jack, but how do you clean a maple fretboard?
Just wondering because I noticed my Strat's fretboard is a little dirty.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Page 1 of 2