Okay first let's start, I am getting more experienced in a musician live about "I buy, I cry, I sell". You know what I mean, I bought alot but was never really satisfied. I was always like OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME and like 2 months after "Well... I used to like it"
I made too much mistakes now and I want to be sure of what I'm gonna buy.

First, I want to spend ~1000bucks for an amp, and for my effect pedals, I don't really care for now.
So I have to sell my Boss ME-50, (which I think is pretty bad), my little fender 15w and my old washburn (You know, starter stuff, and I'm not a starter anymore), my Marshall MG100DFX (I'll explain later), and maybe my Vox Tonelab (It's oversized, but it's a nice effect pedal anyway)
With all of this I should be able to afford part of a good amp and pedals.
So, I don't really need to explain why I'll sell my mg100dfx with all the bad reviews here, but I'll do it anyway because im pissed off. I thought it was a good amp when I bought it, I was like, whoa, a Marshall, I can't go wrong with this. Well I did. I think it's actually the worst series of Marshall ever. I just played live recently, I played "Always with me, Always with you". I actually had to put my amp to gain 10 and the volume to 6 (Wtf, how could a 100w amp couldn't even take a little 300 persons theater?), and some said they couldn't hear me well. The distortion is HORRIBLE. It's like "Well, we have an OD1 that doesn't fit any style because it's just a bad saturation, and an OD2 for REAL HEAVY rhythm that can't even do hard rock." Well, it isn't that bad if I put bass,mid,treble, gain at 10, it gets more tight and has a better saturation of the sound, but i'll need a noise gate for the sound, and when i tune up my volume knob, you just do not want to hear this. So anyway, it's just... bad.
I just feel so bad to sell this **** to someone, but I know that kid is gonna be like WOW A MARSHALL (like me XD).
Anyway, let's stick to the point

I want a good tube amp or head/cab , that is pretty versatile (I mean, something that has a nice clean and that I will be able to fit blues/rock with an OD to hardrock/metal with a dist pedal) I don't want everything in the same amp. I play from Pink Floyd style to Death metal like Soilwork, and I don't think an amp is possibly enough versatile for the two (except for some 5000 bucks diezel/mesa heads). My teacher want me to buy Fender Twin Reverb (I know it's like 1500$+) and put some good pedals on it. What do you think about this? Will it fit Metal? (He actually plays nothing harder than rock, so that's why I'm not sure about it)

I'm kinda discouraged now, I don't know what to do
no a fender twin will not do metal unless you put a whole bunch of really nice pedals.

sounds like you need a mesa! you can probably buy a dual rectifier for about 1000 used. im pretty sure you can get a triple rectifier for 1000 used. or you can try and find a DC series. they are super versatile and have great cleans and the OD is good. not as great as like a 5150, but good enough for anything. or you can buy a Peavey 5150, which has good OD but pretty not so decent cleans.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
the twin will not do metal
try a peavey xxx. it seems to do everything for me...
edit: owns mesa in versatility (and otherwise IMO)
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Last edited by Holy-Diver at Mar 3, 2009,
I thought about the 5150, but I've heard bad reviews about the clean, and I'm not sticked into metal, that's why I really care about my clean.
I know I need a Mesa, but they seem so much pricey for me. (I actually spend so much on bad gears that I could actually have bought one anyway! ) They could actually be worth the money i'll invest, I'll really think about getting one... I'm not really in an hurry anyway.

I'll check out the XXX.
a mesa recto is not versatile imo
edit: the xxx series is now the 3120
also try a jsx, more versatile
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Last edited by Holy-Diver at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Holy-Diver
a mesa is not versatile unless you get a mark series

what? almost every mesa is VERY versatile.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
what? almost every mesa is VERY versatile.

the mesa recto series is not versatile imo. and i believe that is what was afore mentioned
i dont have much experience with other mesas
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
so why make an exclusive statement? rectos have excellent cleans and can excel at mid-gain applications when properly eq'd. And almost every amp Mesa currently makes is a recto, aside from the express, stiletto, and lonestar series, which aren't that versatile, but aren't intended to be...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
so why make an exclusive statement? rectos have excellent cleans and can excel at mid-gain applications when properly eq'd. And almost every amp Mesa currently makes is a recto, aside from the express, stiletto, and lonestar series, which aren't that versatile, but aren't intended to be...

sorry i wasnt specific. and i still dont think that the rectos are very versatile, i have played a triple extensively and it seemed rather one dimensional to me
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Just checked out the 3120, it sounds pretty awesome.
As it is new, I won't find any used one, so if I can't find good priced rectos I may check this one out
(Actually even used, the dual rectos are almost the price of new ones)
Last edited by Nyrithz at Mar 3, 2009,
but xxx can be found used. it is the same exact thing
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Anyway, thank you for your help, I'll check those amps in a shop to see how they sounds :P
(You know what, I can't believe i've tried plenty of guitars and never tried a recto in a shop...)

And well, I completly breaks my heart to do that, but I may sell my Ibanez UV777...
I just wasted so much money on this guitar, and I don't even use it...
That's actually one of my biggest mistake
Fender Twin + ZVex Box of Metal = Mesa Dual Rec metal tone...............I'm not kidding.

And though some Mesa's can be exceedingly versatile (speaking from loads of experience here), you may honestly be best off looking for a Mark III instead of a Rec if you're bent on getting a Mesa. Also, the clean on the 5150 isn't nearly as horrid as a lot of people would like to make it out to be, it's not amazing but it certainly doesn't suck. And if you want versatile, look at the Traynor YCS series amps.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM