Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

What are some good amp modellers?
In the endless quest for an ever vaster array of gear and hence sounds, I've decided that they would be a good thing to get. They must affect sound significantly, no? I was thinking perhaps a Behringer V-Amp 2 but would like to know what other products are available for amp modelling.

Cheers
Budget? Genres?

The V-Amp is awe-inspiringly bad.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Budgets a biggy. You could go axe-fx for about $1700 and that would pretty much take care of your modeling itch. My 2nd call would be POD XT Live or above. Not bad modeling for $400+.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Mesa/Boogie Triaxis -- $2000, extraordinarily versatile.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Woahh nah not quite that rich!
500 bucks or less. Maybe a lil more if its amazingly good.
So Line 6 perhaps?
500 bucks.... What you need is a vypyr 60 watt tube amp. The best modeler out there IMO. I'd pick it over a line 6 vetta (which runs about 1500 dollars) anyday... The vypyr is 469 bucks. You get a full tube power amp section and a preamp section which has one tube and the rest is solid state transtube technology which is very good. The amps it models sound very realistic and feel very realistic and more so than any other modeling amp I've ever tried. And I have never been a huge fan of amp modelers. But I do like the ones that have a tube power section.

The spider valve is alright but it doesn't sound nowhere near as good as the vypyr and it even cost more.
Quote by hcsn2008
500 bucks.... What you need is a vypyr 60 watt tube amp. The best modeler out there IMO. I'd pick it over a line 6 vetta (which runs about 1500 dollars) anyday... The vypyr is 469 bucks. You get a full tube power amp section and a preamp section which has one tube and the rest is solid state transtube technology which is very good. The amps it models sound very realistic and feel very realistic and more so than any other modeling amp I've ever tried. And I have never been a huge fan of amp modelers. But I do like the ones that have a tube power section.

The spider valve is alright but it doesn't sound nowhere near as good as the vypyr and it even cost more.

Must you do this in EVERY thread where there is even a remote possibility that someone could want a Vypyr? I think this is total BS. The tube Vypyr has 2 6L6s. and a 12ax7. you realize that's basically the same preamp circuit as a Vox Valvetronix? The modeling is the same as the regular Vypyr, and the sound is processed by the modeler before it hits the preamp tube...meaning that the preamp tube does just about nothing. If it served a useful purpose, why would they include the transtube gimmick? I'm not sure what you're thinking when you say that because of those tubes, the Vypyr really sounds like the amps it's emulating. It doesn't. It sounds good, but comparing it to a Vetta makes no sense. Please, please, please stop doing this. It's very misleading. Everyone knows that you love the Vypyr, and that's fine, but it is NOT the be-all end-all of amps.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
Must you do this in EVERY thread where there is even a remote possibility that someone could want a Vypyr? I think this is total BS. The tube Vypyr has 2 6L6s. and a 12ax7. you realize that's basically the same preamp circuit as a Vox Valvetronix? The modeling is the same as the regular Vypyr, and the sound is processed by the modeler before it hits the preamp tube...meaning that the preamp tube does just about nothing. If it served a useful purpose, why would they include the transtube gimmick? I'm not sure what you're thinking when you say that because of those tubes, the Vypyr really sounds like the amps it's emulating. It doesn't. It sounds good, but comparing it to a Vetta makes no sense. Please, please, please stop doing this. It's very misleading. Everyone knows that you love the Vypyr, and that's fine, but it is NOT the be-all end-all of amps.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
The Triaxis and JMP 1 are not amp modellers...they are tube preamps ... -_-

also, Hughes and Kettner Zentera
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
It does sound like most of the amps it is modeling but not all of them, no. And yes..everytime someone wants a modeler I suggest the tube vypyr. Reason? Because it's the only modeling amp worth listening to.
Quote by hcsn2008
It does sound like most of the amps it is modeling but not all of them, no. And yes..everytime someone wants a modeler I suggest the tube vypyr. Reason? Because it's the only modeling amp worth listening to.

hahah yea right, the AxeFX and H&K Zentera make the vypyrs sound like childrens' toys
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
hahah yea right, the AxeFX and H&K Zentera make the vypyrs sound like childrens' toys

I've heard good axe fx tones. Heard some good prophecy tones. But most people on here are looking for something under 500 bucks in a combo. Vypyr seems to be the only choice. And the tube power amp does make a huge difference. Honestly I'm not sure I'd buy the ss one. Although I think they sound good for what they are.
Quote by kayman121
The Triaxis and JMP 1 are not amp modellers...they are tube preamps ... -_-

also, Hughes and Kettner Zentera

The Triaxis, while being a tube preamp, is a programmable modeling amplifier. It has eight different pre-amp circuits that you can select to model a wide range of Mesa amplifiers.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by theoreticmusic
First of all it isn't the same as a Valvetronix. A Valvetronix uses the tube as a modeling tool. The Vypyr does it's modeling in the DSP. So a Vypyr is a digital multiFX with a tube power amp. Nothing like a Valvetronix. The 12AX7 is probably a phase inverter.

And I have to wonder why you think someone should be recommending something other than what they have experience with and like? That should be the criteria for recommending anything.

I have both a Pod X3 Live and a GNX4. The GNX4 is good if you want an 8 track recorder and the ability to put up to 2 gigs of mp3 backing tracks on your multifx. The GNX4 also has a drum machine. But the GNX4 is harder to tweak a good tone than the X3. Both units have great software for tweaking parameters and both can record direct through USB. The GNX4 can record to local compact flash, which can be mapped as a drive to your computer through the usb.

I also have a Vypyr 15, which I am impressed with. With any of the Vypyr's larger than the 15 you need to include the price of the Sampera pedal to control it.
Well I'll add.. I could care less how it models I just care about the tone. I know the tube vypyr sounds better than the valvetronix to me. Although I do like the valvetronix series alright as practice amps. But I would actually put the tones on the 60 tube vypyr on a recording. Something I'd never do with any other modeling amp. Like I said I think the thing sounds better than a vetta. It sounds like a real full on tube amp. Not to mention the 6505 model is dead on. You said it doesn't sound like like the amp it models and it does. Do a side by side 6505 and vypyr 60 on the 6505 model. I mean it's pretty dead on but that probably comes from it having the 6505's power section...and I don't mean it has 6l6's I mean the power section is the same. It's built exactly the same. But anyway who cares how it works? The thing sounds awesome. I think the axefx can sound cool on recordings but unless you are running it through a tube power amp it just doesn't have the feel to it.
Quote by VisionaryTics
The Triaxis, while being a tube preamp, is a programmable modeling amplifier. It has eight different pre-amp circuits that you can select to model a wide range of Mesa amplifiers.

a modelling amplifier uses digital emulation. the triaxis does not do that. although soundwise its designed to emulate different mesa amps, it just does it in a midi-controlled fashion
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
a modelling amplifier uses digital emulation. the triaxis does not do that. although soundwise its designed to emulate different mesa amps, it just does it in a midi-controlled fashion

It doesn't matter though. The vypyr tube doesn't sound digital.
The moral of the story .. try before you buy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Wow
Simple questions obviously lead to arguments very easily on this forum..
But what I want is just the amp modellers.
Got a Fender FM212, Boss Me50 and a Line6 Variax and the me50's lack of amp models is the hole that needs to be filled. I dont really want to fork out for a things i don't need eg a new amp..
I haven't been playing guitar for ages so i probably won't notice a massive difference between 12ax7 thingos and other pre amp gizmos. I just want to explore the tonal possibilities of different amp sounds.
Check out a fender Super Champ XC. 300 bucks, 15 watts, versatile, and has the best tone of modeling amps that I have tried.
Quote by Chetbango
Check out a fender Super Champ XC. 300 bucks, 15 watts, versatile, and has the best tone of modeling amps that I have tried.

I didn't think they were modeling amps... TS should be trying out Roland Cubes, Valvetronix and Vypyrs. They are commonly suggested for a reason.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
You know what, i've played a lot of modelling amps and preamps and such, and the way i see it, they're all just as bad as each other (with the exception of the real expensive ones, but if you're spending that much money you might as well buy a high end tube amp and a selection of od's) The Boss ME series are good, but it still falls short. The Korg Toneworks was quite decent and the subsequent AX3000G is now my preferred choice. If i had the money again i'd consider getting a Line 6 Flextone II because as an all rounder it was quite fantastic. The AX3000Gs not fantastic in any respect, but it damn well holds its own. I can get nearly any sound i want within a minute and a half no lie. If you gonna go modelling then just dont expect it to conform to your expectations.
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
Quote by Maggot4eva
You know what, i've played a lot of modelling amps and preamps and such, and the way i see it, they're all just as bad as each other (with the exception of the real expensive ones, but if you're spending that much money you might as well buy a high end tube amp and a selection of od's) The Boss ME series are good, but it still falls short. The Korg Toneworks was quite decent and the subsequent AX3000G is now my preferred choice. If i had the money again i'd consider getting a Line 6 Flextone II because as an all rounder it was quite fantastic. The AX3000Gs not fantastic in any respect, but it damn well holds its own. I can get nearly any sound i want within a minute and a half no lie. If you gonna go modelling then just dont expect it to conform to your expectations.

I disagree. Some of the cheaper ones sound better than the more expensive ones. I don't see HOW people pay 1500 for a vetta when there are 500 dollar amps that have better tone.
Quote by Karma_Police36
Wow
Got a Fender FM212, Boss Me50 and a Line6 Variax and the me50's lack of amp models is the hole that needs to be filled. I dont really want to fork out for a things i don't need eg a new amp..
I haven't been playing guitar for ages so i probably won't notice a massive difference between 12ax7 thingos and other pre amp gizmos. I just want to explore the tonal possibilities of different amp sounds.

You know, you still haven't given us genres. If you actually expressed your desires with clarity, you might actually get answers and not arguments.
Quote by hcsn2008
I disagree. Some of the cheaper ones sound better than the more expensive ones. I don't see HOW people pay 1500 for a vetta when there are 500 dollar amps that have better tone.

Simple. Because a Vetta is MUCH, MUCH better than a Vypyr. There is so much more adjustability. The amount of features in a Vetta can't be touched by 15 Vypyrs. They're expensive, yes, but they're damn good, and you get what you pay for.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
You know, you still haven't given us genres. If you actually expressed your desires with clarity, you might actually get answers and not arguments.

Simple. Because a Vetta is MUCH, MUCH better than a Vypyr. There is so much more adjustability. The amount of features in a Vetta can't be touched by 15 Vypyrs. They're expensive, yes, but they're damn good, and you get what you pay for.

I don't like them. I played in a band for 5 years with another guitar player who would not get rid of his vetta. Finally after he got annoyed from my 6505 he broke down and bought a 6505. The thing sounds awesome on recordings and I mean the vetta sounds alright by itsself but it's still got that solid state toy digital sound to it especially in a band mix and really loud. Atleast the vypyr tube has that tube tone and feel like a real tube amp. The vetta just doesn't.
Quote by Karma_Police36
Wow
Now we are getting somewhere. If you want amp modeling then you should consider getting rid of your ME-50. Amp modeling is really just an expansion of distortion FX, which you already have in your ME-50. FX with amp modeling usually include cabinet modeling. Cabinet modeling is just and expansion of EQ tweaking. Cab modeling is good for getting rid of the harshness that is removed by the limited freq range of a guitar amp, so that you can record direct to a computer or play through a FRFR amp like a PA.

You don't really want to add to your me-50, you want to replace it with a multifx that has more features. I have a Line-6 AM4, which is just an amp modeler. But it's out of production. I wouldn't really consider stacking it with another multifx box.... Well I guess I lied because I put it in front of a Magicstomp.
Quote by hcsn2008
I don't like them. I played in a band for 5 years with another guitar player who would not get rid of his vetta. Finally after he got annoyed from my 6505 he broke down and bought a 6505. The thing sounds awesome on recordings and I mean the vetta sounds alright by itsself but it's still got that solid state toy digital sound to it especially in a band mix and really loud. Atleast the vypyr tube has that tube tone and feel like a real tube amp. The vetta just doesn't.

Er..I think I'm reading tube elitism here. The Vypyr tube doesn't sound that much like a real tube amp. It doesn't have the same dynamics. The same goes for the Spider Valve. Now, I'm not saying it sounds bad, because it's a pretty damn good amp, but I'd take a well-adjusted Vetta anyday.

TS: Cab modeling is very important. Honestly, what I'd do is get something like a Floor Pod or Pod XT Live.

Don't judge me.
I've only tried the ss Vypyr so far but I'd have to say that I was very impressed. I've tried the Spider Valve too but like all Line 6 products, it sounds too digital to me. It's an improvement on the standard Spider amps but like for like the Vypyr is miles better. On that basis I can only assume that the Vypyr Tube 60 will be very good indeed and I can't think of an amp modeler that I'd rather have for the budget specified. If it was me, that's what I'd buy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by theoreticmusic
Er..I think I'm reading tube elitism here. The Vypyr tube doesn't sound that much like a real tube amp. It doesn't have the same dynamics. The same goes for the Spider Valve. Now, I'm not saying it sounds bad, because it's a pretty damn good amp, but I'd take a well-adjusted Vetta anyday.

TS: Cab modeling is very important. Honestly, what I'd do is get something like a Floor Pod or Pod XT Live.

What? Have you tried one? The vypyr tube has the exact same power section as the 6505. Same build and everything. So it feels exactly like one. And yes I own two 6505's and one 5150. Same feel and sound from the power amp. The preamp doesn't sound ss either. Their transtube technology works very well. But the power amp is where you get the "feel" of a tube amp. So how does an amp that has an ALL TUBE power section not have the feel and sound of a real tube amp? it IS a real tube amp.
Quote by hcsn2008

I challenge you to a tone duel.

My Vetta vs. whatever you want to use.

You can get a used Vetta for $700 with the floorboard. To buy the Vypyr and comprable floorboard new would be more than the price of a used vetta.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I challenge you to a tone duel.

My Vetta vs. whatever you want to use.

You can get a used Vetta for $700 with the floorboard. To buy the Vypyr and comprable floorboard new would be more than the price of a used vetta.

I would pick a tube vypyr over a vetta anyday. I'm not the one only on the boards who would either. The vetta is an okay amp but like I said it still has that digital toy sound to it especially at high volumes. It's not as warm as I'm used to.
TS:

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Location?

PS: When I started out I had a very similar set up to what you have now. Don't be ashamed but please keep an open mind to some of the suggestions made and strip out the bickering.
As much as I hate to say this, I'm gonna say it anyway...

I was using a Vetta II for the past year and recently sold it. I'm still in the process of finding a head to pair with my Peavey JSX cab. The other day I spent the day trying out several amps and came across the Vypyr (or however the hell you spell it) amps and decided to see what they're all about. I ended up going through all of the amp models, didn't mess with the effects, for about an hour since the store didn't really have any decent heads in stock other than a 6505, Road King, and a used JCM900.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time tweaking my Vetta II and created several patches that sounded pretty damn good. Although they sounded good, I was never all that happy with the amp. You use the post EQ and global EQ's to dial out some of the fizzy high end, but it always tends to thin out and sound flat.

As for what I honestly didn't expect to say... After spending about an hour with the Vypyr amps, I'd take one over a Vetta. That doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and buy one, that's just my own personal preference. I'm going back to tube amps, but that doesn't mean modeling amps don't cut it. My Vetta worked fine for what it was and I couldn't complain due to the amazing price I got for it new.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't playing the tubed Vypyrs, they didn't have any in the store yet. I don't buy into the whole hybrid thing anyway, it's not quite there yet. I am looking for a 2x12 combo amp to bring to rehearsals every weekend. Call me crazy, but I'm considering a Vypyr to leave at our rehearsal space.
Quote by hcsn2008
I would pick a tube vypyr over a vetta anyday. I'm not the one only on the boards who would either. The vetta is an okay amp but like I said it still has that digital toy sound to it especially at high volumes. It's not as warm as I'm used to.

That's kinda funny, I've owned quite a few tube amps, the vetta has the same warmth as the other amps i've owned. The only difference is the feel and the vetta gets a little fizzy if you're running EMG's.

I'm still down for the tone duel.

I find the Vypyr does a few sounds well but, they're somewhat on the basic side. It's a lot easier to use than the Vetta. I'll give you that much. For overall sound quality and the sheer versatility, I'd take the Vetta anyday.

What cab did you use with the Vetta? Running the G-flex or a cab with Eminence Legends makes it sound like a dream. Never have a fizz problem with passive pickups.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Mar 5, 2009,
Versatility definitely goes to the Vetta. When it comes to sound quality I'm not so sure I totally stand by the Vetta but I also can't fully say the Vypyr is better since I only spent about an hour with it.

I had the Vetta II 2x12 combo and used that most of the time, while I much rather would have went with the head. That doesn't say much since the build quality of the Vetta enclosure and the 'custom' speakers were pretty crappy. I sometimes used the ext. out to a Marshall 1960a cab or Mesa 2x12 Recto cab. Turning off the cab sims and using the Marshall or Mesa did sound better than the combo itself, but was still on the thin side.
Quote by kckyle
hughes and kettner switchblade>vypyr

That's like comparing a Corvette to a Hyundai Elentra.
Page 1 of 2