Simply put, I have a job, and on top of that my band is gigging this summer. So I may have some cash coming in. While I could use some guitar upgrades, at the moment I'm fine with what I have, and the same is true with my pedals except for my wah(though it's decent enough I can probably just get through with it until it dies, at which point I buy a Fulltone), so I figure I'll focus on something more important. The amp. My Blues Jr. has power and tone, and is loud enough for a 3-5 piece band, but since we seem to be slowly becoming Skynyrd-sized band, I figure I need more power. While I do have my drummer's father's 1960's Kustom 200W halfstack, I don't want to have to keep borrowing it and force the drummer to carry all that on top of his drumkit. Plus I'd like independence of my own amp. So I'm looking at a halfstack.

Requirements;

-Not too expensive. I may have a job and gigs, but I don't want to blow all this(judging by my parents, once I get my license I'm buying my own car and not driving theirs since, based on the past, they'll be afraid of me crashing it, so I need money for that)

-Controllable volume. I need this thing to be loud enough to be heard over two other guitarists, a keyboardist, a bassist and a drummer, but also quiet enough that it doesn't just have three settings; "Off, loud and more loud".

-Head and cab don't need to match. As long as the speakers in the cab and it's wood are good, I'm fine with anything for the Cab, and the head I don't give a damn about brands if it sounds good.

-SS is fine as long as it isn't crap SS. You know what I'm talking about. MG halfstacks, Spider III halfstacks, only decent solid-states need apply along with tube halfstacks.

-Versatile. We play everything from alt to punk to metal to blues to folk to country to classic rock to funk to *shudders* pop, so I need a lot of tones from this thing, though my pedals can get gain done except for incredibly high-gain stuff(though when I tried it my Big Muff did metal decently).

-See the above for lists of genres.

-Available from large retailers. My dad doesn't give a damn and my mother is pretty much xenophobic, so unless it's a big brand or a local brick-and-mortar store I can't get it since she holds the credit cards needed for online orders.

-Though not needed, two inputs would be great since, as a guitarist and vocalist, I commonly get shocked, and using the same amp for both the guitar and the amp usually lowers the amount of times that happens.

-If it's tube, cheap tube replacement. I don't have a lot of money and can really only afford this because of luck, so I can't afford to spend much on a new set of tubes if and when they blow.

So yeah, recommend what you want UG, I'm open to nearly anything.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 3, 2009,
oMMG liek U doNnt eVEn nyyed a HAlfstack!1!!
im kidding. im all for the stack. what would be an approx budget?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
oMMG liek U doNnt eVEn nyyed a HAlfstack!1!!
im kidding. im all for the stack. what would be an approx budget?

Preferably under $1,000, but I'd be willing to stretch to $1,500 if it truly is good, and $2,000 if it'll last long enough to justify that.

well.... i feel obligated to reccommend the peavey xxx. it has done everything for me.... but i suppose i sound like a broken record :/ haha
as for cabs.... i love the vader, but i also loved anything with v30s (avatar ftw)
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Hmm...could I get some links? I'd do it myself, but my computer is about a stable as a Megadeth fanboy at a Metallica concert, so it'll likely crash if I do much more than foruming.

^^Hmm...I like what I'm hearing. How much would a Mesa cab cost?

^Meh, I never liked the tone of that thing tbh. Just wasn't what I was looking for out of my amp.

Quote by Dobbin87
peavey 6505, end of discussion.

Yes, because the 6505 excels at blues, folk, country and classic rock styles.

I'm going to recommend the Marshall DSL50.
oh, and by the way, (not trying to suond like some elitist douche) but anyone that says the xxx has the upper hand on the 6505 is more than wrong. 6505 dominates the xxx in every stretch of the imagination.

disclaimer: i do not not own a peavey xxx or 6505, i own a peavey valveking, which i thoroughly love.
Quote by al112987
Yes, because the 6505 excels at blues, folk, country and classic rock styles.

I'm going to recommend the Marshall DSL50.

In searching for that, I actually found a combo I like. Would a Marshall DSL401 get what I need volume-wise?

Quote by Dobbin87
oh, and by the way, (not trying to suond like some elitist douche) but anyone that says the xxx has the upper hand on the 6505 is more than wrong. 6505 dominates the xxx in every stretch of the imagination.

disclaimer: i do not not own a peavey xxx or 6505, i own a peavey valveking, which i thoroughly love.

Again, 6505's just aren't the tone I'm looking for.

I'd go with a solid state Randall man. Their distortion is downright brutal (no pedals needed) and their clean tone is highly underrated. I've had a couple of them and they also have very usable reverb. If I were you I'd try to score an rg100es from the 80s because they are versatile and badass. You can normally find them on craigslist for like $250-$350. You can always find them on eBay if someone will let you pay via money order. Anyway go check out some reviews or YouTube clips. They also hve the new tube driven randalls (randall rm100) that are top of the line that kirk hammett,dan donegan, and george lynch use if you wanna spend like $1400-1500 you can get a 2x12 combo....just puttin it out there..check it out...
Solid state Randalls are only useful if you want nothing but the cleanest cleans and heaviest of gains and horrible tone all around.

Anyway...

The DSL401 is underrated but the DSL50 and 100s do sound quite a bit better.
Hmm...well, I'm loving the tone of both the DSL401 and the DSL50 in what I'm hearing off youtube, so I suppose I'll give both a whirl next time I go to GC and see which I like better in addition to the Peavey XXX's. Much appreciated to everyone on the advice as usual.

No offense but gimme a break man, even the edge of u2 uses (used) randall rgs. If that's not wide tonal poppy ass music I don't know what is. Also I have thousands of dollars worth of professional rack equipment and included is a Randall rg100ht which is just a rackmounted rg100es. The reason it's there amongst my Marshall jmp1 and my other stuff is belong it definitely belongs there and I can pull most tones out of it. By the way, tone is a highly subjective thing and this is just my opinion as well as anyone thats ever heard the tone out of my rig.
If you can get your Mom to let to buy a brand that'll save you alot of money, try and find some form of Sovtek MIG on ebay/craigslist, they're amazing clones of 80s Marshalls like the JCM800, 100watt Plexi and some hotrodded one.

Just search Sovtek Mig on ebay/youtube for some sounds, doesn't take pedals that well though, because it doesn't have an effects loop.
Quote by MadAudioMan
If you can get your Mom to let to buy a brand that'll save you alot of money, try and find some form of Sovtek MIG on ebay/craigslist, they're amazing clones of 80s Marshalls like the JCM800, 100watt Plexi and some hotrodded one.

Just search Sovtek Mig on ebay/youtube for some sounds, doesn't take pedals that well though, because it doesn't have an effects loop.

I rather disagree. The Mig 50's that I've played with all took to pedals exceptionally well. Sure, there's no effects loop, but with most single channel amps you would be relying on dirt boxes for most of the distortion anyway (keep it slightly broken up and roll off the guitar volume for clean tones). Putting everything in front of the amp keeps the cable routing all nice an tidy as well.

For reference sake I have a single channel amp with an effects loop that I'm yet to use (haven't ever even plugged anything into it) as I have absolutely no need for it.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
SS amps to look into:

Sunn Beta Lead
Line 6 Flextone
Line 6 Vetta
Ampeg VH140c

Tube amps to look into:

Fender Blues Deluxe
Mesa Express 5:25 or 5:50
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Traynor YCS50
Crate V33H + EarCandy Buzzbomb 2x12
B-52 AT-100 + Ear Candy Buzzbomb 2x12
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you would have lived in Europe, I would of recommended you an Orange rockerverb 50, but I know these feckers are expensive in the USA. It would suit your music styles perfectly though. VERY nice sparkling clean channel, heavenly crunch for rock styles, and if you turn the gain past 1 o'clock, it barks dark punchy metal tones.
The rocker 30 could be your thing too, but is less versatile than the rockerverb. More like a blues and rock amp. You can play metal on it, but you might need to tighten it up with an OD pedal for metal or soloing.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Originally Posted by Motorpud
I'd go with a solid state Randall man. Their distortion is downright brutal (no pedals needed) and their clean tone is highly underrated. I've had a couple of them and they also have very usable reverb. If I were you I'd try to score an rg100es from the 80s because they are versatile and badass. You can normally find them on craigslist for like $250-$350. You can always find them on eBay if someone will let you pay via money order. Anyway go check out some reviews or YouTube clips. They also hve the new tube driven randalls (randall rm100) that are top of the line that kirk hammett,dan donegan, and george lynch use if you wanna spend like $1400-1500 you can get a 2x12 combo....just puttin it out there..check it out...

The only thing those are good for is sounding like Dimebag, and his tone was not very good.
How about a used Mesa Boogie Mark III or IV combo? Wattage can be controlled from 85 W down to 15 W (if I'm not mistaken, could be lower) and you get any tone you want (minus death metal and extreme metal) ether with just the amp or a OD in front of it.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales