What would you recommend the best pickups to buy so it sounds like the Tom Morellos arm the homeless guitar because no one seems to know excatly what pickups he uses.

Thanks.
A Marshall JCM800 will get you closer to his sound than any pickup upgrade will. Pickups only 'shape' your sound a little bit, your amp is the most important aspect of your tone.
EMG H (not the passive ones, there is an active which is called the H) in the Neck
EMG 81 in the Bridge

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
EMG H (not the passive ones, there is an active which is called the H) in the Neck
EMG 81 in the Bridge

He actually uses EMG singles under the humbucker covers.
Quote by littlephil

Actually nobody knows really. Not even Tom and his tech. As I already said they are most likely an H in the neck (the active H is the same as the active S single coil just in humbucker form) and a 81 in the bridge (since I believe that Tom is using a hoter pickup in the bridge for solos).

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
In the Arm The Homeless, I thought I read in GW that it was an 81/85 combo. Maybe I'm wrong?
wait a second... you want the same sound as his guitar? and you think you can achieve this with pickups? lol!

same amp and the same pedals, with everything on the same settings will do it. new pickups wont even get you anywhere close (unless of course you already have the same amp and pedals all on the same settings, which in that case you would have already done your homework and you'd know which pickups he uses)
Pickups help, quite a bit. You try getting Chuck Schuldiners tone from The Sound of Perseverence without a Dimarzio X2N.
In reallity, like someone already said.. it's not the pickup, it's the Marshal JCM 800, but as for pickups that would work well for that kind of music... I recommend a Seymour Duncan JB Model if you have room for a full size humbucker, if no than pop in a single coil sized humbucker, either the Seymour Duncan JB JR. , or the Hot Rails ( i currently have the hot rails pickup on my tele and when I pull my volume knob up away from the guitar it switches off one coil so i have a single coil, it's really one of the most versitile pickups I have ever used). Those pickups will WITH OUT A DOUBT, get you the tone your looking for as pickups go... but again... you need a jcm 800, if you shop around on e-bay you can get the one speaker combo model for about $800.00, maybe less if you try this time of year... maybe as low as $500.00
Last edited by EffectsGuru at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by JagStang5246
Pickups help, quite a bit. You try getting Chuck Schuldiners tone from The Sound of Perseverence without a Dimarzio X2N.

They help. They wont make you sound like him.
If someone had an X2N playing through an MG or a Spider would they sound like Chuck? No.
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Actually nobody knows really. Not even Tom and his tech. As I already said they are most likely an H in the neck
(the active H is the same as the active S single coil just in humbucker form) and a 81 in the bridge (since I believe that Tom is using
a hoter pickup in the bridge for solos).

Wrong! Tom and his tech do know what pickups they are - they just don't know what speakers are in his cab. And he doesn't have an 81 in the bridge
for solos. He uses the neck pickup all the time, for solos he uses his EQ as a boost.

Quote by littlephil
A Marshall JCM800 will get you closer to his sound than any pickup upgrade will. Pickups only 'shape' your sound a little bit, your amp is the most important aspect of your tone.

Exactly this...
Also you'll have to get a body made from the same wood, same bridge (floyds have less tone/ sustain) You'll need his pedals, all the way down to the jazz picks

Quote by littlephil

Yeah, the H and/ or HA, The H is the S in a humbucker housing, the same for the HA although its the SA.
He uses a H in the neck but im not sure about the bridge its either another H or a HA...

Quote by JagStang5246
In the Arm The Homeless, I thought I read in GW that it was an 81/85 combo. Maybe I'm wrong?

He likes to switch out parts from that guitar alot so its possible that he has had that set in there somewhere along the line