I have a few people interested. A singer, a few guitarist and I'm just hitting up a bassist/guitarist right now). The singer knows a pretty good drummer as well. Its looking pretty good.

Few questions though.

I'm the youngest. I'm fifteen and the other people are 16-18. I've got heaps bad stage fright and I'm a pretty shy person. Any tips on dealing with older, more experienced, probably better people?

Were scattered all over the city. Should we pool our money and rent a place to rehearse? With 4-5 of us and if we each throw in about $10-$15 we could probably rent a place for a few hours every week. It would be a pain for most of us to get out gear there.

Or we could all meet up at someones place. That might be a problem though because we all live in different areas. It shouldn't be to hard for most of us but the singer and possible drummer live about 50 kilometers away from my place.

Since I'm the youngest and I obviously don't know any of these people since I met 'em on the net, what should i tell my parents? There pretty paranoid and my mum thinks everyone on the internet is a paedophile.

Frustrated... Suggestions?
Last edited by Final !mpact at Mar 3, 2009,
Can't help you with the stage fright, but I would rent a space. Typically, places like that have gear available to rent, in addition to the space, so if you can't/won't lug around your amps and stuff, just bring some extra cash.
Also, if you want to meet them, have them meet you at a coffee shop or something. take in a band, talk about the what you guys wanna do, etc. Nice, public place, good food, music, etc.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
as for the stage fright, I'm sad but you just have to grow out of it by being on stage; there's no miracle cure available as far as I know.

I'd get a place kind in the middle of every ones' house so all get as equal distances as possible, get me?

as for the last thing..
IMO you should like ask the parents to drive you there at least the first rehearsal?

you never know how people Really are

EDIT: ^^ yeah, meet'em in a public place if you absolutely have to keep your parents out fof it
You like it
Quote by Final !mpact
I'm the youngest. I'm fifteen and the other people are 16-18. I've got heaps bad stage fright and I'm a pretty shy person. Any tips on dealing with older, more experienced, probably better people?

Just because they're older it does not make them better. Just learn your parts and play them well. As long as you're well practiced you will do a good job when you get a gig.
Quote by Final !mpact
Were scattered all over the city. Should we pool our money and rent a place to rehearse? With 4-5 of us and if we each throw in about $10-$15 we could probably rent a place for a few hours every week. It would be a pain for most of us to get out gear there.

I wouldn't unless you had to just to save everyone some money.

Quote by Final !mpact
Since I'm the youngest and I obviously don't know any of these people since I met 'em on the net, what should i tell my parents? There pretty paranoid and my mum thinks everyone on the internet is a paedophile.

Considering you've never met them, I would not invite them to your home. Meet them in a very public place first. Then you can worry about where you will practice.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
On stage fright, the best thing you can do is simply be comfortable with the material and playing with your band. If you're comfortable with those things during practice, just tell yourself on stage that this is just another practice, only glorified a bit. If you screw up, don't give the slightest sh*t about it and just keep playing. During shows many people will not notice those mistakes unless they cause you to fall out of the song because you were worrying about it. Every musician EVER has made mistakes during shows, it's only human. What makes the pros good is their ability to take it in stride.

Also even if the others seem superior, don't sweat it. Just keep playing and improving yourself and don't compare yourself to other musicians. They may be faster or more technical but maybe you have better rhythm or timing. It's really all relative.
U should tell at least someone your going like a friend or something just to be safe.
stage fright usually goes away as soon as you play that first note, just make sure you know the songs backwards and forwards, and you don't have to worry about that.

I was freaking out when i played my first gig, standing behind stage sweating bullets, just take a deep breath and get out there and start as soon as possible, b/c playing is your element, and you'll be comfortable once you start playing.
1. The only cure for stage fright is facing it head on... over... and over until you're comfortable.

2. Tell your potential band mates that you look at this situation as a learning experience AND a means of making some cash on the side.

3. Yes! Either rent a place or take turns having rehearsals at each other's houses.

4. Tell your parents that you want to surround yourself with talented musicians to better YOURSELF as a musician.

5. Most people on the internet ARE paedophiles. Don't go into chatrooms.
Quote by Final !mpact
There pretty paranoid and my mum thinks everyone on the internet is a paedophile.

They are, aren't they? That's what I always thought.

Quote by Final !mpact
They're pretty paranoid and my mom thinks everyone on the internet is a pedophile.

I fixed that for you too
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
OK I asked a dude I actually know if he's interested. I gave him my number and he said he'll think about it then call me. Haven't heard back but if he's in atleast I'll know someone.

One last question. We all want to write origionals. Whats the best way to show a song to the band? Being the youngest I feel I have a bit more to prove.

Quote by pengiunman
They are, aren't they? That's what I always thought.

I fixed that for you too

Actually mum is spelt mum over here . Also spell checker said it was spelt paedophile.
Quote by Final !mpact
Actually mum is spelt mum over here . Also spell checker said it was spelt paedophile.

Ok w/e Mr. Australia.
And sorry about that paedophile thing I guess.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by pengiunman
Ok w/e Mr. Australia.
And sorry about that paedophile thing I guess.

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
I have pretty bad stage fright and I've been playing live for 15+ years. It's something you learn to live with after a while. A couple times I was on complete auto-pilot because I was so freaked out, but strangely the performance went very well. On the other hand, a couple times here and there I was feeling confident, but the performance was a complete disaster. Bottom line is to make sure you have your act together, so to speak.

As a parent, I don't think I'd like my kid renting rehearsal space with complete strangers. Perhaps one of your parents can come along to "help with gear and/or money" so you don't have feel embarrassed.
Last edited by tagyoureit at Mar 5, 2009,