Poll: Is it because of my guitar playing, or just the guitar pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it because of my guitar playing, or just the guitar pick?
Guitar Playing
12 44%
Pick
15 56%
Voters: 27.
hi guys
its me again
i wanted to ask you today a seemingly stupid but helpful question (helpful to me).

i have a guitar pick, some horrible un-branded purple colored hard material'd and totally worn out guitar pick. since i am currently living in a terrorist country under some army seige (yes, pakistan) there are currently no usable guitar picks available there.

when you look at my pick from the very bottom (looking towards the tip facing you) you will see a wavy line (yes, i shred a lot [alternate picking]) which means that right edge of the top part of the tip is kinda chipped off, and the left edge of the bottom part of the tip is kinda chipped off as well.. something like a downslide.

now... i was able to play the FATAL TRAGEDY SOLO by DREAM THEATER before... now some parts of it just dont come to me! i mean.. my PICK GETS STUCK IN THE DAMNED STRINGS WHEN IM SHREDDING THE FIRST PART OF THE SOLO.. which stops me from alternate picking and my pick just gets "HELD" at the bottom of the string.. causing me to seize whatever i was picking!

i want to know if this is because of my playing, or because of the pic im using?
The pick, try and get a Dunlop Jazz III
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
It'll be the pick. If its got a jagged edge then yeah, I can see that being a problem. If you can't find a pick then you can probably make your own from any piece of plastic or whatever you find lying around.
the worn edges will make it easier to get caught
maybe file the edges down a bit?
or try to find a heavier pick once everything calms down, because they dont tear up at all
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
the worn edges will make it easier to get caught
maybe file the edges down a bit?
or try to find a heavier pick once everything calms down, because they dont tear up at all

Actually they do, that is if you do in intentionally.

If you do not have a new pick yet, try using the 2 other edges of your pick. If you get the same problem, probably its about your picking.
ok...

NOW FOR THE ULTIMATE TEST

as we speak, i am customizing my only guitar pick with sandpaper. hope this works out.

(fingers crossed)
Quote by batiboy06
Actually they do, that is if you do in intentionally.

If you do not have a new pick yet, try using the 2 other edges of your pick. If you get the same problem, probably its about your picking.

there are no other 2 edges. the top two ones are completely round... impossible to play with them!
I think the pick is essential but playing too. Get a pick you can shred with, i just got used to using Dunlop Tortex picks 0.88 (Greenies!) And now i can't AP if it's not with them lol.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
tl;dr . didn't read, voted for playing...
but after reading, I'd say in your case it's the pick.

Edit: if you can get ahold of an old cd, a descent pair of scissors, a smooth rock, and a rough piece of cloth. make your own.
I done this one day just to see how it would play, and even though it's hard to get them to where they don't make a scratchy sound, they by no means will catch on the strings.
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Mar 3, 2009,
Might be a bit of both, but a good pick definately helps. I use Dunlop Gators, between .60 and .50. They're awesome allrounders.
just buy a 72 pack (like 12 bucks) of dunlop yellow tortex, .78 or something. i like 'em cause i case use them from acoustic or electrics. greens are a little thick for my electric tastes, banging on acoustic though.
thanks for the help a lot guys!!!

now... i have successfully 'modified' my guitar pick with sand paper.

now when i play with this customized pick, i play that part much much better but the edges are really really rough still (i used sandpaper on a very thick pick) and sometimes it still gets 'caught' around the strings. but now IMO i think its just my guitar pick.

i dont believe that whatever you have accomplished can ever leave you. =D ima start a new thread: do you believe whatever you accomplish in guitar ever leaves you? !!!

lol. alright thanks guys!