everyone here bandwagons valves saying they sound better.

for metal is a epi junior with distortion pedal better tone wise?
i could see how you could think the valve amp would be better with a pedal becoz pedals good for valve blah blah blah, but its a crappy valve so go a big cube 60 or 80
I'd say it would depend on the pedal that you use.

Generally the Cube will get better distortion, unless you're using a Radial Tonebone with the VJ or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^I agree. But it would have to be the Head verson of the VJ running into a good cab.
Not taking any online orders.
so why does everyone say tube is better than SS. surely thats a little bandwagon isnt it?

dont get me wrong, i think a strat clean into a tube amp sounds gorgeous. but for anything dirty it seems SS seem the way to go?

horses for courses?
^nope, it's down to the options you gave us. The VJ is great for classic rock tone but it has very little headroom and no preamp distortion so it's not good for metal. Metal amps need preamp distortion and more headroom on the power amp so that they don't get muddy. Had you given us the option of a JCM800 or a cube I think most people would go with the valve amp.
VJ even with pedals isnt the best for metal, So given the options, Roland Cube wins.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Quote by CorduroyEW
^nope, it's down to the options you gave us. The VJ is great for classic rock tone but it has very little headroom and no preamp distortion so it's not good for metal. Metal amps need preamp distortion and more headroom on the power amp so that they don't get muddy. Had you given us the option of a JCM800 or a cube I think most people would go with the valve amp.

i guess what im illustrating is, valve isnt always the best. i think everyone knows a high end mesa is a nice thing to have though ;-)

i have had two cubes previouslly and an ac30. to be honest i really liked the SS cubes for my style of play. but then the ac30 was overkill for what i needed and my talent level
^You aren't illustrating that at all. You are illustrating that an amp designed for blues tone isn't as good for metal as an amp built for metal. In this situation the valves are irrelevant. If you want to prove something you need to compare amps that were built for the same task. Compare Jazz chorus to a blackface Dual Showman or a Cube to a DSL2000 if you want to make a point.
screw both those amps and save up and buy a Peavey 5150 full stack. that would look sick in your bedroom.
I reading this thinking,finally a thread about amps where no one has said 'get this' or 'get that'
Until the above post.
And no...if he's looking for a small bedroom amp,possibly tube,he doesn't need an all tube full stack.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by fiztech
so why does everyone say tube is better than SS. surely thats a little bandwagon isnt it?

dont get me wrong, i think a strat clean into a tube amp sounds gorgeous. but for anything dirty it seems SS seem the way to go?

horses for courses?

So then.... a Mesa tripple rec or a nice solid state amp for metal?
Does your Viper have actives TS? I'm not too fond of actives into a SS amp but thats just me. You could look at maybe say a used Peavey Classic 30 + a good pedal. I would think that would give you a better metal tone but then again no ones asked you what sort of metal you want to play. 80's metal? downtuned-to-whatever-the-hell-you-kids-play-at-these-days metal? and so on. I guess Cube is always a safe bet, but you could try looking at some used stuff if you don't mind that and get some great deals especially nowadays.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
no my viper is a 301 (passive emg). although i am looking at a standard ESP. locking tuners, 85/81 pups etc, SICK !

without spending more than $1000 for a bedroom amp, is anything else going to sound better than a cube 20/30/60 for metal/progressive rock?

i found my last cube 20, the clean tone was as good as the valve amps i had played at the same time (nothing special in this lot i admit). maybe im not fussy enough, or possibly not a try hard like some. maybe both.

F it, im off to buy another cube me thinks.
^^^ Wait if you have a $1000 budget, why the hell are you looking at roland cubes? You could get a used jcm800 combo if youcan find one on craigslist or something. With a budget like that there is much better than cubes.
Short answer is the Cube will do it cheaper, but a Vj with good pedals will out do it. and when you decide to upgrade the Vj to something else you'll still have the good pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Try a Peavey Vypyr, there great for metal. (and just about everything else)
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Last edited by DiizZ at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by JoePerry4life
^^^ Wait if you have a $1000 budget, why the hell are you looking at roland cubes?

He's from New Zealand, we get screwed over for gear.
Gear!:

Epiphone G400
Marshall JCM 800 4211 Combo
Karmer Forum III
Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5
Holden Graphic something bass amp? (eh it's 300 watts!)
Some sort of 1x15 cab.
Quote by fiztech

horses for courses?

Not at all. Other way around, if anything.
Solid States are very clean, good for jazz and stuff, but they really lack the depth tube amps do.
Tube amps just sound so much more...thick, really. They are all 'round better amps.

There are some solid states that are better than cheap valve amps, but that's only if you compare a high-end Randall to a really crappy tube amp (can't think of an example right now).

EDIT: Buy the Vypyr. Pretty nice amps.
Member of the Laney Cult
Last edited by JaykeSucks at Mar 5, 2009,
Ahh I just checked trademe for any good amps in your price range but couldn't find one.
There's some dude selling a Peavey Classic 30 for exactly $1000 though.

Peavey Classic 30

They can do Metal but not uber brootalz.
I managed to get like a Lamb of God type tone when I played one, and you could always just save up for a Bad Monkey (only cost like $130) and add as a boost.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
cube ftw
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
yeah... am 800 out here usualy is well over 1000, try the vypyr, or save a bit more and get an 800, i'd back you on the 800 100%
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive