I've been going through some of the songs with my old amp, now I have a new one, an HT-5 with a TS9DX, a metal muff, and an MXR M-108 EQ. Way too many knobs for me to figure out at once.

Can anyone help me a bit getting closer to Metallica's latest sound? Also, what about Panthera's general metal sound?

Thanks!
Not too sure about the Death Magnetic sound, havn't listened to it enough to say. For a Dimebag sound crank up the gain on your muff nice and high, boost your bass and treble way up and cut your mids out almost completely. I guess you could either EQ solely with your muff and use your EQ pedal to change textures for solos or whatever or set your muff pretty flat EQ wise and scoop your mids with the EQ pedal. Up to you really, each way may give you a slightly different sound.
Quote by Waylanderau
Not too sure about the Death Magnetic sound, havn't listened to it enough to say. For a Dimebag sound crank up the gain on your muff nice and high, boost your bass and treble way up and cut your mids out almost completely. I guess you could either EQ solely with your muff and use your EQ pedal to change textures for solos or whatever or set your muff pretty flat EQ wise and scoop your mids with the EQ pedal. Up to you really, each way may give you a slightly different sound.

+1 for the dimebag sound there, you need lots of gain and an eq'ing set to where you'll hit pinch harmonics on accident.

For Metallica's Death magnetic album, you need to set your gain on 15, then put a mic in front of the amp and set IT's gain on 15 ... that should get you somewhere close.
No seriously, last time I tried to listen to that album it sounded like distorted distortion, kinda like the mud you get when you overpower a mic....
Pantheras? i thought it was Pantera.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
+1 for the dimebag sound there, you need lots of gain and an eq'ing set to where you'll hit pinch harmonics on accident.

For Metallica's Death magnetic album, you need to set your gain on 15, then put a mic in front of the amp and set IT's gain on 15 ... that should get you somewhere close.
No seriously, last time I tried to listen to that album it sounded like distorted distortion, kinda like the mud you get when you overpower a mic....

wtf is this guy on about? an amps max is 11 and only nigel from spinal tap owns 1 like that

metallica would've used their mesa's for DM. unscooped tones, mids at 8, teeb 8 bass at 5 or lower. gain 8-10

just a trebly and gainy tone pretty much, it is most likely layered on the album, which explains the thickness of it
Quote by jimithrash
wtf is this guy on about? an amps max is 11 and only nigel from spinal tap owns 1 like that

metallica would've used their mesa's for DM. unscooped tones, mids at 8, teeb 8 bass at 5 or lower. gain 8-10

just a trebly and gainy tone pretty much, it is most likely layered on the album, which explains the thickness of it

1. L2joke.
2. My peavey classic 30 goes to 12.

Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Mar 3, 2009,
my marshall's gain goes up to 20.

suck on that nigel.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
1. L2joke.
2. My peavey classic 30 goes to 12.

i was joking too but it's less evident :p
Thanks alot everyone

One more thing, I'm going for Fade to Black's second as my next solo, what should I be looking at for that kind of sound?

And yeah, Pantera :P the s is an 's
Quote by JackalUK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFEzk2VRXM

He's dropped his trousers ready...

...damn.

that'll have to do for now.

I'll do the rest later when nobody else is watching.

It's times like these I wish I could edit forum posts
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
death magnetic is played quite alot of clean, with light to heavy overdrive and distortion mixed in

eg. the day that never comes

intro - clean w/ reverb
kirks lead - small OD
verse - clean
chorus- distorted (fairly heavy)
solo - distorted with wah

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

the day that never comes is a ballad, I thought it was pretty obvious I was looking for the cool riffs :P
well first off ur gonna need to run out and pickup a nice 800 gibson flying v for leads and a nice randall stack forleads. and for rythym u can grabb the esp truckster at 400 greenbacks with a marshall amp. For Pantera get a Dean Razorback and a Marshall with a boss flanger pedal. ps. listen to cowboys from hell to find out what i mean about the flanger.
Quote by Alexicob
well first off ur gonna need to run out and pickup a nice 800 gibson flying v for leads and a nice randall stack forleads. and for rythym u can grabb the esp truckster at 400 greenbacks with a marshall amp. For Pantera get a Dean Razorback and a Marshall with a boss flanger pedal. ps. listen to cowboys from hell to find out what i mean about the flanger.

Quote by telecastermetal
i dont live in merica.
and enter sandman has good songs
The tone on Death Magnetic is what I would call muddy distortion.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
The tone on Death Magnetic is what I would call muddy distortion.

Its sounds fine to me. Lots of people have complained about it, so give me an example of a part of a song that sounds muddy?

It isn't their best tone though. I like the Black Album/Load era for the best tones.