okay, so ill be recording;
-acoustic guitar.
-vocals.
-electric guitar.
-fruity loops electro-pop.

i have an acer laptop with 2gb ram running the latest reaper. i have plugged into this a behringer desk coming out of the "tape out" through two rca cords and into the line in on the laptop.

for vocals i have a real nice beyer dynamic mic that i run through the desk.

for acoustic i have a cole clark fat lady one being miced up by a beyer-dynamic condenser mic, the mic is an "opus 53". sounds good. also have the guitar picup running sometimes.

for electric im playing a cole clark mistress, through a 60's fender twin reverb, miced up with either the same mic i do vocals with, or sometimes a sm57.

so yeah, i cant afford an interface, but im hoping i can get some alright sounding recordings out of all this.
is there anything you can suggest to make my recordings any better? i dont mind how theyre sounding, id just love some advice.
thanks
If you can, use 2 mics for recording the guitars. where exactly to place the mics will be up to you in the end as you'll just have to move the till they sound good, but in my experience I've found it quite good to ave 1 mic close miked and 1 a little further away as this combination adds a bit of the direct sound of the guitar as well as the more roomy sound.
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
...coming out of the "tape out" through two rca cords and into the line in on the laptop.

A recording is only as good as the weakest link in the chain, and thats a pretty weak link right there.
sadly, an interface is mandatory for anything remotely decent.
Buy a pack of Berhinger C-2s they're the best IMO for stereo recording. they come in packs of two, and have a t-bar bracket. They even work decent on vocals, even though they're an instrument mic.

You should get a line out-usb converter box, so you can record 2 tracks at once.
without one your recording will sound like crp coming through a 1/8' to a headphone jack.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Buy a pack of Berhinger C-2s they're the best IMO for stereo recording. they come in packs of two, and have a t-bar bracket. They even work decent on vocals, even though they're an instrument mic.

You should get a line out-usb converter box, so you can record 2 tracks at once.
without one your recording will sound like crp coming through a 1/8' to a headphone jack.

okay, so even tho i have a behringer desk, id like to steer clear from that brand a little, ic had bad experiences. are the c-2s condencer mics or what? you didnt make that too clear.

and...
"line out-usb converter box".

is that different from a usb two track interface? or is that what you sorta meant?

thanks for the help btw.
Behringer is fine for entry-level stuff. Most of the drum tracks in my profile were recorded through a Behringer mixer. My drum overheads are Behringer. I have a Behringer headphone amp. (and an outboard compressor that I never use....)

I've had very, very few problems (in fact, only one that I can think of readily) with any of their stuff.

Can you get better stuff? Of course you can.... but you'll pay about twice as much before you start noticing any real difference.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Forget about new mics, you NEED an interface. The line in is the weak link in the chain.

Assumably VERY weak at that..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Agreed.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by timbit2006

This guy has two Beyerdynamic Mics and a 57, and you're suggesting he by Behringer condensers? I don't follow.
Laptop speakers are probably the worst thing for any recording. Have you got headphones or monitors coming from the desk?

To be honest I've done some passable stuff using the line in jack, but you might as well get a cheapo Behringer interface or similar, they're dirt cheap...
Quote by take_it_t
This guy has two Beyerdynamic Mics and a 57, and you're suggesting he by Behringer condensers? I don't follow.

Well played!

CT