I've been looking through some other bassists pedal boards (especially on TalkBass) and some of them use guitar pedals like MXR Distortion+, Big Muff Pi and ProCo RAT.

I play guitar too, so I'd like to try kill two birds with one stone and buy pedals that work for both. Can anyone name any other guitar distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals that work well with bass?
You have just listed them.

I all actuality those pedals do work to give you a certain sound, but kill your low end. There really is very little in the way of guitar pedal that will work well with bass, they will just work to give you and interesting sound. So if that's what you are going for, test any pedal you want, but if you want to keep your bass range, get a bass pedal.
Quote by TormentedRx
You have just listed them.

I all actuality those pedals do work to give you a certain sound, but kill your low end. There really is very little in the way of guitar pedal that will work well with bass, they will just work to give you and interesting sound. So if that's what you are going for, test any pedal you want, but if you want to keep your bass range, get a bass pedal.

I thought the pedals I listed keep at least most of the bass range.
if you are trying to save cash i would suggest buying two second hand pedals. One for guitar and one for bass. Becasue at the end of the day either your bass or guitar is going to have to compromise in someway
I played through my friend's guitar distortion unit(EHx Pocket Metal Muff) the other day, and my lows were cut quite a bit. You could try countering that with an EQ pedal, or by altering the EQ settings on your bass and amp.
Hi.
May i suggest to flip your idea upside down? Instead, it would be pretty cool if you bought a bass pedal and used it for guitar as well. I never did that, but assuming since a bass amp and a guitar sound pretty f*ckin good, i can only assume the pedal wont be too different. If you REALLY want a guitar pedal though, then try the russian big muff, but on the bass you will lose some low end
It depends hugely on sound, maybe for soloing\ or solo work, it would be great, and for higher elements of playing.

The cooler thing to do is too use a stereo rig, one for clean and one for all your pedals. The clean amp holds down all bottom end while the other amp, takes all the pedals. Sexy or what.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
It depends hugely on sound, maybe for soloing\ or solo work, it would be great, and for higher elements of playing.

The cooler thing to do is too use a stereo rig, one for clean and one for all your pedals. The clean amp holds down all bottom end while the other amp, takes all the pedals. Sexy or what.

That would be ideal I suppose, but not exactly cost effective.
He would need two amps to stereo rig. Also a belnd pedal of some sort would work. GM jack does something along those lines and it seems to work.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
well, i assumed he already had one amp, seeing as he is looking for a distortion pedal

a what pedal?

I thought to achieve that you had to put the bass through a DI box and then into the two seperate amps?
You could just get a splitter or even a y cable to achive this.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
ah yes, that probably would be a lot simpler...

Would the Y cable not halve the signal going to the amps though. Im not too well versed on electronics, but i was always under the impression that the D.I box kind of replicated the signal coming from your bass so that you were getting full strength going out on both outputs, whereas a splitter cable would only send a half strength signal to both?
Well, im not sure there, but you would need a DI with two outs and i think most of them only have 1
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
He would need two amps to stereo rig. Also a belnd pedal of some sort would work. GM jack does something along those lines and it seems to work.

http://www.bargeconcepts.com/vfb1.html
thats what he uses
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I think I'll settle on bass specific pedals with their own Dry/Wet blend control. Digitech Bass Driver seems like a good start.
i do own a boss bass odb-3. it works better for guitar than it does for bass. has a wet dry control bass and treble and gain. It's ok for bass if you're not gonna be doing anything big with it. like just at home stuff.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu