attention: bad english

Hey just wondering .. whats the differences between barre chords and open chords! I mean is it a matter of taste how you want to play a song? Whats more comfortable to you? I always use barre chords .. i m self taught.. so barre was way much more easier to memorize all the major/minor chords compare to open chords... i m currently trying to learn open chords cz its kinda ridiculous to say i know how to play guitar without know the basic maj/minor open chords. Will this be useful to me or i m just wasting my time? I find it very hard when i change chords i get confused with my fingers .. plus i cant palm-mute very fast like i do with barre chords.. i play mainly play ska-punk stuff which needs really fast palm mute upstrokes .. so can someone clear my confused mind between barre and open chords?

thanks
open chords are played with open strings (ie strings you dont fret) whereas barre chords are basically the same but played with your index finger across all six strings, effectively shifting the nut anywhere on the neck. good for singers transposing to different keys.

barre chords would be essential for you for your ska mutes, because you can use the index finger on your left hand to mute the strings, palm muting isnt really what you want for that "chk chk" ska upstroke sound.
you are never wasting your time learning the open chords, because many of them are nice and easy. they will help learning what notes make up what chords, then you can work on what the bar chord equivalent is, then shift it up the neck.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Well, for open chords you use the open strings for the lower notes of the chords rather than your finger. For example, look at an Emaj shape for the chord Emaj and F maj;

F major  E major

e-1-------0
B-1-------0
G-2-------1
D-3-------2
A-3-------2
E-1-------0

You just use the open strings instead of your finger. That's the only difference really.
Call me Batman.
Last edited by J.A.M at Mar 3, 2009,
and if you move the Emaj tab JAM posted 12 frets up(or up 8 frets and one string), then voila, you have an Emaj barre chord that is exactly one octave higher than the open version.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
thank you all for your replies i noticed that barre chords sounds better with distortion but open chords are cooler when u pickin IMO .. so its all a matter of taste and what fits better in ur music style.
Quote by FunkasPuck
and if you move the Emaj tab JAM posted 12 frets up(or up 8 frets and one string), then voila, you have an Emaj barre chord that is exactly one octave higher than the open version.

If you know where notes are on the low E string, you can have any major chord you want by moving the shape so that your first finger is barring the strings at the correct fret too
Call me Batman.
Quote by Shredy_Mc_shred
Barre chords sound better when you want a distorted sound.

It tends to sound better if you use Double-Stops or 4th/5th Chords.
i m really curious what do u guys prefer more? i mean isnt it much more easier to jammin around using bar chords? for ex. trying to compose a cool catchy chord progression is much more easier movin up and down ur hand on fretboard ..
Quote by goldfinger69
i m really curious what do u guys prefer more? i mean isnt it much more easier to jammin around using bar chords? for ex. trying to compose a cool catchy chord progression is much more easier movin up and down ur hand on fretboard ..

It depends on what you're trying to write. If it's going to be an acoustic song, many prefer open chords. If it's going to be electric with distortion, barre chords (or power chords) are the way to go. However, many prefer to blend both together. And as your theory and muscle memory improves, you will eventually be able to do so seamlessly.