Yeah the question asked 300 gajillion times on here, oh well.

Alright, so I'm looking into a head and a cab for metal, something with a really really tight sound. I tried out Marshalls alot, but they all don't have that punch that, say, Engl amps I've tried have.

so, out of these amps

Line6 HD147
Engl Screamer 50
Bogner Alchemist

what are your experiences and crap?
The Screamer is probably your best bet.

Unless you need a lot of versatility, in which case, go with the HD147.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't think the Alchemist will get into the metal range. Without a few pedals at least.

Definitely look at the screamer though.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Alchemist CAN get into the metal territory with a boost, but it's not voiced for that, so don't bother imo. Also, Line 6 HD might sound great now but as time progresses I think that your ear will be fatigued and bothered by the digitalness of the tone you will start to hear. Best bet out of that lineup is a Screamer, it got every metal tone i wanted when I tried it, but with a boost it will even put you moreso into that territory. Also, Krank = Fizzfest imo.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Mar 3, 2009,
Ive tried the Screamer and I think its amazing, maybe you should try the Fireball to.

Off topic: kayman121 im planning to get the Fireball, do you recommend it? or can you recommend me another amp for that price thats better?
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
i suggest looking at peaveys, there my no1 choice for metal, the 5150 etc for metalcore and the xxx/jsx series for a smooth, non-fizzy metal tone,

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I tried the peaveys, and I really did not like them. I found the Screamer to be superior to every peavy amp I played (granted, it was only the 6150 model and XXX)

I looked up the fireball, it seems pretty cool as well, but the Screamer is cheaper and has 4 Channels, which is something that might come in handy.
Fireball vs Screamer totally depends on what you're playing. The screamer I'd say is much more versatily, but if you're playing out and out death/melodic death/thrash/prog metal, the fireball is it. It is more compressed than the screamer...some like it some dont..i do
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
marshall should work for metal just put a few pedals on there digitech death metal, boss metal zone , boss metal core should work but i hear good things about randall heads and i hear kranks are good for solos get the KRANKENSTIEN.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I tried the peaveys, and I really did not like them. I found the Screamer to be superior to every peavy amp I played (granted, it was only the 6150 model and XXX)

I looked up the fireball, it seems pretty cool as well, but the Screamer is cheaper and has 4 Channels, which is something that might come in handy.

then im sorry that i can't help, because your tone taste buds are the opposite to mine, but having said that it would mean that you would probably prefer the screamer, because i prefer the fireball.

good luck in your amp quest!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
My vote goes for the ENGL.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
i'd have to say the ENGL. the line 6 is a great amp and more flexible than the screamer though, and the computer connectivity it has is great, but just like someone else said, the tone of the engl won't get boring as fast, and generally, for high end amps, if you have the oppurtunity to go tube, then theres a good chance its the best route
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman

well, i guess loud enough to play live, but in the end I guess that's what, 30, 40 watts of tube amp?
and used tube amps are definately an option, but not used modelling heads.
and thanks for the links, I keep on forgetting that Engl is a german brand
But I don't mind having a one-trick poney, because as long as it has the sound I'm looking for, I'll be happy.
The Switchblade is not a modelling amp, if that is what you mean. The one I linked to is new by the way. The Fireballs aren't too expensive new either, but why pay more if it's not necessary...

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get a used Framus Dragon, they go for 1200€ used I think. I have seen a couple on ebay in the last few months, but there are no interesting offerings right now. A Framus Cobra would be an option, too, but they are rare.

Last one that comes to mind: Used JCM900? Quite affordable and plenty of gain from what I remember.

EDIT: Forgot, a used Engl Savage 60 shouldn't be too expensive and it does metal. The Savage 120 costs more, but there probably is no point for you to get the louder version. Only problem is that the 60 is hard to find.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 3, 2009,