So I'm planning a tube-change in my Vox AD30VT. Right now it's got the stock EH 12AX7 and it's sounding quite middy. I mean, it's a Vox modeller, but it's sounding -really- muddy. When I got it it was sounding a lot better than it is now, so I figured I'd try a new tube.

My question is, should I go for another EH one or should I try, for example, a Tung-Sol one instead? From what I've read, there are mixed feelings about using another type. The cleans being inaudible and such.

Opinions?
buy an actual tube amp? Then worry about the tubes?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
I didn't see that coming.

I am, naturally, planning to do so sometime in the future, but due to having the economy of a student (since I am, in fact, a student), I can't afford one at the moment. Thus, I want to make my current amp sound as good as possible.
Changing the preamp tube in that amp may not have much of an effect on tone like it will in an all tube amp. Some have said its pretty hard to get the stock tube out of it anyways.
eh, it's a 12Ax7, buy one for $12, and replace it. if it does nothing, oh well. It's only a few $
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Mar 3, 2009,
It's not going to make a difference. The effects processor comes before the tube anyway.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.