http://www.gamespot.com/news/6205495.html?part=rss&tag=gs_xbox_360&subj=6205495

Good riddance.

"

Looking back, 2008 was a litigious year for Guitar manufacturer Gibson. Three years after a 2005 deal with Activision to have licensed the use of its guitars in Guitar Hero games, the Nashville-based instrument-maker went after the Santa Monica-based game publisher in court.

Gibson's lawsuit contended that Guitar Hero's mock guitars--modeled on actual Gibson axes under license--infringed on a patent it registered in 1999 for "technology for simulating a musical performance." So adamant was the six-string-supplier about its claims that it threatened legal action in a Tennessee court against retailers who sold Guitar Hero games and Electronic Arts and MTV over Rock Band's faux guitar.

After the original filing last March, Activision quickly asked the US District Court of Central California to throw out Gibson's suit and prevent the guitar maker from seeking damages. Last Thursday, the court did exactly that, summarily dismissing the contention that Guitar Hero violated U.S. Patent No. 5,990,405, which Gibson holds.

"No reasonable person of ordinary skill in the relevant arts would interpret the '405 Patent as covering interactive video games," wrote Judge Mariana R. Pfaelzer in a stern ruling obtained by GameSpot. "Gibson would have this Court determine that any device that controls something that produces musical sounds is covered by the '405 Patent."

The Tennessee motions also appear doomed, as they had been stayed pending the outcome of Judge Pfaelzer's decision."
lame
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
Tl;dr - Gibson lost court case due to the case of "technology for simulating a musical performance" being not true because a guitar hero controller doesn't produce musical notes.

Something like that anyways.
TL;DR IS HERE!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Mar 3, 2009,
Am I the only one whose first reaction was, " Gibson made a skin-tight suit to go along with Guitar Hero ?"
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
Am I the only one whose first reaction was, " Gibson made a skin-tight suit to go along with Guitar Hero ?"

I thought Gibson made a Guitar Hero suit too.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Karvid

yes.
So wait, gibson gave permission for Activision to model the controllers after their guitars... then sued them for it??
360 Gamertag: NEB Vanguard

Quote by josh15742
you sir are epic in every way imaginable

i literally bursted out laughing

Quote by Kenny77
Hats off to you sir!

yup. they we're like "sure!.................................................but wait a minute!"

Idiots.
They are not suing over the use of the musical instruments in the game. Read the story and you may understand what is going on. A few years back Gibson patented a system to allow a user to "play along" with music. They said that Activision encroached on this patent with the Guitar Hero games.

Activision is very lucky that they weren't forced to give Gibson most of the profits from the game as the Guitar Hero series is very close to what Gibson's patent describes. It just uses a plastic controller instead of a real guitar. Most of the Gibson hardware that would be used in the patented case is software in Activision's game.
It was a ridiculous suit so no I'm not surprised..
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
oh a lawsuit. I thought it was a suit you would wear that gibson designed, that somebody threw out. I'm soo tired right now.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Do Americans sue for EVERYTHING?

Yup, just like how all Germans are Nazi's and all men in the UK beat up 15 year old girls.

GTFO.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
ahh thats why

in guitar hero 1,2 and 3, all the guitars had the proper gibson names, and shape

I wonderd why in world tour, they all have werid names and don't look the same anymore, and gibson isnt to be seen anywhere.

I would of thought gibson would of stayed with guitar hero though, thats dam good publicity.
"kid who doesn't play real guitar, wants to play real guitar because he likes guitar hero, goes onto guitar hero and says... WOW that les paul looks nice, then rich kid buys £1000 les paul"
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by stratele
ahh thats why

in guitar hero 1,2 and 3, all the guitars had the proper gibson names, and shape

I wonderd why in world tour, they all have werid names and don't look the same anymore, and gibson isnt to be seen anywhere.

I would of thought gibson would of stayed with guitar hero though, thats dam good publicity.
"kid who doesn't play real guitar, wants to play real guitar because he likes guitar hero, goes onto guitar hero and says... WOW that les paul looks nice, then rich kid buys £1000 les paul"

This exactly
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Do Americans sue for EVERYTHING?

corperate (sp?) america and money seekers. other than that, no.
Quote by stratele
ahh thats why

yeh well good riddance, the first 3 GH controllers were badly made and broke too easy. the new one, I think of it like a PRS is bloody solid.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
What the fuck?
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that if you give someone a license to produce your patented object, you can't turn around and sue them.
My question is, why aren't they suing all the makers of Les Paul knockoffs?
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by hendrixftw
yeh well good riddance, the first 3 GH controllers were badly made and broke too easy. the new one, I think of it like a PRS is bloody solid.

I think it's just the opposite. I never had a problem with the SG and Explorer controllers, while the PRS-ish controller has a broken strum bar (downstrokes don't work)

Quote by wtf290
why aren't they suing all the makers of Les Paul knockoffs?

They have sued a couple. That's why ESP's have a slightly different design, while in Japan they make pretty much exact replicas (Edwards, an ESP sub-brand) of Les Pauls, SGs, Teles and Strats.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
They have sued a couple. That's why ESP's have a slightly different design, while in Japan they make pretty much exact replicas (Edwards, an ESP sub-brand) of Les Pauls, SGs, Teles and Strats.

Ah, fair enough. I would have bothered me a hell of a lot more if they were suing a video game, instead of people who were actually copying their design.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by Chips-
I think it's just the opposite. I never had a problem with the SG and Explorer controllers, while the PRS-ish controller has a broken strum bar (downstrokes don't work)

Really? Well I have A GH 3 les paul controller and the buttons dont work half the time, the shake function isnt sensitive and it feels like if I drop it then it'll shatter into 1 million pieces. The new one feels much more solid and better put together.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Gibson sucks.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo