Hey guys, I'm refinishing my Gibson Les Paul Studio and was just wondering if I need to put a coat of primer down before I put the actual colors that I want down?

Thanks and God Bless!
Is is painted or does it have a natural oil finish? If its paint, then your gonna have to scuff up the old paint first, then prime it.

If its oil, then you gotta get the oil out with naphtha (Zippo lighter fluid) then prime it.
Stew mac has alot of good stuff for refinishing and also reranch. What you gotta do is read a ShI t load of tutorials, i mean read every single one 3 times. (may be not every one but most of them) You tube has many great videos on this type of thing. but ya like house was saying just get some like 200 grit sandpaper and just make it so the current finish is flat and non shinny.Prime it with duplicolor (or any other auto primer) and then get the auto paint of your choice.

BTW what color were you planing on painting it?
Quote by HartRacer86
Alright! Thanks guys!

Here is what i'm thinking about doing.

What are yall's oppinions on this design?

It'll be insanely difficult to do your first time. And you will kill all re-sale value of the Gibson. Probably should try first on a cheap no-name copy?
Well, i'm not concerned with the retail value because this guitar has a pretty scuffed up finished anyways. But this guitar will probably be with me for the rest of my life, so i'm not concerned about that. Plus, I have a small plotter here at the house that will cut the logo out in vinyll for me so hopefully all I have to do is spray it.

I'll keep you guys posted with pics as the process goes on.
I agree, but its pretty cool. it's going to really hard. I would suggest making a template of what you plan to paint and then mask it of. For my first refinish i painted a p bass. i did a Misfits skull stencil That i made from paper and taped and glued it on. i messed up a couple of times, so be careful and plan to mess up a few times.
awesome plan for the paintjob.
And, House, I don't even remember saying that... when did I? XD
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by HartRacer86
Alright! Thanks guys!

Here is what i'm thinking about doing.

What are yall's oppinions on this design?

it's kinda lame to be honest. i'm sure there are some people who might think otherwise. regardless, dont ask for opinions. it's your guitar and only you need to like it.