I seem to recall hearing that cathode biased amps do not need to be biased when replacing tubes? I'm talking about the Crate V33H in particular, if it helps. If I don't need to bias then its a real simple DIY job right?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If it's cathode biased then you cannot adjust the bias. (Without making mods to the amp).

So in a word.

Yes.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
In more than one word: yes you can but not only will it destroy the amp you will die in the process.

Haha you've got me a little concerned with sticking to the one word answer. What do you do when retubing a cathode biased? I know people do.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I just take out the old, and pop in the new. Nothing else.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I just take out the old, and pop in the new. Nothing else.

This. But make sure if you are buying power tubes you buy a matched pair or matched quad depending on how many power tubes are in there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Gotcha. Now im excited I can do a tube swap for under $100!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yes, but they also need to match the bias range of that particular amp. If you are going to order tubes tell them what amp you have and they will hook you up!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Ya I've heard I should just email the tube site and tell them what amp and what genres... basically what I'm looking to change about the amp, and they'll make some recommendations. What are some sites that are truly reliable to do this with?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
www.tubedepot.com
www.tubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com

I would recommend the top 2 firstly! Good luck

If you use tubedepot you can call and talk to them directly and you should have your tubes in a couple days. Great service from those guys. Can't recommend them enough!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Mar 3, 2009,