Currently im using a bad monkey to tighten up the OD channel n a F&C eq to boost the mids... But at really high volumes the boost on the eq pedal is very little, not loud enough to be heard even when the volume slider is maxed

Wat pedals/methods do u guys use to boost solos?
i use a maxed ds2 going into the clean channel for my boost. on turbo ii to boost mids
Chorus, distortion, volume knob on the guitar, bad horsie with volume boost etc.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Maxon OD808 and a MXR 10 band EQ.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Volume knob.

On a guitar with separate pots I might set them to use the selector as Rythm/Solo like it says on the ring.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i use a ts-9. gain fairly low (maybe 9-11 o'clock) then the volume set to above unity. so try using the bad monkey as your boost, and the F&C to tighten things up. the BM should have a mid boost anyway, being a tubescreamer clone.
If you have an FX loop try the fish n chips in the loop, should be able to provide more volume that way.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I use a BBE Boosta Grande to add some more dirt and tighten things up, and then the mid boost on my Palo.

Sometimes I'll leave the boost on, and just use the volume knob...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I prefer Xotic Boosts to boost for solos. Check 'em out, they're really great. They make clean boosts and distorted boosts, and both sound amazing.

i use a ts9 for solo boost
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
EQ pedal + Bad Monkey + Volume Pedal = Jizz in pants solo boost
Oh Hey look at my signature
I usually run my guitar's volume at 5-6 and just roll it up to 10 for leads.
I use nothing. I used to use a an OD pedal but I just started preferring the organic sound and low end it gives me without it. I also know a lot of bands who have thrown away the od pedals and went this route too. You don't really need a boost for solos honestly. If you have your mids adjust to cut (and not to the max or it'll sound like crap) then you'll be fine. Honestly I loved my bad monkey when I used to boost but it just doesn't sound as organic. Yes it tightens it up a little but you lose the organic sound and low end some. It also gives it a little bit of that distortion pedal distortion to it which I hate. I like just the tube warmth giving me distortion.
Quote by al112987

I know some people that do that but I can't stand it. I hate the sound of playing without my pickups maxed. Now I do do this if I'm playing on clean. But playing metal I can't do it. when you turn down the pickups volume you don't have as much out put and it doesn't pick up each note as well. Of course each his own. But to me it sounds best at 10 and if it's to much then lower the pickup some.
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET: Turn the Overdrive to 0, hit the Boost mode, and voila.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by al112987

I do this.
Tube Screamer TS808, or i just turn my volume up for leads.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I still don't have a good amp to play a rig through, so I don't know.

I probably won't use boosts. The music I play doesn't focus completely on solos, and the drive levels/volume levels I would use for rhythms would be fine enough for solos as well.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Most of the time I don't do anything, I use the same tone for rhythm and lead, whatever that may be at the time.
Quote by hcsn2008
I know some people that do that but I can't stand it. I hate the sound of playing without my pickups maxed. Now I do do this if I'm playing on clean. But playing metal I can't do it. when you turn down the pickups volume you don't have as much out put and it doesn't pick up each note as well. Of course each his own. But to me it sounds best at 10 and if it's to much then lower the pickup some.

It really depends on what kind of amp and pickups you're using. I don't do it to give me less volume, I do it to clean up the sound and give me a wider variety of tones.

When I roll the volume down to 3-4 it usually gives me a great clean tone that begins to break up with a heavier pick attack. At 5-6 it gives that great in between tone that is clean you pick lightly and really gets some grit when you dig in. And at no point do my pickups ever have trouble picking up notes, lose sustain or become less touch sensitive. The clean tones still maintain the harmonic overtones and 3D tone of the cranked amp. It's one of the reason why people love old single channel non-master volume amplifiers and low output pickups, because they're so responsive and player friendly. It doesn't work with metal playing because high gain amps don't clean up well, and high output pickups don't clean up well.

Lowering the pickup just kills high end and output. It does not work to clean up the sound. Using your volume controls on a guitar opens up a huge palette of sounds.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 3, 2009,
I really need to install a simple buffer or a treble bleed on my guitar, I lose tons of high end and everything gets muddy when I cut the volume on my strat. I really sucks because I have a one channel amp and it's cranked to where I don't have cleans. O well, that'll give me a project for a rainy day.
Idk how the treble bleed mods sounds on a strat but I've tried it on my LP and I hated it. I have my guitar wired '50s style now though which feels and sounds much more natural and retains high end.
It's just a small cap on the volume pot, I think on the hot lug (i'd have to look it up again) I need to try it at the least. If it doesn't work I need to try a simple buffer that runs on a 9 volt. If that doesn't work I think I'm screwed.
Quote by al112987
It really depends on what kind of amp and pickups you're using. I don't do it to give me less volume, I do it to clean up the sound and give me a wider variety of tones.

When I roll the volume down to 3-4 it usually gives me a great clean tone that begins to break up with a heavier pick attack. At 5-6 it gives that great in between tone that is clean you pick lightly and really gets some grit when you dig in. And at no point do my pickups ever have trouble picking up notes, lose sustain or become less touch sensitive. The clean tones still maintain the harmonic overtones and 3D tone of the cranked amp. It's one of the reason why people love old single channel non-master volume amplifiers and low output pickups, because they're so responsive and player friendly. It doesn't work with metal playing because high gain amps don't clean up well, and high output pickups don't clean up well.

Lowering the pickup just kills high end and output. It does not work to clean up the sound. Using your volume controls on a guitar opens up a huge palette of sounds.

Yeah but you can get that same clean sound by lowering your pickups if they are to high they start sounding muddy.
Quote by hcsn2008
Yeah but you can get that same clean sound by lowering your pickups if they are to high they start sounding muddy.

I never set my pickups that high to begin with. And you can't lower pickups on the spot. And you really don't get the same sound at all by lowering them. You get less output but its not nearly as reactive as turning down your guitar's volume. Also, you lose brightness when you lower the pickup, and you don't (if you're guitar is wired correctly) when you turn down the volume control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKOgX2rlpQ&feature=channel

That's pretty much me working the volume throughout. Never once does it get muddy or do I lose sustain.
I used to use the boost mode on my Windsor when I had that. My current (new) amp doesn't have a boost feature on it.

But I find my favorite alternative method is a tubescreamer type pedal (preferably the OD808). A mid spike and level boost certain seems to do the trick.

Now if only I HAD an OD808!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff