After a few years of putting it off (mainly because all this time I've been gathering up a good collection of Genesis and Rush), I finally went and got myself some Yes.

As is always good practice with a new band, I started with what seems to be their most popular album - 90125 - and I really like it. Hold On is easily my favourite cut, but overall it's a great little album. Jon Anderson's vox are much to my liking, too.

I've also tried Tormato but it didn't catch my ear quite as much, although it's still good stuff. So where should I go next? Did they end up making any more albums that sound like 90125, or was it just one of those 'popular' phases that they never went with?

Discuss.
Im not the biggest fan of 90125, but yeah it was a bit different than there earlier stuff (which I love) try union for another album.

Or try there best work

Relayer
Fragile
Close to the edge
The yes album
There's a big thread in classic rock which should answer any questions - check that out.

My favourites are 'Close to the Edge' and 'the Yes album', although I must admit they're one of my least favourite of the 'golden era' prog bands.
Thanks, I'll bear those in mind. Isn't Union the sole album without Anderson on vox?

Thing is, I'm really a fan of this synth-laden stuff on 90125... so I assume that the further back I delve into their discography, the synths will vanish and the guitars will be all clean & jangly. Right?

Quote by BrianApocalypse
There's a big thread in classic rock which should answer any questions - check that out.

Ah shit, so this belongs in classic rock? Soz. I automatically thought it was prog.
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 3, 2009,
Pretentious plonkers but Yessongs.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Yes is progressive rock, but so is King Crimson and Pink Floyd.. they have threads in classic rock. They should probably be moved
Quote by DaFjory
Thanks, I'll bear those in mind. Isn't Union the sole album without Anderson on vox?

Thing is, I'm really a fan of this synth-laden stuff on 90125... so I assume that the further back I delve into their discography, the synths will vanish and the guitars will be all clean & jangly. Right?

Actually, Drama is the only album without Jon on vox. He was replaced by Trevor Horn of the Buggles of all people.

As far as going back in the discography, You'll find plenty of keyboard stuff on their early albums with Rick Wakeman working the keys (who is a far more skilled player than Tony Kaye). And the guitars - well - Steve Howe just owns on the earlier stuff. Trevor Rabin on 90125 can't hold a candle to him.

Also, the reason I put the YES thread in the classic rock board is because I was always confused as to why progressive was grouped in this board with 80's and Shred. But you won't find any threads for the more recent prog bands there. I consider YES classic prog, even if they're still around today.
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)
Last edited by jcasey77 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Lurcher
Pretentious plonkers but Yessongs.

What does that even mean?
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)