There have been a lot of threads discussing BYOC pedals, but none that I could find that related directly to their quality, so here I go;

Are BYOC pedals as good as they claim? Are they really better-sounding than conventional mass-produced pedals (and even some hand-made pedals, as they claim)?

Because I love DIYing things like this, and the idea of building a higher-quality pedal for cheaper is quite relevant to my interests. Quite relevant indeed!
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Are they gonna be better than most store bought stuff, yes. Are they gonna be better than 300$ hand made pedal maybe, depends. Some of the stuff BYOC sells gonna be hard to find store bought anyways. And they use the higher quality and therefore more expensive parts a company like BOSS isnt. They also some times provide extra parts to customize the pedal. Basically your gonna get a hand built pedal for close to the cost of a store bought.
Well, it depends on how well you build it. The components are definitely not the issue with any shoddy BYOC's you see around.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
The only issue I've had with any of my BYOC pedals are limited headroom. I get clipping if I try to play bass through them of put them in an effects loop following preamp gain. I don't know much about electronics, but I'm sure that's a circuit design issue more than the quality of the parts.

I'm really satisfied with the sound quality of mine though. General Guitar Gadgets have equally good pedal kits IMO.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
The only issue I've had with any of my BYOC pedals are limited headroom. I get clipping if I try to play bass through them of put them in an effects loop following preamp gain. I don't know much about electronics, but I'm sure that's a circuit design issue more than the quality of the parts.

I'm really satisfied with the sound quality of mine though. General Guitar Gadgets have equally good pedal kits IMO.

You need to replace some resistors to hive the signal more headroom. go to the byoc page and send them a mail for the exact ones that needs to be replaced and against which.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
It really comes down to how good of a job you do, like someone said the components aren't the issue.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by dullsilver_mike

thats because the pedals arent designed for line level, only instrument level. (in most cases.)
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
thats because the pedals arent designed for line level, only instrument level. (in most cases.)

That's true, but I did modify the envelope filter for bass (per BYOC's instructions) with a resistor and cap swap, yet still get clipping. And I'm assuming (because my basses are passive and don't have that much output) that these circuits would clip with a guitar that has high output--in short, I'm guessing that they don't really even handle instrument level input for some guitars without getting a little bit of clipping. A guitar player using really overwound humbuckers or active pickups would get clipping when using some of the BYOC pedals.

You're right, that's how they're designed, I understand and accept that. I'm just saying that design is where they fall a bit short IMO.
Well I'm really intrigued at this idea; I worked in electronics for a couple of years (part time job repairing lasertag equipment ) so my technical skills should be up to par; I'm definitely going to look into this, thanks for ya'll's advice! At the very least I've stumbled into a potential hobby.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
It's really fun to make them. If I had more money and more desires for pedal I'd have a ton. Right now I'm saving up for a trem, not sure if I'm going BYOC or GGG, they both make great stuff.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
That's true, but I did modify the envelope filter for bass (per BYOC's instructions) with a resistor and cap swap, yet still get clipping. And I'm assuming (because my basses are passive and don't have that much output) that these circuits would clip with a guitar that has high output--in short, I'm guessing that they don't really even handle instrument level input for some guitars without getting a little bit of clipping. A guitar player using really overwound humbuckers or active pickups would get clipping when using some of the BYOC pedals.

You're right, that's how they're designed, I understand and accept that. I'm just saying that design is where they fall a bit short IMO.

excellent point! i was even going to ask if your pups were active.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
The BYOC stuff is all made to run off a regular 9v batt or power supply. Thats what most players have and use. Which with distortion works pretty good. With compression, chorus etc more voltage would be preferable for more headroom. But again MOST guitar players dont have 18v power supplies. Many pedals if it says 9v and you give it 12v their fried, they go with bare minimum on parts cost and lower voltage caps are cheaper. The BYOC comp I have uses 25v electrolytics so running it off 18v isnt an issue I have with mine with no problems. A bipolar power supply would help with headroom. Again most players dont have em. BYOC markets to the larger % of guitar players. The smaller crowd using 18v bipolar power supplies are probably making their own pedals from scratch. I started building with a BYOC 5 knob compressor and moved on from there to designing my own pedals, but gotta start somewhere.
Im actually in the process of building the 250+ distortion pedal. I built the confidence boost and it was pretty easy, and this is coming along pretty well, its a fun project to do and i can't wait to say when someone hears my pedal, "yeah, i built that," if you want to hear clips, there are good ones on youtube
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
just out of curiosity, isn't it possible to run many of their pedals at higher voltages?

I can't recall...

I've built a few of them, I was pleased with every one of them.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Seems like most of them you can, thats one place where they get a plus one over GGG, though, you could easily swap out the caps for high voltage ones at minimal cost.
Quote by xwearesinking
Well, it depends on how well you build it. The components are definitely not the issue with any shoddy BYOC's you see around.

This. It will really depend on how well you solder/screw/wire/etc...
The effects themselves are great, but the build will depend on you. If you are considering doing a BYOC pedal, then consider doing your own from scratch.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I'll probably start off with BYOC just to get the hang of it. And I'm planning on running all the pedals I can at 18v, it really does make a difference to me, might even be worth investing in a second power supply.

Thanks for ya'll's advice, you've got me pretty excited about the whole idea.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue