I've been thinking about getting a DSL combo to have some more options for lead and crunch stuff. I've heard some bad thinks about the speaker on this amp, but I'd be using it with a 2x12 cab with V30s. Any thoughts? How well does it deal with effects?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I'm presuming you mean the DSL401. It's a nice little amp but I'll admit I've had some false preconceptions of it in the past. First thing worth pointing out is the EL84 power stage, meaning it won't sound as much like a Marshall as a different Marshall would (although it's still definitely British voiced). Secondly, it's simply not as good as it should be. It's not bad, it's just a little unrefined and a little fussy about what you plug into it and how you set the EQ.
Tonally though I thought it was pretty damn good once I found the right tone (this amp seemed to prefer Fenders to Gibsons) and it's very versatile. Doesn't do that much for me as far as Plexi style crunch at a reasonable volume, but turn up the gain on the clean channel and crank the volume and you're away (my local music store is equipped with a wonderful soundproof testing room for when you need to turn it up.)

Try it first, along with any competition. If you're looking for a versatile british voiced amp you should also try a Peavey Classic 30, Orange Tiny Terror combo (might be worth waiting for the new Dual Terror) or a Traynor YCV something.
I had one and sold it, the thing that always pissed me off was the parallel effects loop, which made any time-based effect like flanger or delay sound really, really weird.
It was okay on it's own, but I'm sure you'd be able to find better heads for the same price if you're already going to use it with a cab.
im interested in this amp too. i would be going for the ycv50 over it but unfortunately its not available in australia.
I had one once. It sounded great in the living room. But at the gig cranked up it was really HARSH sounding... even with a 2x12 extension cab hooked up.

Turning the treble down only made it muddy sounding.

And I didn't like the parallel effects loop. You could only get 50% effects max in your signal and that's not sufficient for some effects like chorus and flanger....... or if you want to put an EQ in the loop.

I like my DSL 100 head much, much, much better!!!

And I recently got a new JCM 800 2203x head and it's a friggin' BEAST!!!!!
Last edited by dcooper830 at Mar 4, 2009,
If you have a 2x12" cab already, you could just get the DSL 50 head instead. If you tell us what styles you play, we can also recommend some other stuff.
Well as for styles: Post rock, post punk, shoegaze, and metal mostly
Bands: Brand New (Devil and God era), The Cure (Disintegration era), Interpol (Turn on the Bright Lights era), My Bloody Valentine (Loveless era), US Christmas, Devin Townsend, and Dream Theater

As for what Im looking for in an amp, I want something that is fairly inexpensive, takes effects well, and is different enough from by B52 to warrant purchase. Onboard reverb is a plus, but not really required. Im fine with bright or dark sounding, though I dont want anything too incredibly bright. I also really dont mind if its a bit muddy.

Obviously it doesnt have to cover all the bases perfectly, but one that will fit some at least pretty well will work. Ill be using a Fender HSS strat, Jazzmaster, and an Ibanez 7321 through it.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Mar 4, 2009,
The biggest issue I had with the DSL401 was the price, but not when I bought it. My experience was actually quite pleasant because I bought a brand new one a long time ago in a galaxy far far away for a mere $700. When I sold it, I got more than what I paid for it because Marshall had jacked the price up so much. There are other amps that do a better job and don't cost as much.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I like the 6505, but its really just not as versatile as I would want something to be. It would be great for Devin Townsend esque stuff, but thats really about it from that list, and the other stuff is more important. As for price range, $600-$800 or so would be ideal, but I could probably go a bit higher. Id also be buying used.
Board: