To clear up, my big amp is always kept at the studio, and im only there once a week at most, probably about once a month at the moment (upsetting i know)

Anyway, at home, where i play a lot of guitar, i dont have an amp! I'm just using a crappy old Zoom 707II with some headphones, and im tired of the dodjy output connection and having to wear earphones.

I'm thinking if i do well in my exams i might treat myself to a little something, ie. a small versitile amp

I need some reccomendations for a small amp that does a wide range of tones well, but crucially at a low low volume. I like real sweet blues and rock tone, and metal and lead tone, and have clean capabilities when required.
Should i just go for a micro cube, or is there something that's a real lil' jem? Let's leave price out of the equation for the time being, just dont give anything stupidly priced

Cheers, have fun
Get a cubeX of whatever wattage you want.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Argh I hate it when people say 'nothing stupidly priced' because 'stupid prices' are relative

Give us a very rough area.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
How much money are you willing to spend?

Look at the Blackheart Handsome Devil
i personally love the valvetronix line from vox, get the 30 watt (for some reason its tonally much better than the 15) and you can control the wattage with a dial on the back of the amp allowing you to lower the volume without losing tone. should def try em out to see if you like it!
Super Ape on vinyl changed my life.
okay, in my opinion, a stupid price for a mini practice amp would be something any more than say £300... saying that i wouldnt be happy spending that, so ill look for a used amp when i can
I saw some videos of the blackstar actually and was pleasantly suprised at how well it did so many different tones, i think a shop near me stock them too... ill for sure check that out.
How are amps like..
Valve junior
Blackheart
Harley benton GA5 (GA5H looks like 'gash' so thats epic already)
Valvebee
There really is a lot of ways to go with that. It depends on what's available used I'd say. Then get the best used value in your price range that suits what you play. A used Laney VC 30 may be in budget but that's a step above what you are considering with the vox's and cubes. Or just go cheap and get a microcube, vypyr or vox Vt.

Quote by vitchb
I saw some videos of the blackstar actually and was pleasantly suprised at how well it did so many different tones, i think a shop near me stock them too... ill for sure check that out.
How are amps like..
Valve junior
Blackheart
Harley benton GA5 (GA5H looks like 'gash' so thats epic already)
Valvebee

The VJ and Blackheart aren't very versatile without help from pedals, but good amps. Have not tried the valbee or that Ga5. I also heard good clips of a HT-5, but haven't had the chance to play one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 3, 2009,
If your pedals are fairly easy to move about and power, get a Peavey NanoValve and run them through it.
http://line6.com/products/computerbased/

line 6 pod studios are great for home practice!
I'm in the same situation as you, where my nice half stack sits at my drummers house being used once a week. I also have a roland microcube which i don't bother with anymore since the line 6 studio is fantastic.

It works as an interface with your pc, using your pc speakers or headphones. Saving space, and comes with the amp modelling software you use for practice. So you select what amp you want, and effects and your set. Easy to use, inbuilt tuner/metronome.

Added bonus being u can use it to record into cubase/logic/what ever recording suite u have at home.
Quote by vegetoe01
http://line6.com/products/computerbased/

line 6 pod studios are great for home practice!
I'm in the same situation as you, where my nice half stack sits at my drummers house being used once a week. I also have a roland microcube which i don't bother with anymore since the line 6 studio is fantastic.

It works as an interface with your pc, using your pc speakers or headphones. Saving space, and comes with the amp modelling software you use for practice. So you select what amp you want, and effects and your set. Easy to use, inbuilt tuner/metronome.

Added bonus being u can use it to record into cubase/logic/what ever recording suite u have at home.

Thats interesting... is there any problems with lag?
Quote by vitchb
Thats interesting... is there any problems with lag?

I don't experience any at all, and that's using quite an old pc. AMD 3700+ single core with 2 gig of DDR400 ram. (that was state of the art around 2006)

You shouldn't get any lag unless your using a really extremely old pc and trying to record at the same time.
Quote by GisleAune
What's the spesifications on your pc,

RAM amout?
GHz amout?

4 GB DDR2 ram
2.5 Ghz dual core

I'd be suprised if i had any problems with that, so i might give that a go actually, how is the software supplied? Anything close to the sound of real amp?
Have a look at the Ibanez Valbee, it has plenty of gain and will do blues, rock and softer metal easily. It's relatively cheap, too.

Another option is a Blackheart little giant with a good OD pedal.

If price really does not matter look at a Laney Lionheart (the 5 watt version) and an OD pedal. Lionhearts are very expensive though, 600 pounds on thomann.de:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_l5t112_lionheart.htm
It has fantastic blues, rock and clean sounds, but not nearly enough gain for metal. You'd need an OD at least and possibly an EQ pedal.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by vitchb
4 GB DDR2 ram
2.5 Ghz dual core

I'd be suprised if i had any problems with that, so i might give that a go actually, how is the software supplied? Anything close to the sound of real amp?

Gearbox/podfarm is fantastic ( the software supplied).

I was skepitcal about the sound till i heard my friend using it, and was sold on it. I've got the opportunity of using a micro cube at home if i want to, and even lugging my Engl back to my place for practicing at home if i really wanted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhPLRVEET58&feature=PlayList&p=96A508BB3398CC7C&playnext=1&index=5
http://line6.com/podfarm/sounds.html

Hope that helps
Cool, thanks. I was wondering also, could i use the POD studio with different software, we have Guitar Rig 3 at the studio and i might be able to wack a copy on my PC, will it still all intergrate together?
From a techy's point of view i can't really see how that wouldn't work, unless line 6 has specificly made them to only work with Pod farm and gearbox. It works as an external soundcard and so appears in every application that i use to output sound through it I.E cubase, heck even msn lets you use it as a mic (makes it easy for sending short guitar clips over the web to a friend).

I'm not 100% definate though.
Quote by vegetoe01
From a techy's point of view i can't really see how that wouldn't work, unless line 6 has specificly made them to only work with Pod farm and gearbox. It works as an external soundcard and so appears in every application that i use to output sound through it I.E cubase, heck even msn lets you use it as a mic (makes it easy for sending short guitar clips over the web to a friend).

I'm not 100% definate though.

Okay cool, oh yeh, if i were to use it with guitar Rig, is there any difference between the Toneport's and the POD studio?
with the toneports you normally get gearbox (a few different amp models and effects, etc), and with the pod studio you get pod farm(a pod 2/xt in software form i think)
The toneport is an older version of the studio. There the same interfaces apart from the studios are black.

The toneport came bundled with gearbox, but u can get pod farm for FREE from the line 6 monkey download software centre.

With the newer studios they come bundled with podfarm, from what i've heard u can download gearbox from line 6 monkey with the new studios anyway.

The differences between gearbox and pod farm are a few small features. Gearbox is the older software which has a difference interface and a few features like a metronome and music player inbuilt.

Pod farm is the newer software where you can use 2 guitar tones at the same time, it also is louder than gearbox, but doesnt have the metronome or music player in built. How ever Pod farm is a lot nicer looking. They both have the same amps and fx.
My main rig is a 50w JMP 1987 made in 1980. I play it through a 1960TV cab with greenbacks. I love the tone, I push it with a HBE power screamer and play both a Strat and a Les Paul. In the band I am in it is perfect. Of course for bedroom use, it usually stays literally on 0 and sounds muddy and unresponsive. When I am home alone and put the volume around 6, it sounds like a dream, warm bubbly crunch, depending where I set the pedal; with nice gain, boiling but tight. Then I put the pictures back on the wall and get my dog out from under the bed and everything is fine.

So I, like many of us that have Marshalls, decided to shop for a bedroom amp. I have been a tube lover my whole life, had played some Line 6 modeling stuff in the past and hated it. The digital, glossy, lifeless sound was the antithesis of the warm, organic sound of the amps it pretended to emulate.

So, I checked out some low watt tube amps from Vox, a Fender Blues Jr., a 15/7.5w Blackheart, some others that I don't recall. I was ready to buy the Blackheart head and cab, it sounded awesome at fairly reasonable levels, not quite 2AM volume, but certainly fine if nobody else in the house was sleeping. At lower levels it lost some of its responsiveness, but still sounded pretty decent. While still in the shop, before I actually pulled the trigger on the Blackheart, I decided to try the Fender Super Champ XD.

The clean channel actually sounded pretty decent, much warmer than any solid State amps I had played in the past. I tried some of the emulated sounds and was blown away. The "Vintage British Stack" type tone was remarkably similar to what my real Marshall sounds like. Not the beautiful "Holy Grail" sound of the real thing at volume, in its sweet spot, pushing four 12's, of course. But much better sounding than I expected, a pleasant sounding approximation that didn't have the gloss and harshness of the modeling amps I have tried in the past. And you click it over and it plays many of the emulated sounds pretty well, certainly great for bedroom playing. I bought it on the spot. Easily the best 250 bucks I have spent on gear.

It has a few decent sounding voices with a couple great sounding ones. The versatility is amazing, some of the "tweed" era sounds are really a gas to play with, as are the blackface and vintage higher gain stuff. The metal sounds are a bit lacking, not too surprising as it does only have a 10 inch speaker. It also has a decent set of built-in effects, Reverb, delay, Chorus, Tremolo and vibraphone. They are not too tweakable, but a nice basic set of different options.

I have played it at 2AM with my 2 year-old sleeping in the next room with no problems, and it sounded fine. Certainly not great at those low levels, but decent. And you can turn it up and get surprisingly good tone, responsiveness and versatility from it. It is also loud enough to play with a band, I have on numerous occasions when I don't feel like lugging my Marshall cabinet around.

There is a pretty active group of people that have modded and tweaked this amp, and many say to replace the speaker with a Eminence Ragin' Cajin. I have not bothered, as it sounds OK for my needs, but many swear by it.

Overall this is a nearly perfect practice amp, the only thing it lacks is a headphone jack.
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 9, 2009,
I have to agree, that's THE most underrated practice amp on the market.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments