Yo guys!

Here are two new riffs I recorded today.
The drums were done in AD (cubase) and the guitar was recorded with a SM57 directly into my mic input on my PC over Peavey Valveking 100.
Guitar: Jackson DKMG using EMG81 and EMG85.
Tune: Drop-B

Please rate and comment

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/In-f3st/music/all/play558146

Check out the one called Negative and The End (both riff names, not song names ).

EDIT: For some reason I can't upload the song called "The End". I'll bump the topic as soon as I am able to upload it. You can check out "Negative" in the mean time.
Last edited by In-f3st at Mar 3, 2009,
Drums on the loud side.

Guitar has no clarity or attack (probably due to you using the onboard soundcard!)
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
roflpancakes only one response xD

Still, yeah, the guitar is a bit messed up, I didn't use any EQ on the main guitar parts.
I like the drums to be loud, so that I won't take that as an argument, cause it's something that I like.
Do you have any suggestions about how to set up the mic and EQ for the guitar?
Btw, it's not an on board sound card (forgot to write it's an Audigy 1).
Last edited by In-f3st at Mar 3, 2009,
Audigy is only a small step up from a stock sound card.... despite them telling you that it is a pro studio in a box or something.

Quick listen:
Once the guitars got going, they totally overpowered the mix. It made the drums sound puny.... and the bass is non-existant. It is either being drowned out by the guitar, or masked by the excessive bass frequencies in the guitar. Puny drums = puny mix. You want aggression? Make that rhythm section kick my @ss, then bring the guitars up. As it is, it sounds like it was mixed by a guitar player. ;-)

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
yeah the instruments sounded good, it just weird.... just like he said^ it is just the way that everything sits in the mix. get sum mud out of the guitars/ bottom end 250hz muck. drumkit from hell? i love the fills in the first one. but yeah if you get the kick/bass really pummeling together you will have a nasty little mix going with a little work
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Thanks for the replies. I am a bit confused now, the first guy said that the drums are way too loud, now they are being overpowered O_o
I'll try to cut some freq on the guitar and play around a bit, lets see what happens.
As for the bass, there is none recorded.
I did this recording yesterday and I don't have a bass guitar at home.
Btw, I used addictive drums, and after FL they are more then refreshing

How can I make the drums sound more aggressive and should I compress the guitars?
Snare is too loud, cymbals too quiet.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'm not sure if making the cymbals louder will make the sound be more aggressive.
Yeah, I think that the snare is a bit to loud now that I slept over the recording.
I wanted to make the kick a bit louder, but after applying EQ to the kick it got some kind of a noise in the background that I couldn't remove...
Are you cutting or boosting frequencies?

Cut to make things sound better.

Boost to make things sound different.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'm not giving you a hard time. I'm trying to help..

You said you were getting odd amounts of noise after EQ, boosting frequencies too much is a possible explanation.

Just experiment and do loads of reading up on articles that are easy to find. The internet is full of information dude.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
By hard time I meant giving me comments that are not explanatory.
Telling me that I should cut some Freq and Boost some doesn't really help me cause I still don't know which one to cut...

I know, I read some things but I was more hoping to get a more constructive criticism.
About the boosting, I meant working in AD, cause if I want to get a sharper kick sound I have to boost "higher" freq. But as soon as I boost them even a little, it gets a weird after sound.
I was hoping if someone would know something about that.
Nobody can tell you, really, which frequencies to adjust. Every sound is different, so you have to learn to use your ear to judge.

Maybe start with a graphic equalizer or one that has a display to show the curve so you can "see" the changes that you hear.

About the kick drum.... Instead of boosting the lower frequencies, if you cut higher frequencies, the end result is basically the same, only with less noise. Then, if by cutting those frequencies, the track isn't loud enough, you can either boost the track a bit more in the mix, or turn down the other tracks. Again... the end result is the same.

About the drums - I think the first poster who said the drums were too loud was hearing the intro of the first clip. Once the rest of the guitar kicks in, the balance shifts considerably. The kick needs to come up in the mix. Let it take care of some of that bottom end. The drums have very little meat in the bottom. They sound thin.

Once you beef up that kick and get it hitting you in the chest, you might find the bottom getting crowded once you add the guitars in. They are very bottom heavy. That will be further compounded once you add bass. Solution - roll off some of that bottom end and make some room for the bass and the kick. You'd be amazed at how thin some 'heavy' guitars actually sound once you mute the bass.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.