Lovely to meet you all--I've been a lurker around here for a while now, and now that I have a problem, I've decided to register and hang around under an actual username rather than "Guest". Dispensing with the pleasantries now:

I recently bought myself a Behringer UCA202.

I did this in hopes of finding something I could plug my guitars and mics into to record on the computer. Damned unobservant of me to not notice until too late that it has RCA inputs, and no place to put a 1/4 inch cable directly in. You've probably guessed that I'm new to the recording game. I was getting bloody sick of the horrible sound the 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor gave me.

After some digging, I've found that I need a mixer or preamp to plug the guitar into, then plug the mixer or preamp into my interface, which then goes to the computer. Now, though, I'm taking no more chances, and deferring to people who are actually savvy on this sort of thing. My question is, are these what I need?

Nady MM-14FX

or

Behringer MIC100

Thanks!
I have this interface, it was my first.

Try getting an RCA to Jack adaptor. I still use this method (in conjunction with guitar rig 3) when I'm at uni and need to get some practice in and it sounds surprisingly good. I can post samples if you want them.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as nice as my 24/96 firewire rig, but it isn't terrible by anyones standards!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Anything is better than plugging into a 3.5! Thanks, mah man. Any idea if that sort of thing would be available at Radio Shack, or is an online venue the place to hunt for it?
Last edited by Wynterbite at Mar 3, 2009,
..or RCA to jack cable which IMO is just that bit more elegant!

both those pre-amp thingys will work, but you could also look at a small 8 channel mixer which would be more flexible , something like the old alesis multimx 8 usb1 would work - thats the route I'd probably go. I think behringer do something similar
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Being budget-constrained, I'm hoping to keep this as low-cost as possible (Why do you think I bought the cheapest USB interface there was? ), so now that I know you can do the adaptor thing, I'll just go with that. Think I've found something here (http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=255-055). Guess I'll also be buying a double-female 1/4 inch connector so my guitar cable can plug in.
I think Willie was on about something like this:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-RCA-Male-to-14-Female-Adapter?sku=335225

the whole stereo/ mono thing - basicly what you have there are two mono inputs or one stereo input , so seeing as the signal coming from your mic or guitar will both be mono, you can bung one signal down the right channel and tother down 't left!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by Wynterbite
Hmm...'nother question here. Does the adaptor need to be stereo (Two plugs to fit into the Left and Right RCA)? And might this be a good solution? http://www.amazon.com/Monster-CableLinks-Adapter-MCL-MMTFM/dp/B000HHNWWY/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236117626&sr=1-26

Thats not RCA, thats banana plugs (into passive speakers).

I was thinking a 6.3mm mono jack plug to 2 x RCA phono plugs. Where the stereo RCA connection gets bridged into mono to the jack. This would eliminate any problems recording in stereo and only getting signal on the right/left or whatever.

I use:

6.3mm stereo male - 3.5mm stereo female jack adapter > mono 3.5mm jack - RCA leads

The jack to RCA adapter bridges the stereo to mono.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Thanks for the help! Sorry to have led you in that other direction--I've actually decided to shell out a few extra bucks on a mixer, 'cause I might need one of those in the future, so it's as good a time as any to get it. I'll stick with a low-end for now, as I don't anticipate needing anything more than a recording device with some occasional, light-pressure live playing. Appreciate the advice, ye've been most helpful!

Last confirmation--that Nady mixer'll work with a guitar, right?

Edit: Bthaugh--silly question. Please ignore. I can just mic the amp. Don't know where my mind was
Last edited by Wynterbite at Mar 3, 2009,