I see a lot of threads saying if you don't mess with it to much the Jackson LFR is pretty good? But what if I want to mess with it a lot and divebomb a lot, should I upgrade to an OFR as soon as possible, or should i wait a year or so to see if I really need it?
it's just that I can get a discount when buying an OFR together with the guitar itself. When trying it at the shop for an hour the LFR felt and sounded pretty good, but will it stay after messing with it?
Also I want to install a tremol-no, don't know if that would have any impact ont the choiche between LFR and OFR?
████████
████████
████████
i've heard REALLY bad reviews about the LFR by Jackson ..the ones that have Jackson's Logo on them ..
they get out of tune, and they felt empty to me ..didn't get the real Floyd rose feeling.

i did a few divebombs, squeals on a Jackson warrior with LFD and the strings went wayyyy off tune.. but the sound of the guitar sounded good
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
if you can get something with a OFR go with that, if not, a Jackson LFR is not that bad.

The Tremol-no is a great thing, but its not perfect either. even if unlocked, things like dives, flutters and so on are more difficult to do to.

this is coming from the owner of a Jackson LFR and Tremol-no.

edit- if i need to i can make some videos showing my LFR doesnt go out of tune.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
if you can get something with a OFR go with that, if not, a Jackson LFR is not that bad.

The Tremol-no is a great thing, but its not perfect either. even if unlocked, things like dives, flutters and so on are more difficult to do to.

this is coming from the owner of a Jackson LFR and Tremol-no.

edit- if i need to i can make some videos showing my LFR doesnt go out of tune.

When you mean more difficult to do with the tremol no, you mean you have to add more pressure, it isn't as smooth, or what exactly?
████████
████████
████████
Quote by Skywalker007
When you mean more difficult to do with the tremol no, you mean you have to add more pressure, it isn't as smooth, or what exactly?

exactly, it isnt quite as smooth and takes a little bit more force.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
exactly, it isnt quite as smooth and takes a little bit more force.

Is it disturbing enough to remove it when not using, I'm only planning to change tuning once every 2-3 weeks and back again when a song demands, otherwise I want to use only one tuning. Or do you get used to it?
Its not only small dives I wanna do, but really insane squealing divebombs.
cuz up until now, I was certain you feel no difference, that I can install it, let it sit there and use it when I need it
████████
████████
████████
Last edited by Skywalker007 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Skywalker007
Is it disturbing enough to remove it when not using, I'm only planning to change tuning once every 2-3 weeks and back again when a song demands, otherwise I want to use only one tuning. Or do you get used to it?
Its not only small dives I wanna do, but really insane squealing divebombs.
cuz up until now, I was certain you feel no difference, that I can install it, let it sit there and use it when I need it

you'll always feel its there, it really doesnt get in the way of dives, but flutters would be a pain in the ass.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

i have a tremolno in my edge III equipped ibanez xiphos.... it doesnt alter anything for me except flutters...
and the jackson lfr sucks
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i have a tremolno in my edge III equipped ibanez xiphos.... it doesnt alter anything for me except flutters...

excuse me,
but you are a dumb ass.

i made a video, the jackson did no go out of tune at all, no matter how much i raped the bar (near the end i get rough)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPairU2Ld4&feature=channel_page
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
excuse me,
but you are a dumb ass.

i made a video, the jackson did no go out of tune at all, no matter how much i raped the bar (near the end i get rough)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPairU2Ld4&feature=channel_page

i am not a dumb ass, as you put it. the jackson lfr is FAR poorer than that of a high quality tremolo. i am in no way saying that the edge is high quality (it is not) but it is higher quality than the jackson lfr. you must have gotten lucky or something
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i am not a dumb ass, as you put it. the jackson lfr is FAR poorer than that of a high quality tremolo. i am in no way saying that the edge is high quality (it is not) but it is higher quality than the jackson lfr. you must have gotten lucky or something

i must have just got lucky or something?

you have no clue what you are talking about.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

the jackson LFR is GREAT! it is one of the best LFRs out there! it is some where inbetween the OFR and the other LFRs. prolly around the area of the Gotoh... it is a really nice trem and will stay in tune for ages...WHEN SET-UP CORRECTLY! that is the key to floyds, if they are not maintained and kared for, they will not work properly! the jackson floyds are really nice and beter than most stock floyds.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
the jackson LFR is GREAT! it is one of the best LFRs out there! it is some where inbetween the OFR and the other LFRs. prolly around the area of the Gotoh... it is a really nice trem and will stay in tune for ages...WHEN SET-UP CORRECTLY! that is the key to floyds, if they are not maintained and kared for, they will not work properly! the jackson floyds are really nice and beter than most stock floyds.

+1
thank you, someone who knows what they are talking about.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I have a Jackson DXMG with the JT580 LFR that was manufactured by Takeuchi (one of the better versions of the JT580). It's one of the better LFR's out there IMO. Once I got it set up right it stayed in tune unless I really abused it (pushing the bar nearly as far as it would go a few times). The sustain block isn't too great though, but that can be replaced. The upside is that if it wears out or you decide you want an OFR, they're completely interchangeable.

You can identify which LFR it is here:
http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
They're not bad. They still have nothing on OFR's though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by hochhaul

You can identify which LFR it is here:
http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

According to this site and others, an OFR might take up to much room when tuned to Drop D, IS this true or can I be safe it'll fit perfectly (in drop d) when the original is an jt-580lp. according to the site quoted, it might fit, but not always, when intonating it could run out of space?
Also I read it would be better to have an OFR with a 32 block, but according to the original website, the default size is 37. Can anyone recommend European online-shops (or sites that ship to here at a reasonable price) that might sell 32 blocks separately or OFR's with 32mm blocks?

the only thing holding me back of buying an OFR is the fact that I might buy it for 200 and not having it fit, or not having enough room for drop d, or not being able to pull up as much as with the original. If anyone still checks this thread, help would really be appreciated, cuz my father won't let me buy it (with him paying half ) when it's not 100% certain an OFR will work better
████████
████████
████████
Quote by Holy-Diver

What a load of crap. Edge III is of a poor qiuality, and knife edges will be blunt within 12 months with regular use!

The Jackson LFR is a solid trem. I would stear clear of the chrome ones and older versions, but the black JT580 & JT580LP are good units.....
I had Jackson LFRs in both my guitars before I upgraded. They never went out of tune, it was more of a smoothness thing that made me upgrade to OFRs. I think that they're a decent solid tremolo.
I have a DKM2 with at LFR. It never goes out of tune.
IMO they are the best LFR's on the market.
Thanks for the input! I'll stick to the LFR and upgrade to the OFR only when it has worn out, thanks all!
████████
████████
████████
the lack of intelligence astounds me
i never EVER said the edge III was good, at all. it feels better than the jackson lfr, but will definitely wear out and turn to complete sh*t. the jackson lfr feels like a complete load of sh*t, but it stays in tune decently.
anyways, german floyds rape either of these, equaled by schaller lfrs, and followed closely by the high quality edges.

edit: MY OPINION
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by bartdevil_metal
What are you basing that opinion on?

playing a number of jackson lfrs, my other guitarist has a dinky with one... and i have played several more than that.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinon, I just didn't want the answer to be "I played one in a store, once".

We'll have to agree to disagree because I used Jackson LFRs for years before upgrading, and never had any problems.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinon, I just didn't want the answer to be "I played one in a store, once".

We'll have to agree to disagree because I used Jackson LFRs for years before upgrading, and never had any problems.

i believe it. just like i believe that the edge is good sometimes.... i just never had a good experience with one
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
whoa now, watch what you say man! now i know your talking about the edge 3 but the origiinal edges are said to be some of the most stable trems ever. though ive never had the honor to play one for more than a few minutes . the edge pro's are awsome too!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
whoa now, watch what you say man! now i know your talking about the edge 3 but the origiinal edges are said to be some of the most stable trems ever. though ive never had the honor to play one for more than a few minutes . the edge pro's are awsome too!

i know, i meant the III. i believe i stated the quality of the edge original and pro earlier in this forum
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
The Jackson LFR is not bad at all. I've had my guitar for a couple of years and I havent any trouble with. The only thing about the LFR or a floating tremelo in general is that you have to know how to manage them, they can be difficult at times, if you don't know much about them. Thats when they tend to go out of tune.
I have a Jackson DKMG Dinky and the LFR never goes out of tune and i mostly play metal and when i use it i beat the **** out of it divebomb more then dimebag
Equipment

Guitar
- Jackson DKMG DINKY(EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez S5470 Prestige(Air Classic/FS-1/D sonic)

Amp
- Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
My LFR on my RR3 never goes out of tune, and I **** it up so bad.

It's really stiff though, so I can't do those weird trills or whatever where you pull the trem bar up and release it quickly.
anyone know what size nut screw and locking block for the nut is needed for the JT580 LP? my dkmg just came without one, but i can't complain. i got it for 700$ and a free case. suck it musiciansfriend.
Holy-Diverthat mesa amp is god that being said I just picked up a Kelly k3 and it has the Jackson j580lp and it seems okay but I haven't put it to the knife yet but will and then I will coment on it further im a tech repairman and builder but I will say this it has a very light touch fluid movement I have set up at least 10,000floyds toured bla bla bla but not for eddie ha ha but I would have to say aftermarket wise this one seems cool time will tell it easy to give something a fast count . because of shity set up lose truss rod or even lose neck bolts will throw you out of tune I am 80s tech and I know what I am talking about for shure we will see but the original Floyd speaks for itself