Ok I know what a chord is, but I have not figured out what an OPEN CHORD is. What is an OPEN CHORD?
A chord played in the first three frets that uses open strings. C A G E and D are the basic open triads.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
A chord played in the first three frets that uses open strings. C A G E and D are the basic open triads.

there are "open" chords all over the fret board...some sound great and some do not...but they are "open"

but as a loose definition...if there are several open strings in a chord it can be called open

play well

wolf
Yeah I know there are chords all over the neck that use open strings and you could call them all open chords. What I gave was geared toward the most common meaning not a strict definition

Usually if someone says Bob plays the song using open G D and A chords they mean exactly what I said.

Similarly if a student asked their teacher to show them an open E chord they should be shown this:

as opposed to this:

Even though they are both technically "open" E major chords when someone refers to an open E chord they are usually referring to the chord with the first fingering.

But whatever, like anything as the words you use communicate the idea properly to the other person it's all good.
Si