Is there a big difference between designated tone-wood and random wood?

Like, would the difference between a designated guitar body-blank in mahogany and a random piece of mahogany from an old table/bought in random woodstore/found in a shed/etc be big?

Im asking this because Im looking to start my first guitar build and my dad can probably fetch me some woods of different kinds from various places for free, so I wanna know if I should use this wood, or just go ahead and use the 90£ on designated tone-wood

Any advice is appreciated!
Nope not really

a body blank will usually come large enough for one body, be 2" or less thick, be planed on both sides, dry and may be free of knots and other defects.

as far as the actual wood goes 'tone wood' is just a word used to put prices up.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Nope not really

a body blank will usually come large enough for one body, be 2" or less thick, be planed on both sides, dry and may be free of knots and other defects.

as far as the actual wood goes 'tone wood' is just a word used to put prices up.

That's true, and it removes a bit of work from the building process.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
see if you can find an old church seats ther made from solid mohog usualy pluss it will be OLD and the wood will have been properly seasond

pluss having your guitar blessed by "god" HAAH will make your rockin more UNHOLEY MUHAHAH

peace bro
Quote by stuartstratford
see if you can find an old church seats ther made from solid mohog usualy pluss it will be OLD and the wood will have been properly seasond

pluss having your guitar blessed by "god" HAAH will make your rockin more UNHOLEY MUHAHAH

peace bro

hehe and polished by the butts of sinners!

Blaze on!
Wood? I have so much wood right now I could be a forest.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65