Im not sure if im calling it by the right name but whats the difference if you take off the string post/tree on the headstock. my guitar headstocks isnt angled if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help.
Guitar(s)
1988 Charvel Model 3

Amp(s)
Fender Deluxe 112

Pedal(s)
Boss DS-1
Digitech Tube
i assume your talking about the tree on a strat type guitar. The whole purpose of the tree is to keep the strings inline so I would just lead it alone if I were you.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
It also keeps tension on the strings, keeping up sustain... Take them off and you'd get like half the sustain

EDIT: I know, absent mind, don't worry...

I actually don't like to use the string trees... I don't do much bending and almost never use the tremolo, and to me at least it feels easier to press on the strings... Maybe it's a placebo effect, but as long as I don't know that, it'll stay true
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Last edited by Coolcat13 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Coolcat13
It also keeps tension on the strings, keeping up sustain... Take them off and you'd get like half the sustain
lmao

String trees angle the string downwards over the nut, because on non angled peg heads the tuner post sits too high and if the tree wasnt there, the string would come out of its nut slot easily during playing.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man