I am currently saving up for a new amp, and it appears that that my main choices will be between a used Ultra/XXX or a new 6505+ 112. I mostly play metal, but versitality is a big plus. The kind of distortion I am looking for is in the vein of Lamb of God or Opeth. Right now I am leaning towards the 6505+, and I have a few concerns, the first of which is the issue of the infamous 5150/6505 cleans, although the 6505+ is supposed to have better cleans, I am still weary about it, because cleans are a very important part of my sound. The next concern is about the leads on the 6505+, I have heard that they are buzzy, and I cannot stand a buzzy lead sound, so if anyone can confirm or deny that, that would be great. Finally could someone please help me decide which would be better for me or could suggest another amp between $500 and $700. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Does anyone have a specific date for the new 6505+, I know it is supposed to come out in Q2 of 2009, but a more specific date will be helpful.
Last edited by G-man05 at Mar 3, 2009,
i am gonna say xxx
versatile + brootalz
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
ah yes, the classic 6505 vs XXX. the 6505+ has useable cleans, and a guess yes the lead sound is a bit fizzy, but this is pretty much something that must be decided to first hand experience. i hate to break it to you, but if you really want to know which one's best for you, youll have to ask your nearest store and see if they can get in a XXX or 3120 for you to compare. a plus with getting an ultra is that you can find the head for under 300 bucks, meaning you could afford a cabinet that you would probably stick with forever
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
go with the XXX. I have it and the lead is awesome when you turn it on it just demands respect, the clean is crystal clear, and the crunch setting can add a whole other sound to your music I love it, I don't see myself buying another head for a very long time. My friend has the 6505+ and he loves it but i had heard the fuzzy kind of sound you were talking about. I wanted a cleaner lead distortion (if that makes any sense) so I decided to go with the XXX. Either way you can't go wrong with a peavey like these two. Peavey knows their ****, you will not be dissapointed with either.

but as the guy above me said, dont buy anything based off of internet reviews, go to the store, try them both out, and figure it out there. That is the best way to buy an amp.
Gear:
Squire Showmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss DD-7 delay
Boss TU-2 chromatic tuner
Roland Cube 30
Peavey XXX half stack
Last edited by Jimbojones1135 at Mar 3, 2009,
heres how it is. the 6505 is gonna sound like sh*t if you dont have it re biased. thats the undeniable truth. the factory bias is fvckin cold. if that happens, it is not that fizzy, it has margin cleans, and a beast gain channel. my experience with the xxx is that it has good cleans (especially for a high gainer) and its crunch channel is pretty phenomenal for 80s metal/ metal/ rock/ anything with gain. and to me, the ultra is similar to the 6505s lead (actually i like the xxx better)
also, the 3120 = exactly the same as xxx
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Thanks for the help guys, the primary reason why I asked UG for help, was that in order to test the XXX and 5150, I was going to have to my mommy drive me 40 miles to the nearest place that has both so I can compare them both side to side with my LP, but it looks like that is going to be unavoidable.

Oh and what have you guys heard about the Tech 21 Sansamp character pedals, I have been looking at the California pedal, and I might get that if I don't get enough money for a new amp and if it is worth $150.
6505+ has good enough cleans for that stuff.

Imo, the better cleans of the XXX are not proportionate to the screaming distortion of the 6505.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
if you dont have enough money for an amp, just save it. you will be a happy man with a xxx or 6505. just my opinion

edit: you dont like the lead on the xxx?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Last edited by Holy-Diver at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Holy-Diver
if you dont have enough money for an amp, just save it. you will be a happy man with a xxx or 6505. just my opinion

I have been, and I have around $500 right now; I am supposed to get some more money for my 16th birthday on monday, and the money I am going to get is intended to go towards a car, but an amp is simply just more important right now, but IO just don't know how much I will get, so I am just trying to weigh all of my options before I make a purchase.
dude that is almost enough... where do you live?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
dude that is almost enough... where do you live?

Indiana, specifically Bloomington
oh yeah.... i almost forgot lolol well.... it would still be sweet! haha
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
oh yeah.... i almost forgot lolol well.... it would still be sweet! haha

Thanks for the help, I'll try to convince my mom to maybe let me buy it, if the guy hasn't already sold it that is.
Quote by G-man05
I have been, and I have around $500 right now; I am supposed to get some more money for my 16th birthday on monday, and the money I am going to get is intended to go towards a car, but an amp is simply just more important right now, but IO just don't know how much I will get, so I am just trying to weigh all of my options before I make a purchase.

How in the world is an amp more important than a car?
having a car kinda sucks more money than an amp
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
having a car kinda sucks more money than an amp

A new amp is useful for playing guitar.

A car is useful for everything else in life.

Yeah, a car cost more money, but there is no way you can convince me that having an amp is more important than having a car. Do you own a car? Can you honestly say that if push came to shove and you had to either get rid of your car or amp, that you'd get rid of your car?
no thats not what im saying. im just saying if i was 16 (i had no car) i would get an amp
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION