The tab says its a Bb http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/john_mayer/say_ver3_tab.htm

But mayer doesn't play it like the barre chord shown in the tab (688766). I know mayer uses his thumb on the low E but it still doesn't look like 688766 from the pic. Slash chord maybe?

oh and does anyone know for a FACT what kind of instrument (guitar+capo,uke,mandolin) the intro is played on?

this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Last edited by mlfarrell at Mar 3, 2009,
Looks like he plays:

e|---6----|
B|---6----|
G|---7----|
D|---x----|
A|---8----|
E|---6----|
Last edited by deHufter at Mar 3, 2009,
Yea, he does the same thing on the F chord. its like a C shape almost...

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Lol he plays triads from what I can hear. The chord is right, voicing...well non included

Try these voicings for the 4 chords and use the notes int he brackets if you feel it's not full sounding enough:

And the Bb flat triad how I put it is definitely what he plays;

Bb chord;

e| -----------------------
B| 6th fret = index
G| 7th fret = middle
D| 8th fret = ring (or pinky if you include the "bracket" note
A| 8th fret = ring (bracket note)
E|------------------------

Bb Ebsus4 Gm   F  
e|------------------------|
B|----6----6----3----1----|
G|----7----8----3----2----|
D|----8----8----5----3----|
A|---(8)--(6)--(5)--(3)---|
E|------------------------|

He plays his songs differently acoustic. I can imagine he'd go for barre chords on solo acoustic to make up for not having the backing band (he's a good enough musician to easily do this and in fact does this on stuff I heard from him).

But with the band he probably doesn't cause production wise it would take up to much room in the sound spectrum to include full chords (if you have understanding of production and recording acoustic guitars, you will understand)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Lol he plays triads from what I can hear. The chord is right, voicing...well non included

Try these voicings for the 4 chords and use the notes int he brackets if you feel it's not full sounding enough:

And the Bb flat triad how I put it is definitely what he plays;

Bb chord;

e| -----------------------
B| 6th fret = index
G| 7th fret = middle
D| 8th fret = ring (or pinky if you include the "bracket" note
A| 8th fret = ring
E|------------------------

Bb Ebsus4 Gm F
e|------------------------|
B|----6----6----3----1----|
G|----7----8----3----2----|
D|----8----8----5----3----|
A|---(8)--(6)--(5)--(3)---|
E|------------------------|

He plays his songs differently acoustic. I can imagine he'd go for barre chords on solo acoustic to make up for not having the backing band (he's a good enough musician to easily do this and in fact does this on stuff I heard from him).

But with the band he probably doesn't cause production wise it would take up to much room to include full chords.

thanks dude. my acoustic isn't with me; i'm away on business . I brought my ukulele, but I'm really starting to hate that thing. its too damn small to play anything on lol

EDIT: oh and on the second chord, he seems to go UP the neck in the video, but maybe thats just me. I can definitely hear the suspended sound in there (I'm getting better lol)

vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0z86LmXBM

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Last edited by mlfarrell at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by mlfarrell
thanks dude. my acoustic isn't with me; i'm away on business . I brought my ukulele, but I'm really starting to hate that thing. its too damn small to play anything on lol

lolz I understand.

I have a theory on the tab, since I just watched a live version of mayer playing it solo acoustic and he plays barre, but on the record the guitar is playing triads, cause you can hear it doesn't really cut tru.

the bracket notes are 5ths (except for the 2nd chord where it's the root) which are harmonically useless and clutter the sound most of the time and the roots are played on bass.

Typical to play like that for someone who is musically educated, and since Mayer went to Berklee

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 3, 2009,