right i have got some money and i know that i want a Line 6 Spider 3 amp and a boss metal core pedal.
but for a guitar i am kind of stuck. I was looking at jacksons esp ibanez and thousands more. But i have no idea what to get.
Any suggestions?
my music influences are:
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Children Of Bodom
Lacuna Coil
Machine Head
Fly Leaf
Alexisonfire
the Beatles xD

any help would be appreciated
Whats your budget?

Also for a metal/all round guitar you cant really go wrong with a LTD in the 400 series or higher, or a jackson in the pro series or higher

EDIT: Unless you really need one try and stay away from floating trems. There alot of hassle, especially judgeing from your music taste witch uses alot of differant tunings
Last edited by [I Buy Peace] at Mar 3, 2009,
I agree with the above user, stay away from the whole Floyd Rose concept.

As for guitar, any Jackson, ESP, Ibanez... will do.

And one last thing, never use a pedal with a Modeling Amp (such as the Line 6 Spider III). Sounds like crap.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Quote by Joe_ayr
right i have got some money and i know that i want a Line 6 Spider 3 amp and a boss metal core pedal.
but for a guitar i am kind of stuck. I was looking at jacksons esp ibanez and thousands more. But i have no idea what to get.
Any suggestions?
my music influences are:
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Children Of Bodom
Lacuna Coil
Machine Head
Fly Leaf
Alexisonfire
the Beatles xD

NO YOU DO NOT WANT A LINE 6 SPIDER III!!! YOU DO NOT!

There are so many better amps in that price range, the best of them being a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr do not under any circumstances by a Spider III, don't!

what's your budget?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Seriously, why do so many people by those amps? How do they not pick up on the flaws or the constant berating we do here on them (noticing the TS's join date is a year ago)?

Really, avoid the amp, I'm sure it looks cool and everything but please avoid it, it is terrible quality.

As for a guitar, I would aim for an ESP, or maybe an Ibanez.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
You say you've looked at guitars...have you tried any out? I'd say go to a decent sized store and try out as many as you can. Doesn't matter if you can't play yet - just have a noodle and see which feels most comfortable. Try out some amps too, to get an idea of how different they sound, then if you still want a Spider great - you'll have made an informed decision based on how it sounds.
^No.

Look at a better amp primarily.

But I'd recommend an HSS strat. It has a bridge humbucker, which should do most metal, and the single-coils for lighter stuff and cleans.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by VanTheKraut

There are so many better amps in that price range, the best of them being a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr do not under any circumstances by a Spider III, don't!

what's your budget?

Err, you cannot objectively state that Cubes and Vypyrs are the "best."
For one thing, tone is completely subjective by nature. Secondly, you have made a crucial ommision in the form of the Vox VT series, which pip the rest of the market to the post IMO.
But I agree, the Spider III is a horrible amplifier.

TS we need to know your budget, but to start with I would establish a few important points.

I personally think low end Deans and BC Riches are trash.
You don't need high output pickups in your guitar until you have a tube amp and are playing it very loud. Also worth noting that you won't need replacement pickups in your guitar until you have a nice amp.
A floating trem is both hellish to set up, boring to tune and restring, and very difficult to downtune. The former two are problems that will be an irritation to most fledgling guitarists, the latter will couse you problems trying to sound like some of the bands you listed. Low end ones tend to be trash anyway, so I'd try to avoid.

To be honest I would reccomend anything well-branded within those constraints within your price range.

Edit: You had best know the infamous "trifecta of shit amps" before you make any mistakes.
The unholy trinity consists of...
LINE 6 SPIDER III
Tones sound sterile and digital, and while it has a multitude of amp models only 2 or 3 of them are any good.
MARSHALL MG
Sounds cheap and awful, no Marshall tone, not very versatile, and is not actually a Marshall (it's a rebranded Korean cheapy amp)
FENDER FRONTMAN
Awful at high gain levels or any form of overdrive really. Cleans are alright though.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by steve1719
buy a marshall mg15dfx.... ;-]

Obvious troll is obvious.
ಠ_ಠ
the spider isnt bad for metal, it sounds a little digital but has more than enough distortion for your tatses, but buy an ibanez rg series, they are hot, i have 11's on mine and the crunch is as thick as rebar
~Defiant~
Quote by VanTheKraut

what's your budget?

this + infinity. also look at Vox along with the cube and vypyrs
right first things first
my buget is from 400 to 700 pound cose am british that way.
i have tried out the jackson RR3 and i liked the feel of it alot
I also tried out some Esps but i cant remember what series.
The Spider 3 is definately not gettin bought if this many people say it is bad.
i will be heading up to glasgow soon to try out more guitars.
but any more advice on the information given would be helpful thanks alot
Quote by Joe_ayr
right first things first
my buget is from 400 to 700 pound cose am british that way.
i have tried out the jackson RR3 and i liked the feel of it alot
I also tried out some Esps but i cant remember what series.
The Spider 3 is definately not gettin bought if this many people say it is bad.
i will be heading up to glasgow soon to try out more guitars.
but any more advice on the information given would be helpful thanks alot

Your budget is excellent, as that's around about the point guitars start getting good.
I suggest a hardtail Ibanez RG without EMGs (EMGs, while perfectly good when used properly, will sould awful through any low end solid state/modeller). You should also consider a Vintage or Gordon Smith Les Paul or SG copy (Vintage are far more consistent, but a good GS is better than a good Vintage). The Epiphones aren't brilliant value over here in Blighty, half because of the state of the pound and half because of the "Gibson" written on the truss rod cover. If you want a trem without the double locking hassle (at the expense of tuning stability) try the Ibanez SA series or of course a good old Mexican made Fender Strat (HSS for your needs).
Those are my initial suggestions. Try each one and come to your own decision; the guitars listed there are quite different, so if you try one and like it then start trying various similar guitars until you come to a conclusion.

Oh, and it will still be worth trying out the Spider III; tone is too subjective to just take peoples' words on.
Do NOT get the Line 6 Spider 3. Don't make the same mistake I did. =(

For the music you like, you should go for an Ibanez RG. (Watch out for the Floating bridges, unless you know what you're doing.)
Gear:
*Mexican Strat with JB pickup
*Focus by Krame with Invader pickup
*Peavey ValveKing 100 half stack
[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9028/forumsigzz4.jpg[/img]
if anyone still reads or cares lol
i got a jackson dk2 and i am gettin a crate half stack for 250 which sounds beautiful
Quote by Joe_ayr
right i have got some money and i know that i want a Line 6 Spider 3 amp

One of the dumbest things a UGer has said... EVER.

Good decision going with the crate, and I envy you for having that Jackson.
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
Quote by LTD-F-250
man i got a ltd f-250 which is awesome and sounds greast with youre amp

You have an LTD f-250? No way, LTD-F-250! That is SO unlike you!

Nice guitar. What model of Crate is it?
lol at the PRS copy, but he already bought his amp and guitar XD

also nice purchase, but I'm not so sure on the SolidState crate halfstack.. oh well, it'll undoubtedly be better than the line 6, plus if you're happy with it then it's ok.

but I do dare ask... why do you need a half-stack? =/
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by steve1719
buy a marshall mg15dfx.... ;-]

i see wha you did there...
srsly that amp sucks
It is not to nag on you for your taste, but be sure that you choose amp and pedal purchases, are done based on what you actually THINK of them, and not what you have been told by the "Cool kids", store employers, or whatever.

Since i, and many other people i know, have found Line 6 Spider 3, and the Metal-Core pedal to be very VERY horrible soundwise, even though they are probably the most sold wares.

Just be sure to try'em out, to make sure that you really like it, because both Line 6 spiders and the Metal-core p.. You know what? I am thinking of the Metal-ZONE pedal. xD Meh..

Then just the amp. Be sure to try it out, and go into depth with it, before buying it - since in more experienced circles, the Line Six Spiders are known for having a very non-organic and dare i say it? Muddy sound.

It might be a question of taste, but just warning you, since many people purchase those amps, simply because they've been "Dragged down their heads" ( That's the right expression?xD)

And for the Guitar, i'd say, as mentioned above several times aswell, an ESP LTD guitar in the 400(Or over) series. VERY good guitars for the price. In fact i use one myself =D If not, Jackson makes some decent guitars for around the same price, that will suit your musical needs.

Nonetheless - i wish you good luck on your search.. I tell you. Nothing is better than getting your first 1000-dollar guitar, and plugging it into your first fairly big amp! xD I promise you, you're going to think it sounds so cool, that you ain't getting much done the first couple of weeks, except for adoring it's sound:p

See ya later, alligator.

(Oh yes, i am happy today =D )
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
ok answring the half stack question becsuse it was cheap and sounded awesome and my guitarists in my band can use it lol
Quote by Joe_ayr
Any suggestions?
my music influences are:
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Children Of Bodom
Lacuna Coil
Machine Head
Fly Leaf
Alexisonfire
the Beatles xD

From personal experience, I can tell you that the Spider 3 is not a particularly good buy. My brother has a pretty cheap Crate that sounds much better than my Line 6 unless I'm on Insane settings. As it is, there are a number of better amps out there in that same price range.