in what way does the scale of the guitar influence the sound an playability?

I'm asking because I'm interested in getting an extended range guitar, a 7 or 8 string (haven't decided yet), but from reading on other forums like the sevenstring forum it seems that for an ERG to be decent it has to have a longer scale.
How true is this?
what would a decent scale for a 7/8 string be?
I'm tending more towards a 7-string, because I don't think that the 8-string guitars on the market are fully developed yet.
Ok, both 7 and 8 string basically allow you to get lower without losing the upper range of the instrument. They both come in various scale lengths, all based on the manufacturer.

ERG = Extended range guitar: Has more notes (range) than a conventional 6 string guitar

A longer scale will provide a greater distance for the string to go between the nut and bridge, increasing tension and providing a clearer tone when compaired to the same string gauge on a shorter scale. Longer scales are generally seen as an essential tool when detuning, it helps you use lighter string gauges but still retain enough tension to sound good.

Hypothetically speaking if you used a 62 gauge string for the low B on a 25.5 scale for example, on a baritone (i.e 27 inch usually) you could get the same level of clarity with something like a 56 gauge string, or thereabouts.

8 strings ideally need to be about a 27 inch scale for the F# to intonate properly and at least sound good.

What type of tunings are you interested in?

I hope that helps a little bit, just say if you need something re-illiterating
Last edited by hmmm_de_hum at Mar 3, 2009,
normal, standard tunings, I want to get an ERG but not detune it.

I was reading about the RG 2228, but i've heard people say that even on that guitar the F sharp string doesn't really cut it. if there aren't any decent 8-strings on the market, then I'll stick with a 7-string, but unfortunately i cant try any for myself, because the guitar store in my area requires a partial payment of 5% to order an instrument that is not in stock, which in the case of the 2228 would be around 75 euros, which is waaay too much to pay just to try a guitar.

but even with a 7-string, does the scale matter, or can I just get any guitar and supply thicker strings if it's too loose?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 3, 2009,
Yeah the stock strings on the RG8 dont help at all with the tuning, a 76 or so is about average for it to sound half decent, well thats at least what i use on my 27" scale 8 anyway.

Most people buy baritone 7's for standard tuning because they dont get along with heavier string gauges really, you can compensate for that on a regular scale by getting heavier strings like you said, it's really up to you at the end of the day.

There is the option of the Agile Intrepid model, but without either playing a 7 or 8 beforehand it is always a risky venture, but i would say that they are the cheapest 8 availible on the market.

I would say that as a first 7 you should really fret too much about the scale length etc, until you know what you prefer anyway. Any 7 will sound fine at B standard with the right gauge strings really.
Last edited by hmmm_de_hum at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Yeah the stock strings on the RG8 dont help at all with the tuning, a 76 or so is about average for it to sound half decent, well thats at least what i use on my 27" scale 8 anyway.

Most people buy baritone 7's for standard tuning because they dont get along with heavier string gauges really, you can compensate for that on a regular scale by getting heavier strings like you said, it's really up to you at the end of the day.

There is the option of the Agile Intrepid model, but without either playing a 7 or 8 beforehand it is always a risky venture, but i would say that they are the cheapest 8 availible on the market.

yeah, I read about them on the 7string forums, but seriously, I would never dish out several hundred dollars for a guitar I've never played, no matter how awesome other people say they are.
as far as seven strings go, I was looking into the Ibanez Apex2 or the Viper 407 from LTD, but I'd like to hear other people's experience with them before I put down money to order them to try out.
I personally dont have any experience with the Viper, but the Apex 2 i played was a very well built guitar, simplistic guitar, brutal pickups and a mahogany body rather than basswood. Sounds killer, but i have a personal vendetta against signature guitars unfortunately, but thats just me i guess.

You've asked around in the legion haven't you, some of the guys in there should be able to help you more than i can by myself
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
I personally dont have any experience with the Viper, but the Apex 2 i played was a very well built guitar, simplistic guitar, brutal pickups and a mahogany body rather than basswood. Sounds killer, but i have a personal vendetta against signature guitars unfortunately, but thats just me i guess.

You've asked around in the legion haven't you, some of the guys in there should be able to help you more than i can by myself

I've asked several times, both in my own threads and in the Legion threads, as well as on other forums.

I gather tons of information and try to gather my own opinion out of them

anyway, I think I'll go for the Apex2, because it has passive pickups, the mahogany body, and no tremolo. The payment for the order wouldn't be that much, either, it's only around 30 bucks, which is acceptable.