Bloody Hell!...

Seriously, I have improved loads on the guitar etc..

But it is only when you (I) start recording potential final cuts as a solo etc... that you realize how much finesse is required...it is seriously perfectionist in my opinion.

I love record, but it is a royal pain in the a*s sometimes.....!!!!!!

Thoughts?
perfectionism in the studio is something everyone strives for.
But a mistake here and there can just be ignored if the mood of the solo stays the same; just listen to Jimmy Page on Heartbreaker and Dazed and Confused.
Stevie Ray vaughn made mistakes on his recordings, too.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
I agree. Every time I sit in a studio I realize how much I really suck.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Surely it should inspire you to truly perfect your technique then, every time i go for recording i find a particular aspect of my playing that doesnt sound good when applied to a recording, its just a good way to iron out the creases basically.
im with you man.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
I make my own recordings at home. I am a pretty decent guitar player, but when I actually sit and try to play a composition (in perfect time and with a click track) I just suck, really bad. Its disturbing how different playing from day to day, or even a show is in comparison to recording. Its basically a science.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Look at it this way when you're complaining about being in the studio - You could always not be in the studio.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I agree with both of you entirely.

but the jimmy page and SRV are blues, and that has elements of free form and roughness.

I know eruption is a rough cut and there are 'mistakes' as eddie says. But I am looking for a clean cut studio solo.

Perfect bends and good vibrato and timing. It is so hard to get a 100% good take.
I hate the OCD fits that recording induces in me,but when it's all said and done I have a list of practice goals that I get to work on so I guess it's all good.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Ulalume
I make my own recordings at home. I am a pretty decent guitar player, but when I actually sit and try to play a composition (in perfect time and with a click track) I just suck, really bad. Its disturbing how different playing from day to day, or even a show is in comparison to recording. Its basically a science.

Yes, I have this feeling also.

I think I am getting a lot better and I can play a lot of styles and stuff.
I think my technique is good.

But then the studio seems to expose and intensify the imperfections
I hear ya, man. recording solos in the studio really shows you where your limits are.
My band once recorded a song at normal tempo, but when it came to recording the solo we found out that I wasn't fast enough to play perfectly in time, which led to a 3 week pause in recording, during which I practiced my ass off to get fast enough to record perfectly.
Quote by SuperJoop
Yes, I have this feeling also.

I think I am getting a lot better and I can play a lot of styles and stuff.
I think my technique is good.

But then the studio seems to expose and intensify the imperfections

I think a lot of it has to do with your mindset going in to the recording session.You know that this will be recorded and you want it to be as perfect as possible,so your mind and ear are tuned into the little inconsistencies and nuances of your playing a lot more then they would be at say practice or a gig.At least that's what always happens with me when I'm recording something.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I always record riff by riff, I used to do whole song takes and (being a perfectionist) would make a mistake towards the end and delete the whole take and start over
ohai little sig.
i find that generally if you haven't written it out beforehand, it's all in the first take.
even if it's not the perfect take, and you don't end up using it, it should offer up a few indications of the direction where you want to take things. I almost always hear a lick or two in my first take that i think are perfect and that i can use to determine the way i want that solo to sound.
Quote by Demonikk
I always record riff by riff, I used to do whole song takes and (being a perfectionist) would make a mistake towards the end and delete the whole take and start over

That's what I do. To me, if I can't play a song front to back, I shouldn't be playing it at all. Especially live.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
That's what I do. To me, if I can't play a song front to back, I shouldn't be playing it at all. Especially live.

I have the same sort of mentality but most of the songs I write are pretty long and technical so it's easier to do a few riffs at a time instead of several 7-minutes takes
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
I have the same sort of mentality but most of the songs I write are pretty long and technical so it's easier to do a few riffs at a time instead of several 7-minutes takes

In the end it comes out to the same amount of work - whether you piece it together in small pieces and learn it all front to back afterwards, or learn it front to back first then record it as a whole - work is = in the end.

Just preference IMO.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I've also found I play too... by the book in recording. I have to remind myself to actually feel the music and play with passion. I get too concerned with playing right I forget to really PLAY my guitar.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
You can either be a perfectionist or you can use pro-tools.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I hate the studio aswell, I can play all my stuff perfectly live but for some reason when I record, I end up dropping a note or stuffing up a run halfway through.

I always play from start to finish aswell, no piecing it together so I use alot of my time but it's so satisfying in the end.