i don't know what people are doing to get the finishes to crack, but it must be a bit ridiculous. I've had my electromatic for nearly two years and the finish is fine, so I'd say get that guitar (though I prefer the one with a tail piece), get it setup and maybe through some new pickups in (p90's drop right in) and you'll have a great guitar.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
I have the non-bigsy version of that guitar, Its a pretty good guitar, though I'd recomend swapping the pups (theyre pretty week). It is rather heavy though, so I'd avoid long times playing stood up.

It was very good for bluesy/crunch tones, but found it lacking for heavier songs, which is why i got my jackson. The neck is pretty good, very easy to move around, and the guitar is as solid as your house. Other than a couple chips on the back, mine is fine even after nearky 3 years
A friend of mine has the black one. It's about 3 or 4 years old and is in perfect condition. I friggin love that guitar. Agreed the pups could use upgrading, but that's true for almost any guitar in that price range.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
white falcon/ white penguin idc if its outta price range
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Quote by Frusciante2323

Yeah WAAAYYY out of that Price range.

Anyway, I say go for it, if that's what you want. I don't really have much experience with Gretsch, so I'm not much help.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Also TS - check with the guys/gals in the Gretsch forums. There are more people with them there. My DeArmond is very similar, and I love it fwiw.
Quote by gregs1020
A friend of mine has the black one. It's about 3 or 4 years old and is in perfect condition. I friggin love that guitar. Agreed the pups could use upgrading, but that's true for almost any guitar in that price range.

Actually the Gretsch min-buckers aren't that bad. Do NOT put P-90's in it. A Gretsch should not sound like a Gibson. It should sound like a Gretsch. The stock pups do a much better job of it than a P-90
I've got the model without the bigsby, it's awesome! Of course it's not a guitar for metal etc. , I play Foo Fighters and more things like that (mainstream rock) and the pickups are good for that. The finish is looks awesome ( I have it in gold). And the price is good, too. I bought mine for 450 euros, don't know how much dollars that is.

The only thing I don't like is that the guitar is pretty heavy, but since I only play when I am sitting (when i practice), I don't really care.
Last edited by bade0815 at Mar 4, 2009,
No Gretsch.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Quote by steve108819
Actually the Gretsch min-buckers aren't that bad. Do NOT put P-90's in it. A Gretsch should not sound like a Gibson. It should sound like a Gretsch. The stock pups do a much better job of it than a P-90

I guess it depends on what tones you are going after. I'm not saying it needs new pups or that they are "bad", many or most probably get along with the stock pups just fine. I also amp not saying to, or not to, put P-90's in it. Again, it depends on the tone(s) you're going for. I think it's a nice guitar.
Quote by gregs1020
I guess it depends on what tones you are going after. I'm not saying it needs new pups or that they are "bad", many or most probably get along with the stock pups just fine. I also amp not saying to, or not to, put P-90's in it. Again, it depends on the tone(s) you're going for. I think it's a nice guitar.

I guess my thinking was most people buy a Gretsch for the "Gretschy" tone. P-90's sound more like a Gibson. Good tone, but definitely not Gretsch
Quote by GatesIsGod
No Gretsch.

Maybe instead of a Gretsch you could get a Synester Gates sig model. Or did you want quality that's more often associated with good guitarists? In that case you should stick with the Gretsch Pro Jet. Only I'd get it with the Bigsby.
Quote by GatesIsGod
No Gretsch.

Quality post there, care to elaborate?
Quote by Frusciante2323

yeah, my friend got a white falcon, he loves it, course he has like 10 different guitars, so budget isn't much an issue 4 him
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!