is the marshal jcm900 a good amp for metal. if not what marshall under 1000 bucks is.
It will definately be good enough with a boost, but the overdrive channel alone won't do it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Yes, it does metal. Whether or not you'll like the tone of it is a completely different question. The JCM2000 series is also an option, though I like the 900 better for metal. There's other brands, too. Think Peavey, Engl, Mesa, etc.
If you tell us more precisely what tone you're after and whether you are looking for an amp head (and possibly a cab) or a combo, we can help you more.
if you don't want super high gain metal then i think the jcm900 can do it alone. there is a track on my profile called mind your head which uses a les paul classic through a jcm900. its a great heavy tone in my opinion. i would say go for it its a great amp.
like some other guy stated its not wether it can do it, its wether youll like it or not.
I would suggest going for something else if you're into nothing but metal, this amp is awesome but is not for just a pure metalhead, although it pulls metal off nicely
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Alexicob
is the marshal jcm900 a good amp for metal. if not what marshall under 1000 bucks is.

I play metal, sorta like 80's metal. I played the JCM900 in a store today and the owner let me turn the gain and master volume up to 10. So it was fully cranked, and yeah... it was ****in evil... It could use a boost for really mean solos. But if your going for metallica then its good. Great tone.
Heres the breakdown of 900's.

The current issue, the Dual reverb, all of the distortion is provided by Op amps. So at low volumes, it sounds like ass - too bright, and way fizzy. Crank up the master though, and it roars.
If you can find a Dual Master or an SL-X, it will be better suited for metal. The dual master has a 10-20 gain knob that adds diode clipping to the circuit. The SL-X has the same knob, but instead adds tube gainstages to the circuit.

Though, for metal, and under 1000$, i would look outside of marshall. Peavey 5150 is always a go-to for metal, and has much more gain.
Yes.

I have 1, although I don't use it at home, because it's too loud (I got the dual reverb 100watt head).

You need a booster pedal, but after that it's perfect.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
With a boost, it can.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by ravenrage07
I play metal, sorta like 80's metal. I played the JCM900 in a store today and the owner let me turn the gain and master volume up to 10. So it was fully cranked, and yeah... it was ****in evil... It could use a boost for really mean solos. But if your going for metallica then its good. Great tone.

Turned it up 10, i think you'd be dead right now
Oh dear...

Why MUST it be Marshall? I played a JCM900 in Guitar Center, it was okay. It had a moderate amount of gain, but it would be better with an OD.

For the money, I would much rather get the Peavey 3120. Much better lead/gain channel(s).