View poll results: Which amp
Marshall DSL401
5 25%
Vox AC30
11 55%
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb
4 20%
Voters: 20.
Simply put, I'm planning to get a more powerful amp with money from a job I have now and gigs my band is playing this summer. I've outlined three choices for myself, all $1,200 or less;

Marshall DSL401; Marshall - AVT or MG + tubes = good generally. Plus, based on what I've heard on youtube, it has an excellent classic tone that, unlike MG's, actually sounds Marshally. That and a Marshall tube amp has always stood high with me. It's only got one input though, and as I'm a guitarist and vocalist and get shocked often when using two different amps, I like multiple inputs. 40W class-AB British-voiced 112. $1,200.

Vox AC30; I love Vox's amplifiers, and an AC30 has always been one of the epitomes of amplification for me. Plus it has a second input. 30W class-A British-voiced 212. $1,200.

Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb; Much like the AC30, this has always been an epitome to me. Plus it also has a second input. However if it's anything like my current Fender amp, it just has four settings; "Off, loud, more loud and overdriving". And I prefer a more controllable volume. Plus it's the lowest-wattage here. 22W Class-AB US-voiced 112. $1,200.

So, UG, thoughts? My band plays pretty much everything people hear nowadays, and my guitars are in my sig, possibly with an Epiphone Dot joining them soon.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
OK, yer trolling right?

Why would you drop $1200 on any of these amps? If you must buy new, the best all around'r is the Vox. I
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
OK, yer trolling right?

Why would you drop $1200 on any of these amps?

...I am?

Alright, suggest something to me then.

Quote by necrosis1193
...I am?

Alright, suggest something to me then.

Nearest major city?
Baltimore.

I really hope you are joking... those are horrible choices for your price limit.

What music do you play? any sort of tone you are after?

Does it have to be strictly a combo amp? You can get a pretty ballin half stack/mini stack with $1200...
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by necrosis1193
Simply put, I'm planning to get a more powerful amp with money from a job I have now and gigs my band is playing this summer. I've outlined three choices for myself, all $1,200 or less;

Marshall DSL401; Marshall - AVT or MG + tubes = good generally. Plus, based on what I've heard on youtube, it has an excellent classic tone that, unlike MG's, actually sounds Marshally. That and a Marshall tube amp has always stood high with me. It's only got one input though, and as I'm a guitarist and vocalist and get shocked often when using two different amps, I like multiple inputs. 40W class-AB British-voiced 112. $1,200.

Vox AC30; I love Vox's amplifiers, and an AC30 has always been one of the epitomes of amplification for me. Plus it has a second input. 30W class-A British-voiced 212. $1,200.

Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb; Much like the AC30, this has always been an epitome to me. Plus it also has a second input. However if it's anything like my current Fender amp, it just has four settings; "Off, loud, more loud and overdriving". And I prefer a more controllable volume. Plus it's the lowest-wattage here. 22W Class-AB US-voiced 112. $1,200.

So, UG, thoughts? My band plays pretty much everything people hear nowadays, and my guitars are in my sig, possibly with an Epiphone Dot joining them soon.

The DR is pretty quiet and really won't stay that clean at gigs. It isn't all that versitile really because it has very little gain.

The AC30 s great. The DSL is pretty good imo and def has the most gain of them all. I'd personally take the AC or fender but I think the DSL or Vox would be better for you
Quote by Khoifish321
I really hope you are joking... those are horrible choices for your price limit.

Does it have to be strictly a combo amp? You can get a pretty ballin half stack/mini stack with $1200...

As I said in the topic, really anything people hear, though I try to avoid modern pop. As for the tone, none in specific, I'm not sure myself.

I'm fine with a stack, I just really prefer combos as I hate having to drag a head and a cab around, as I've been doing with my drummer's father's halfstack.

Quote by mcrfobtai
The DR is pretty quiet and really won't stay that clean at gigs. It isn't all that versitile really because it has very little gain.

The AC30 s great. The DSL is pretty good imo and def has the most gain of them all. I'd personally take the AC or fender but I think the DSL or Vox would be better for you

Alright, will keep that in mind if I get one of them.

Quote by al112987
Vox AC30 is not class A.

Okay, I got one thing incorrect. I've never cared for the difference between them, so I don't see it as that important, so can we not nitpick?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 3, 2009,
Vox.

Vox Vox Vox.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
+1 to the AC30. Seeing as you have a ts-9, you can get just about any sound you want out of it. Mind you, it is certainly NOT a high-gain amp. As it stands, though, from all the choices you posted, the VOX cannot be beaten in terms of sound quality.

My 0.02...
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Quote by Khoifish321

how can you call an ac30 horrible? they are awsome but only at hight volumes imo. this isn't great if you want to play low volume in your bedroom. seeing as your gigging you will be cranking it a bit so my choice would be the ac30. maybe the DSL if you need more gain.
Quote by joe_k
how can you call an ac30 horrible? they are awsome but only at hight volumes imo. this isn't great if you want to play low volume in your bedroom. seeing as your gigging you will be cranking it a bit so my choice would be the ac30. maybe the DSL if you need more gain.

There are some great options used at that price. those are necissarily HORRIBLE choices. But there are some great things if you look used
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/1053063019.html Mesa 5:50 Express $950, High but a good amp.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/1042931389.html Peavey Classic 50, $500, also a bit high, but a good all around amp.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/1050177728.html Vibrolux Custom, $700, best in the bunch for the price, but you would need a good od pedal to drive it to harder rock stuff. Similar voicing to the DRRI, but twice the wattage.

There is an AC30 for $1000, which is also high for it used.

And in all fairness, "pretty much everything you hear" is kinda vague.
Of those three I would go for the VOX.

BUT

for $1200 you should definitely look at a used Mesa Lonestar. So many options as far as tone goes. 2 channels, variable wattage, switchable bias the list goes on.
Sig What?
^Will look if I can find a local mesa dealer.

^^Will look into those, especially the Classic 50. Mushc appreciated.

Hmm...alright, does "non-genre-specific" work better? One thing we agreed on was trying to put every genre in our set, so it's kind of hard to narrow it down...

yah id go for the Vox aswell.

I actually chose my C30 over a JCM900 just cause i like that Vox sound better.

I have to say next to the C30 other than the Vox, those other two amps dont hold a candle to it.

why is the C30 overlooked so many times, its not just a "i have 300 bucks, **** this is all i can afford" type of amp.

its a real beast.

If your into classic rock and just hard rock in general get a CM-2 plug into one of these and rock on my friend.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 3, 2009,
Budda Superdrive 30... you might find one used for around your budget. One of my favorite mid-gain amps ever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Mar 3, 2009,
Sorry, maybe I was exaggerating a little on "horrible", but really, there are much better choices out there than those...

Stay away from the DSL combos. If you' play one in person, you won't want to play one again. I was in the same exact position, I wanted a DSL combo, heard clips on YouTube and everywhere else, but then I had a chance to play it in person, and boy was I disappointed. Sounded like nothing I had imagined, the gain was utter crap, it was buzzy and fuzzy and hardly sounded like gain at all.

but for a DSL head, I liked it infinitely times more than the combo version. Cleans are freakin awesome, and the gain is ok, not great, but just ok. Sounds so much better if you get it modded though.

Maybe you should look into a 2x12 cab and a head? I see DSL heads go for $500-600 easy. I actually prefer 2x12s over 4x12s, much more portable and I think they sound better IMO. Also very functional in the bedroom. And don't worry, just because it's half the speakers doesn't mean that it isn't any louder.

If you like the Vox and have played it, then I'd go for that. I mean if it does everything you want and you really like it, why not?

And to be honest, I think 2x12 combos are more of a pain to transport than a quarter stack. I had a 5150 combo and it was incredibly hard to transport due to the weight. 2x12s are lighter, and the head you can always take another trip.

And also check out these combos if you want one... They are certainly in the $1200 range, used that is

Mesa Mark combos
Budda combo (like above)
Orange Rocker 30
Framus Ruby
Engl Thunder (I think this is the model name? I always get them mixed up)
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Last edited by Khoifish321 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
^Will look if I can find a local mesa dealer.

^^Will look into those, especially the Classic 50. Mushc appreciated.

Hmm...alright, does "non-genre-specific" work better? One thing we agreed on was trying to put every genre in our set, so it's kind of hard to narrow it down...

Since you aren't sure of the direction with genre, I'd personally go the Classic 50 route. You can spend less and flip it later for near the same if you want something different. It's a gas friendly solution. Although the same can be said for all the amps I listed so how much help was that? I guess the classic 50 is the most cost effective option.
if you think your ganna be ussing alot of gain most of the time more than just mid-gain, look into a JCM900 combo.

Marshalls are just overpriced for what they offer.

Vox's on the other hand even tough there made in china are hot damn the ****.
Quote by Khoifish321
Sorry, maybe I was exaggerating a little on "horrible", but really, there are much better choices out there than those...

Stay away from the DSL combos. If you' play one in person, you won't want to play one again. I was in the same exact position, I wanted a DSL combo, heard clips on YouTube and everywhere else, but then I had a chance to play it in person, and boy was I disappointed. Sounded like nothing I had imagined, the gain was utter crap, it was buzzy and fuzzy and hardly sounded like gain at all.

but for a DSL head, I liked it infinitely times more than the combo version. Cleans are freakin awesome, and the gain is ok, not great, but just ok. Sounds so much better if you get it modded though.

Maybe you should look into a 2x12 cab and a head? I see DSL heads go for $500-600 easy. I actually prefer 2x12s over 4x12s, much more portable and I think they sound better IMO. Also very functional in the bedroom. And don't worry, just because it's half the speakers doesn't mean that it isn't any louder.

If you like the Vox and have played it, then I'd go for that. I mean if it does everything you want and you really like it, why not?

And to be honest, I think 2x12 combos are more of a pain to transport than a quarter stack. I had a 5150 combo and it was incredibly hard to transport due to the weight. 2x12s are lighter, and the head you can always take another trip.

And also check out these combos if you want one... They are certainly in the $1200 range, used that is

Mesa Mark combos
Budda combo (like above)
Orange Rocker 30
Framus Ruby
Engl Thunder (I think this is the model name? I always get them mixed up)

Hmm...suppose I'll just look into what I can afford that seems fitting next time I go to GC.

Quote by gregs1020
Since you aren't sure of the direction with genre, I'd personally go the Classic 50 route. You can spend less and flip it later for near the same if you want something different. It's a gas friendly solution. Although the same can be said for all the amps I listed so how much help was that? I guess the classic 50 is the most cost effective option.

Yeah, I was heavily leaning towards the Classic 50 due to being, well, poor, and $1,200 being a bit of a personal stretch. XP

Quote by necrosis1193

Okay, I got one thing incorrect. I've never cared for the difference between them, so I don't see it as that important, so can we not nitpick?

Well you listed it so I thought it might matter to you.

The Deluxe Reverb is not really that loud at all. I would go for a Super Reverb over Deluxe Reverb.
if you could somehow find a used orange ad30 combo, that would be great. you can get a vox-style clean from it, and i think it has more gain than an ac30
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...suppose I'll just look into what I can afford that seems fitting next time I go to GC.

Yeah, I was heavily leaning towards the Classic 50 due to being, well, poor, and $1,200 being a bit of a personal stretch. XP

Outside of the Mesa's you are not going to find those amps Khoifish suggested at GC. Maybe the Engl if you are lucky.

What gregs1020 showed you is the way to go. Keep your eyes peeled to craigslist and start setting up appointments to check stuff out.