So I think I want to get a condenser mic, but I don't really wanna spend over $100. Anyway, the CAD GXL3000 is on Musicians Friend scratch-n-dent for $85, which is about $35 off. Does anyone know anything about the quality of it? I'm looking at it for vocals really, and maybe acoustic guitar someday. Is it gonna be better for recording than a Shure 58 or 57, or should I just go the standard route and get one of those? Also, can you use condensers for live practice in a full band setting? I gather that they are considered to be too fragile for gigs, but do they work in practice?
Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 at Mar 3, 2009,
dunno much about those, sorry - I have an AKG c1000s which I got used on ebay for around that budget which I can recommend as an alternative though.

They're pretty tough and a good all-rounder condenser as i understand it
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I didn't even think to check ebay

Some one has recommended this Rode NT1A to me before, but I thought it was out of my price range. I just searched ebay for it though and there is one for 80 bucks. What do you guys think? I don't have much experience with ebay.

Here's the link to the auction

95% positive feedback, with no negatives in the last month. Seems legit.
Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 at Mar 3, 2009,
The NT1 is a great mic and that would be a good price as well. Unfortunately I cannot help you on the other mics. But as already said I have heard good things about the AKG C1000s also check out the Rode NT3 if you can find one used.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by dolphinfan2k5
I didn't even think to check ebay

Some one has recommended this Rode NT1A to me before, but I thought it was out of my price range. I just searched ebay for it though and there is one for 80 bucks. What do you guys think? I don't have much experience with ebay.

Here's the link to the auction

95% positive feedback, with no negatives in the last month. Seems legit.

I would - but I always buy using paypal - that way if its damaged or not as described in the listing you know you will get your money back
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
If I do end up getting it, will I need anything else with it? I have a Tascam US-144, and Cubase LE4. And can you use condensers for live practice?

I also found one of the AKG C 1000's going for $50 with 21 hours left, which do you guys think is better?
Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 at Mar 4, 2009,
I have not used that mic but can vouch for the AKG, you will need to use a battery if you dont have phantom power on the tascam jobbie - I'm not sure if the node has a battery compartment.....? if it doesn't you will need something which will send power to it (like a pre-amp or mixer)

if the AKG comes with the case etc your'e sorted and if you get it for $80 then i'm jealous and if you arent happy I'll buy it off ya for that price so i can have two! or do a swap for an SM58 or something,
It's got a couple bidders, so it will probably go up. I'm pretty sure the Tascam has phantom power. At least, there is a switch on it that says phantom on/off.
NT1A's are really good...
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
NT1A's are really good...

Must admit after looking into them, they do look really good
Well I ended up getting the Rode NT1A for $130... Accidentally put my maximum bid in too high, but it only raised it five bucks haha. So I kinda got it accidentally, but, good deal?
Yeah that is a good deal assuming it is in good shape and everything. Congrats
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off