Now, before I get destroyed for asking about classical in the metal forum, I'd like to state that I do have my reasons for putting it here. I know a lot of visitors to the metal forum have an extensive library of classical music, appreciate it perhaps more than any other forum, and most likely have knowledge of the type I'm looking for. Now on to the problem:

Basically, I'm looking to get into classical music. Only problem would be that there is such a huge amount of ****, and so many renditions of different pieces by different groups, that I have no idea where to even begin.

The type of music I'm looking for is naturally something that is metal-esque. Heavy, crushing, melancholic, beautiful, atmospheric, sweeping, brooding compositions. I love symphonies, so any famous piece on strings would be good. But even the more famous pieces that have an overall minor feel to them (Mozart, Beethoven etc...) would be okay. Things I have taken note of already are some of Vivaldi's pieces (although I have no idea which one I heard), and the pieces they play at mass (Kyrie, Gloria etc... although I heard a particularly dark version done in gregorian chant that I can't seem to find.) I also hear that some of the more famous Russians compose some seriously heavy ****.

Really, anything would be appreciated. Please respond if you have any pieces that you enjoy and fit the description I'm looking for. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, if you happen to know the performer(s) of the piece you're recommending, that would be great too.
Last edited by metal7690 at Mar 3, 2009,
Nicolo Paganini - Great Italian Violinist/Composer

Anton Webern - Great German (I believe) composer from the early-mid 1900's, wrote some really messed up dissonant stuff, I highly recommend you check this out.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Check out Bach's Mass in B minor if you haven't heard it already, it has the stuff you're referring to, Kyrie, Gloria, Credo I believe, and Agnus Dei.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdLCcQixNvg

Also, try Henry Purcell's funeral mass for Queen Mary, it's the music that they play in A Clockwork Orange at the very beginning, powerful stuff.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Mar 3, 2009,
The obvious answer here is Wagner.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Yeah, Paganini is great. Also check out Chopin and Bach. Toccata and Fugue is excellent. Igor Stravinsky is also a great composer.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
^This too, also try Mussorgsky I think that's how you spell it, anyway, check out Night on Bald Mountain.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Beethoven's Fifth and Ninth symphonies will get you started.
Yes, Wagner will also be good to listen to as well.
I'll toss this in, as well-Shostakovitch's symphonies. He's a Russian composer that may fit your listening needs.
The Rough Guide to Classical Music will also assist you greatly. It's the perfect guide to getting you started with classical music, as is your local library.
Quote by nebiru

Yes, very obvious.

Baroque
Scarletti
Corelli
Bach

Romantic

Beethoven
Liszt
Chopin
Last edited by Trefellin at Mar 3, 2009,
Use this,
http://www.youtube.com/user/OedipusColoneus

This guy has pretty much all of the Western Art Music you'll need.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by nebiru

+1

Seriously, that man is exactly what you're looking for.
Quote by tonepro
Beethoven's Fifth and Ninth symphonies will get you started.
Yes, Wagner will also be good to listen to as well.
I'll toss this in, as well-Shostakovitch's symphonies. He's a Russian composer that may fit your listening needs.
The Rough Guide to Classical Music will also assist you greatly. It's the perfect guide to getting you started with classical music, as is your local library.

Shostakovitch's String Quartet no. 8 in C minor is pretty dark. Beautiful.
YNGWIE MALMSTEEN!!!!!1111ONE

^ Yes, that is a troll post if you haven't yet noticed. Although Malmsteen did have some great classical work with the Japanese Philharmonic or whoever. Icarus Dream Fanfare = amazing.
Quote by Contraband

Holy **** man, I just realized that one of the Grieg songs you linked is covered by Storm! I loved that one, it was my favourite, you kick ass contraband!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Beethoven's 5th
Paganini's 5th (i'm beginning to see a pattern here...)
Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (i wrecked it)
Bach's Toccata and Fugue, Badinere, Bouree (just about anything)
Vivaldi's four seasons

That should hole you off for a while.
I did an extremely slowed down Moonlight Sonata on an organ for a funeral doom demo that I want to release. I'll record it and show it to you lot tomorrow I guess...
Quote by The Virtuoso
Holy **** man, I just realized that one of the Grieg songs you linked is covered by Storm! I loved that one, it was my favourite, you kick ass contraband!

Glad you like it.

Classical music is everywhere in metal.

Mars, Bringer of War is used by Symphony X (Divine Wings of Tragedy intro) and by Nile (Ramses Bringer of War intro).
Solveigs Song by Grieg is the intro of some Kamelot song which I can't for the life of me remember.
Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg (I initially wrote Krieg, ) is used on one of the songs on Till Fjalls by Vintersorg.
Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet is in Only Ash Remains by Necrophagist.
Symphony X also used some classical parts on V: Mythology Suite.

And I'm just scratching the surface.

I highly, highly recommend Vivaldi to anyone. While the Four Seasons (esp. Spring) is drastically overplayed, it's still amazing. Summer is absolutely fantastic. But most importantly, most other Vivaldi compositions are really awesome and underrated.
I've found Jesus
Vivaldi and Panganini are IMO great if you want metal sounding stuff. Look up Panganini's 5th and 24th Caprice's, they are god-like.
Quote by Contraband
Glad you like it.

Classical music is everywhere in metal.

Mars, Bringer of War is used by Symphony X (Divine Wings of Tragedy intro) and by Nile (Ramses Bringer of War intro).
Solveigs Song by Grieg is the intro of some Kamelot song which I can't for the life of me remember.
Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg (I initially wrote Krieg, ) is used on one of the songs on Till Fjalls by Vintersorg.
Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet is in Only Ash Remains by Necrophagist.
Symphony X also used some classical parts on V: Mythology Suite.

And I'm just scratching the surface.

I highly, highly recommend Vivaldi to anyone. While the Four Seasons (esp. Spring) is drastically overplayed, it's still amazing. Summer is absolutely fantastic. But most importantly, most other Vivaldi compositions are really awesome and underrated.

Yeah that stuff was great man!

Yeah metal is riddled with classical allusions, the most obvious ones being the one's you listed.
Quote by Senor Kristian
I recommend Prokofiev.
Not really a fan of classical music but I love his stuff
I know exactly the compositions your looking for.

Igor Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

Arnold Schoenberg - Verklarte Nacht http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP2Pr9Mu8D4&feature=PlayList&p=E9E286E3FF5C182C&playnext=1&index=7

Shostakovich - String Quartet No. 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjvTTfbpWjY&feature=related (if that second movement ain't brutal then I don't know what is)

Bela Bartok - The Miraculous Mandarin

Richard Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra

So, so much more, but that's all for now.
Check out The Planets by Holst.

Fantastic stuff.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Contraband

Holy piss that was epic. I am glad I came into this thread.

EDIT:
Gregorian chant.

What metalhead doesn't like men in robes singing stuff exclusively harmonised in perfetc fitths?

Have you ever heard a Russian Bass? Here. The voice doesn't even sound human. Blows my mind every time.
Last edited by madbasslover at Mar 4, 2009,