I have been looking for a thread for a while about this, and just wanted to ask if you guys think the vypyr tube is really worth the extra $150 over the 75. I played both at the store (only at low volumes) and could not tell any major differences. I am looking for a new amp from my line 6 spider 3 and want one big enough for small gigs and very versatile. My price range is $500. My main choices are those vypyrs but i am open to other suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help. Also if i got the vypyr 75 i could also do a speaker change or just spend the extra on a new guitar. The styles i play are all types of rock, metal, and a bit of jazz/funk.
Didn't i just see this at the New members forum?????
Anyways, if you ever get the chance, crank the crap out of the tube and then test the difference.
I'd make sure you try them both at higher volumes (make the guys at gc drag them into the loud room, I have them do this all the time) and decide for yourself. I'd personally get the 75 just because it's cheaper, but I'm not you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Never compromise with tone.

Go for whichever sounds best to you by doing a "Kevin Saale" and making GC workers earn their paycheck!

Crank it up

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
^Bad thing is, the last time I did that I didn't buy an amp and ended up getting the one I liked used. Lol, I'm a prick.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Bad thing is, the last time I did that I didn't buy an amp and ended up getting the one I liked used. Lol, I'm a prick.

Still playing with guitar equipment is ALWAYS fun

You aren't a prick, GG&A love you very much

E-Married to Funny_Page
Well, that doesn't may not make me a prick, but I certainly am one.

I did that when the egnater rebel came out, they were all jizzin in their pants over it. After I tried it the guy asked what I thought. I said I didn't like it and he looked like I had just kicked his puppy or something.
I own the 60 watt tube version. I played all of them for hours before I bought. The 60 watt tube amp sounds amazing. It has the same power section as the 6505 so you get the same power tube sound that you get out of a real 6505. The 6505 model is dead on. Some of the other models are too. The twin model is amazing on the green channel. It is very warm with the tube version it does not sound near as good on the SS version. Not nearly as warm.

This amp has the red channel and green channel of each amp so remember to push the button in to switch it on each amp. If you go to the twin model don't keep it on the red channel for a good clean put it on the green channel for a good clean..

All of the FX are great. The rack effects and stombox effects. The speaker in the tube version is swell as well. It's also really loud and works well hooking up a 4x12 cab to it.

Volume wise it works at low volume and high volume well. If you want to play the tube version at high volume turn your master volume all the way up and use your post gain to adjust the volume. If you want to play at low volume turn your post gain up and use your master as a volume control. With this system they have allowed you to get tube saturation at low volumes.

A lot of people on here bought the solid state version because they know how loud 60 watt tube amps are normally but like I said they have found a way to allow you to play low too. You can also use headphones but that doesn't sound as good.

The power section like I said is all tube... it's not hybrid. No ss in it. The preamp is hybrid one pre amp tube and the rest solid state with peaveys transtube technology so it does not sound digital. You can't tell it's a hybrid amp.

The vypyr tube is a beautiful thing. I haven't messed with my 6505 or rec in like a month I've been playing only my vypyr and I hated modeling amps before. Peavey really done it right I'm still impressed everytime I turn it on..

Hope this helped... And trust me.. get the tube version. The solid state version is still a great amp but it does not sound like the real thing. The tube version sounds like the real amps it models. It has a good xxx, jsx, krakenstein, dizel, peavey classic, fender twin (my favorite clean), Mesa rectifier (my favorite high gain channel. and a DAMN good 6505 model that sounds exactly like the real thing. Due to you having the real 6505 power section you already have the real 6505 power tube sound and you can't tell the preamp sound isn't exactly like the real thing.

It's a very tight amp and you'll have hours of fun. recording is great...get you an sm57 mic and mic your speaker. You can get a TON of tones for recordings. You can record one track with a 6505 and double it with the mesa model and get an AMAZING metal tone. For cleans nothing beats the green channel twin.

Edit: I also know some people who have changed the speaker out and put 75's and v 30's in it. Well they ended up going back to the stock speaker. peavey researched what speaker would sound the best with this amp and don't think because it's a stock speaker that it sucks. The speaker is tight as hell and has tons of low end. Honestly they did the speaker right. They took their time on this amp. Some of the lower grade vypyrs do not have the same speaker as the tube version which is a damn good speaker.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Well, that doesn't may not make me a prick, but I certainly am one.

I did that when the egnater rebel came out, they were all jizzin in their pants over it. After I tried it the guy asked what I thought. I said I didn't like it and he looked like I had just kicked his puppy or something.

Honesty...something they never train you for when working with customers.

I can't wait for the day I come into my local corporate guitar shop with my JCM800 wanting to test out attenuators and guitars

E-Married to Funny_Page
I even held back, I really wanted to say it sucked, especially for the price. I'm glad I didn't, I couldn't have an emo suicide on my conscious. No wait, I could.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I even held back, I really wanted to say it sucked, especially for the price. I'm glad I didn't, I couldn't have an emo suicide on my conscious. No wait, I could.

Heartless bastard

E-Married to Funny_Page