How much do you think it will realistically set you back to get lessons and a licence and buy a car in the UK, specifically London.

I've always kind of hated the idea of driving in London, you obviously wouldn't be able to afford to drive it to work or school but starting to like the idea of freedom.

What do you think?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
London?

lessons-£300 including the tests, if your good.
Car- £100 For a banger
Insurance- Over a thousand quid easily. especially if you have to pay penis tax
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
damn really? £1000? that is ****! does the tax go up in relation to the size of my dong? I can't afford that!

I kid I kid, it's very moderate.

I guess it is out of the question then. I only work part time in retail lol.
Quote by GaijinFoot
damn really? £1000? that is ****! does the tax go up in relation to the size of my dong? I can't afford that!

I kid I kid, it's very moderate.

I guess it is out of the question then. I only work part time in retail lol.

As men, we have to pay a penis tax when insuring our cars. Apparently price based on sex is ok as long as its car insurance.

I've still yet to see a quote based on race though, strange really since its the same principal.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Mar 3, 2009,
Cities are always a bastard for insurance, plus if you're a new driver you're a bigger risk, so you pay for it.
well my driving lessons cost £15 a week for 6 months and for argument's sake let's say there are 4 weeks in a month so £60 a month so £360 on lessons
you'll probably spend about £100 on tests (i can't remember how much it cost me)
my first car cost me £450 (was a total banger)
it cost £600 to insure it for a year

so 360 + 100 + 450 + 600 = £1510

and i didn't add the tax either but then it would only add another £50 at most

and that's for wreck of a car that didn't last me a year so i'd recommend spending at least a grand on the car itself

and it will continually drain your wallet from there on, i spend about £15 a week on diesel which is pretty good for the amount of driving i do
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
well my driving lessons cost £15 a week for 6 months and for argument's sake let's say there are 4 weeks in a month so £60 a month so £360 on lessons
you'll probably spend about £100 on tests (i can't remember how much it cost me)
my first car cost me £450 (was a total banger)
it cost £600 to insure it for a year

so 360 + 100 + 450 + 600 = £1510

and i didn't add the tax either but then it would only add another £50 at most

and that's for wreck of a car that didn't last me a year so i'd recommend spending at least a grand on the car itself

and it will continually drain your wallet from there on, i spend about £15 a week on diesel which is pretty good for the amount of driving i do

really? I got a car for a hundred quid 3 years ago and I haven't had a single problem with it!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
maybe I should just not then? I only earn £600 a month lol would be nice though.....

what would be an appropriate car? Feista? cilo? mini metro? robin reliant?
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by wiggy1988
really? I got a car for a hundred quid 3 years ago and I haven't had a single problem with it!

i had a corsa that i unwittingly bought in the middle of summer for £450ish, come winter i realised the error of my ways when my car turned into a mobile paddling pool.

after this i started taking a "oh well **** it" attitude to the car and drove it through a flood which the engine didn't like and then after leaving it to dry for a few weeks i sold it for £300 and went and bought a lovely '05 clio

TS basically buy any car with less than a 1.4 litre engine and the insurance companies won't rape you that hard and don't bother doing pass plus, it doesn't help your insurance premium as much as you're told it does
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by GaijinFoot
Owning a car in the UK
You can't own a car in the UK. They're totally anal about shit like that. Oh, wait. It's firearms you can't own. Nevermind. Just be prepared to offer your first-born in trade and you can own a car in the UK.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You're looking at about £1500-2000 overall.
And then there is the insurance.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
so probably about £2000 with insurance? still I think I should start taking lessons. AA look the best. any recommendations?
Quote by GaijinFoot
so probably about £2000 with insurance? still I think I should start taking lessons. AA look the best. any recommendations?

No way.
I passed my licence at 19, got a Pass Plus certificate and applied for insurance and the best they gave me was £1200.
So if you can get a licence and lessons and an old banger for only £800 then maybe.

AA are apparently good but I don't know how much the lessons are in comparison.
Ask your mates and see what they said about their instructors: mine was an absolutely amazing bloke and my best friend recommended him. If he hadn't I wouldn't be driving today.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Well, I live in Essex, and my expenses re: car are about this:

Lessons - about £250 total.
Car - it's a 2002 Ford Fiesta, and I paid £3,700 for it.
Road tax - £140.
Servicing each year - £200.
MOTT - £50-60.
Insurance - At first I paid £1200. I'm female and live in the countryside though. Yours will be more, much more, in a city and as a male. Last year it was about £1000, although that was not including my no claims bonus as I managed to hit a wall >.>
Voluntary excess for when I hit the wall - £750. (Total damage was £1680, rest was covered by insurance).
Petrol - It costs me about £35 to fill my tank completely.

So...cars are pretty pricey.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
Car - it's a 2002 Ford Fiesta, and I paid £3,700 for it.

Damn girl you got nailed, and not in a good way
Good job on your lessons though: that's a very good price to get them all at

Overall the price table you gave is a very good indication of how expensive it is: very.

Y siempre
Y para siempre